The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

12 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Ryan Johnson doesn't want to acquire so many PTO contracts like they did this past season.  So they are signing players to play in the ECHL and call them up when injuries arise or when they need extra bodies.

With the overwhelming glut of players in both the Canucks and Comets depth chart, we are likely to see even some of our prominent prospects sent down to Kalamazoo (if we reup with them).

Forwards signed to Comets contracts (not vancouver property)

LW/C - Carter Bancks

C- Wacey Hamilton

W - Reid Gardiner

W - Tanner MacMaster

W- Brendan Bradley

C - Cam Darcy

W - Vincent Arseneau

I added my thoughts on the list of AHL contracts.

LW/C - Carter Bancks - Team captain and dressing room leader.

C- Wacey Hamilton - Alternate captain and dressing room leader.  (I would have been fine with not bringing him back)

W - Reid Gardiner - Depth player that will start in the ECHL and be an injury call up.

W - Tanner MacMaster - Late season college ATO last year.  Very impressed with his vision and will start in the AHL.

W- Brendan Bradley - Depth player that will start in the ECHL and be an injury call up.

C - Cam Darcy - Fills a needed role of being able to play at center.

W - Vincent Arseneau - Adds toughness and will be a frequent healthy scratch. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

C- Wacey Hamilton - Alternate captain and dressing room leader.  (I would have been fine with not bringing him back)

W - Reid Gardiner - Depth player that will start in the ECHL and be an injury call up.

W - Tanner MacMaster - Late season college ATO last year.  Very impressed with his vision and will start in the AHL.

W- Brendan Bradley - Depth player that will start in the ECHL and be an injury call up.

So life begins, without Megna and Chaput...

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So life begins, without Megna and Chaput...

Chaput will be missed.  Megna unfortunately missed months of the season after a dirty hit by Miro Aaltonen from the Marlies right at the time he was playing his best hockey for the Comets.  Megna took a lot of heat in Vancouver because Willie played him so much but he was a good AHL player and occasional NHL injury call up.  He is just not a full time NHL player.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Very much how I thought too.

Wonder if the Comets will plan to add a few Dman to what they already have.  Already have Blujus and Sifers.

Do you foresee whether they will resign the likes of Aaron Irving and/or Adam Comrie to contracts to sit in the ECHL as depth or will the explore a different route?

12 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Chaput will be missed.  Megna unfortunately missed months of the season after a dirty hit by Miro Aaltonen from the Marlies right at the time he was playing his best hockey for the Comets.  Megna took a lot of heat in Vancouver because Willie played him so much but he was a good AHL player and occasional NHL injury call up.  He is just not a full time NHL player.

WD played him because he was fast, was a hard worker and helped suppress the opposition - but ultimately because that was all Jimbo gave him. Willie paid the price for Jimbo's "schooling" (i.e. don't get caught with FA in the "cupboard") and Green has benefitted from that schooling.

Willie, let's remember took the team Tortorella crapped the bed with (with two or three new faces) to the Playoffs with 101points - THAT was the calibre of the man,  NOT his performances when the team was weakened, where he was asked to use 8 players with little or no NHL experience including prospects who hadn't even played against men before.

Nevertheless HE COACHED THESE BOYS THE RIGHT WAY, including Tryamkin who went back to Russia fitter and better equipped than he had ever been and became a "star"

in Russia.

Fans like you will also appreciate how hard it is to win the Calder Cup what with call ups and injuries yet Desjardins did it with a Texas Stars roster that looks like a "who's who" of absolute nobodies.

Don't misunderstand me, I realise you are not getting at him but it makes me sick how disrespectful our fans have been to WD. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Seeing how teams are becoming more and more involved with their minor affiliates, we may start to see the ECHL more as a positive developmental league for prospects.  If more teams can jump on board, the ECHL may even become more competitive and a viable option for prospects to develop in.

Based on how many prospects and players on roster for both the Canucks and Comets, it would not surprise me at all if certain prospects (even our notable ones) find themselves starting in the ECHL.

The article also references some players who have developed in the ECHL who have made the NHL, and who have made an impact in the AHL.  As for Tony Camernasi featured in the article was one of the PTO's the Utica Comets signed last season.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 1

Meh, it's a secondary development option. It's not that far off of hiring sleep doctors and all that to try and gain an advantage. Every team has prospects that either have a rough start in the AHL, or aren't really good enough coming out of junior or from overseas to fit in a crowded AHL lineup. There will be some gems that get turned up, but it's still a longshot league, even more than the AHL.

I feel like this is how Utica should look for the start of the year as of right now:

Dahlen - Granlund - Boucher

Motte - Kero - Lind

Gadjovich - Gaudette - Palmu

Archibald - Gaunce - Jasek

MacEwan

MacMaster, Carcone, Bancks, Darcy, Hamilton

That's a very, very deep forward core with lot's of talent and high end ability. They would probably have  3 #1 centers in Granlund, Kero and Gaunce, which is a major improvement from this past year. Gaudette is also no slouch. In that lineup, Dahlen is put in a prime scoring position to allow him to develop offensively in North America, which he was supposed to do this past year. Gaudette is allowed to adjust to the pro game (which I think will happen fairly quickly) and can be moved up and down the lineup as he earns more ice time. Gadjovich and Palmu are allowed free reign to play their game in somewhat sheltered minutes, which should help Gadjovich especially. Again, the young players should be moved up and down the lineup as their play dictates as allowing them to gain confidence is more important than allowing someone like Kero or Granlund to get more comfortable. 

Juolevi - McEneny

Sautner - Chatfield

Brisebois - Sifers/Blujus

Sifers/Blujus, Dirk

Juolevi get's #1 minutes and plays in all situations. I wanted him to make the team out of camp this year, but it looks unlikely with his surgery. I don't expect him to play the full year in the AHL though. Chatfield is given a chance to show that he can translate his OHL game to the pro game with increased minutes after a solid rookie season. Brisebois is moved back to LD, which is where he'll likely play if he spends time in the NHL eventually. McEneny and Sautner are two more experienced defensemen that can eat up minutes is one or more of the young guys falters. 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I feel like this is how Utica should look for the start of the year as of right now:

Dahlen - Granlund - Boucher

Motte - Kero - Lind

Gadjovich - Gaudette - Palmu

Archibald - Gaunce - Jasek

MacEwan

MacMaster, Carcone, Bancks, Darcy, Hamilton

That's a very, very deep forward core with lot's of talent and high end ability. They would probably have  3 #1 centers in Granlund, Kero and Gaunce, which is a major improvement from this past year. Gaudette is also no slouch. In that lineup, Dahlen is put in a prime scoring position to allow him to develop offensively in North America, which he was supposed to do this past year. Gaudette is allowed to adjust to the pro game (which I think will happen fairly quickly) and can be moved up and down the lineup as he earns more ice time. Gadjovich and Palmu are allowed free reign to play their game in somewhat sheltered minutes, which should help Gadjovich especially. Again, the young players should be moved up and down the lineup as their play dictates as allowing them to gain confidence is more important than allowing someone like Kero or Granlund to get more comfortable. 

Juolevi - McEneny

Sautner - Chatfield

Brisebois - Sifers/Blujus

Sifers/Blujus, Dirk

Juolevi get's #1 minutes and plays in all situations. I wanted him to make the team out of camp this year, but it looks unlikely with his surgery. I don't expect him to play the full year in the AHL though. Chatfield is given a chance to show that he can translate his OHL game to the pro game with increased minutes after a solid rookie season. Brisebois is moved back to LD, which is where he'll likely play if he spends time in the NHL eventually. McEneny and Sautner are two more experienced defensemen that can eat up minutes is one or more of the young guys falters. 

In what world is Granlund going to be sent down? I'd sooner trade him than risk losing him to waivers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

In what world is Granlund going to be sent down? I'd sooner trade him than risk losing him to waivers.

I'd rather waive Granlund than Goldobin or Leipsic. I don't think there's a high chance he would get claimed if we waived him and there's a higher chance one of the other two would. There's also not much room at all for him in the lineup now.

22 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'd rather waive Granlund than Goldobin or Leipsic. I don't think there's a high chance he would get claimed if we waived him and there's a higher chance one of the other two would. There's also not much room at all for him in the lineup now.

Minnesota would never let Granlund through waivers.  

15 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Minnesota would never let Granlund through waivers.  

Minnesota currently has 25 players on their roster (15 forwards) without including Zucker and Dumba. They're a fairly crowded team and likely wouldn't have any more room for Granlund than we do. 

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Umm, no. If Granlund hits waivers, he will easily be picked up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Confirmation of the Kulbakov signing as well as another ECHL depth forward for the Comets.

Wonder if the Comets will sign some Dmen.  Hoping they bring back Aaron irving.  Had a very solid first pro year in the ECHL after posting 48 points for the KWings.

On 2018-07-16 at 6:37 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Echoing what others said. No way Granlund goes unclaimed.

Not sure why we'd need to choose anyway. IMO Biega gets waived and we go with 14F/7D (at least to start) LOONNNNNNNG before they think of putting Granlund on waivers.

And this of course assumes both Goldobin and Leipsic earn spots (which is not the foregone conclusion some make it to be, though I do think it likely).

Edited by aGENT

On 7/4/2018 at 12:52 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Trade Baertchi and Granlund for picks

2018/2019 Canucks lines

Goldobin Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Sutter Pettersson 

Roussel Beagle Virtanen

Leipsic Schaller Archibald  

Gaunce

Edler Stetcher

Del Zotto Tanev 

Hughes Gudbranson 

Hutton Pouliot 

Markstrom 

Neilson 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2018/2019 Utica Comets lines

Boucher - Kero - Motte

Dahlen - Gaudette - Lind 

Jasek - MacEwan  - Palmu 

Gadjovich - Darcy - Carcone 

Hamilton, McMaster

Juolevi - McEneny

Brisebois - Chatfield 

Sautner - Blujus

Sifers, Dirk

Demko

Bachman 

I just can't see Goldobin kicking out Baertschi out of his spot. IMO Goldobin's upside is basically Baertschi anyways. There's too many players vying for NHL roster spots for Archibald to crack it. I see it as:

Leipsic Horvat Boeser

Baerstchi Sutter Petterson

Roussell Beagle Virtanen
Schaller Granlund Ericksson

Goldobin

Gudbranson Edler

Hughes Tanev

MDZ Stetcher

Hutton, Pouliot (is he still a part of the team?) 

Markstrom

Nillson

I don't know the AHL lifers too well but is this a reasonable line up for the Comets?

Boucher Gaudette Motte

Dahlen Gaunce Lind

Jasek MacEwan Palmu

Gadjovich Darcy Archibald

Joulevi McEneny

Brisebois Chatfield

Sautner Biega

Demko

Bachman

If not, what do others see as a starting lineup? Also, do people see all the oncoming prospects (Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Jasek, Palmu, Gaudette) as being good enough for the AHL?

23 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Instead of Granlund going down, why not send Gagner down? We could afford to lose him...his effectiveness is much less than Granlund

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2