The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

By what team?   Early in season, most teams are right full up with contracts.

There are a few teams (NYR for example) with less than 12 forwards currently on the roster, and I think he'd be an upgrade on most teams' 13th forward. Granted, a lot can change between now and the end of preseason but I'd think Granlund would get claimed on waivers.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

yup, they are all right full up Rob.  Then why do many teams sign players to try outside for training camp.  You might remember a certain try out getting scooped from the Canucks during camp not too long ago.  Teams are scrambling to ice their best teams and there are more than a couple teams that will see Granlund as an upgrade to their worst forward.  Frankly the Canucks should be on that list too.  So not sure why this is such a discussion.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

There are a few teams (NYR for example) with less than 12 forwards currently on the roster, and I think he'd be an upgrade on most teams' 13th forward. Granted, a lot can change between now and the end of preseason but I'd think Granlund would get claimed on waivers.

The Rangers have both Andersson and Chytil who have pretty decent chances of making the team (especially Chytil since he played a couple games last year). That brings them up to 14 forwards. The Rangers in general are regarded as a smaller team, so Granlund doesn't really help there. Furthermore, they've come out and publicly said that they're rebuilding, so adding Granlund for depth doesn't do much for them. 

8 hours ago, TGT68 said:

yup, they are all right full up Rob.  Then why do many teams sign players to try outside for training camp.  You might remember a certain try out getting scooped from the Canucks during camp not too long ago.  Teams are scrambling to ice their best teams and there are more than a couple teams that will see Granlund as an upgrade to their worst forward.  Frankly the Canucks should be on that list too.  So not sure why this is such a discussion.  

They are “signed” to come to training camp, they come hoping to be signed.   The facts are this - name a waived player of consequence the Canucks have lost.

8 hours ago, TGT68 said:

What teams are those?  Who are all these Canucks over the years that have been waived and lost that mattered that has you so concerned?

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They are “signed” to come to training camp, they come hoping to be signed.   The facts are this - name a waived player of consequence the Canucks have lost.

The point is....name a player of Granlund stature the Canucks have waived?  Still young.  Experienced.  19 goals year before last.  

Not gonna happen.  

4 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

The point is....name a player of Granlund stature the Canucks have waived?  Still young.  Experienced.  19 goals year before last.  

Not gonna happen.  

Canucks will waive better and better players as they improve as a team.   There are a lot of Granlunds that get waived across the league every year - few are claimed.   IF he comes to camp and earns a spot and returns to a great form, then he won't be waived.   If he is beaten for a spot by a better prepared player who demonstrates commitment to an even higher ceiling, you simply need to move on.

Part of improving as a team is having lots of competition and having to make hard decisions.   It will be up Granlund to make that decision with him one that has him staying in the NHL and with Vancouver.    If that doesn't happen, I still don't know what all the angst is about as it simply means someone better took his spot - fact of life if you truly want to get better that such things will happen.

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Most teams,  just like us, have several players who don't have to pass through waivers if they added a guy like Granny.

Not saying he will/should be waived or who would claim him - just that it's doable if a team decided to go that route. 

As for the total contract size limit there's generally several teams in the league under that limit at all times is my understanding - but admittedly I don't scrutinize teams' contract numbers like some people around here claim to.

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Most teams,  just like us, have several players who don't have to pass through waivers if they added a guy like Granny.

Not saying he will/should be waived or who would claim him - just that it's doable if a team decided to go that route. 

As for the total contract size limit there's generally several teams in the league under that limit at all times is my understanding - but admittedly I don't scrutinize teams' contract numbers like some people around here claim to.

All that is great but the main point is this, waiver eligible or not, if any player is simply no longer meeting the threshold of the Vancouver Canucks (and they should be improved), then why all the angst?   This is what a rebuild looks like - competition.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

All that is great but the main point is this, waiver eligible or not, if any player is simply no longer meeting the threshold of the Vancouver Canucks (and they should be improved), then why all the angst?   This is what a rebuild looks like - competition.

Waiving players causes 'angst' as you put it with many CDC'ers for the exact reason you and I discussed about a month or so ago - it all boils down to 'perceived' value and you needn't go any further than the CDC traded proposal section to realize many people here have literally zero understanding of true player value sadly.  

• Cheers 1

You guys are confusing angst over losing a player with criticism of an unrealistic Utica line up projection.  

If any player is not good enough they should be waived or traded.  Sure.  

But we are talking about Utica.  And the point is it is unrealistic to project Granlund on Utica.  And that was only the first thing wrong with the line up projection.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

You guys are confusing angst over losing a player with criticism of an unrealistic Utica line up projection.  

If any player is not good enough they should be waived or traded.  Sure.  

But we are talking about Utica.  And the point is it is unrealistic to project Granlund on Utica.  And that was only the first thing wrong with the line up projection.  

Perhaps but I sincerely believe that if he was waived to start the season there is at least an even chance he clears and ends up in AHL.   He had a down year, coming off an injury and has uncertain contract - all would be a risk for another team.   

I find CDC curious in that all want the farm system to improve but feel as though other NHL teams can find a way to have NHL talent in AHL but that cannot happen for Utica.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Canucks will waive better and better players as they improve as a team.   There are a lot of Granlunds that get waived across the league every year - few are claimed.   IF he comes to camp and earns a spot and returns to a great form, then he won't be waived.   If he is beaten for a spot by a better prepared player who demonstrates commitment to an even higher ceiling, you simply need to move on.

Part of improving as a team is having lots of competition and having to make hard decisions.   It will be up Granlund to make that decision with him one that has him staying in the NHL and with Vancouver.    If that doesn't happen, I still don't know what all the angst is about as it simply means someone better took his spot - fact of life if you truly want to get better that such things will happen.

They are not waiving Granlund, sorry.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AK_19 said:

If not, what do others see as a starting lineup? Also, do people see all the oncoming prospects (Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Jasek, Palmu, Gaudette) as being good enough for the AHL?

IMO:

Goldy/Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner, Goldy/Leipsic

Edler, Stecher

MDZ, Tanev

Pouliot/Hutton, Gudbranson

Pouliot/Hutton

Markstrom, Nilsson

Dahlen and Gaudette are probably borderline NHL ready, so yeah, they're good enough for Utica. The rest will likely need a year or two but should have no problems in Utica as well (particularly the guys who already have pro experience - Jasek, Palmu..).

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The facts are this

Facts are, we have lesser players we can waive or trade LONG before Granlund. Biega, Gaunce, Archibald and Gagner for starters.

I'd also think it FAR more likely that a guy like Goldobin or Leipsic has a 'failure to launch' issue in camp than Granlund. We'll see come Sept.

But by all means on the outside chance he messes the bed and looks heavily surpassed by all of the above...sure, that snowball has a chance in hell.

Still, a very unrealistic projection to be playing in Utica, which is the actual point of discussion.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IMO:

Gagner, Goldy/Leipsic

Edler, Stecher

MDZ, Tanev

Pouliot/Hutton

Markstrom, Nilsson

Dahlen and Gaudette are probably borderline NHL ready, so yeah, they're good enough for Utica. The rest will likely need a year or two but should have no problems in Utica as well (particularly the guys who already have pro experience - Jasek, Palmu..).

Facts are, we have lesser players we can waive or trade LONG before Granlund. Biega, Gaunce, Archibald and Gagner for starters.

I'd also think it FAR more likely that a guy like Goldobin or Leipsic has a 'failure to launch' issue in camp than Granlund. We'll see come Sept.

But by all means on the outside chance he messes the bed and looks heavily surpassed by all of the above...sure, that snowball has a chance in hell.

Still, a very unrealistic projection to be playing in Utica, which is the actual point of discussion.

Why anyone would even contemplate waiving Granny is beyond me.  He, literally, does anything that is asked for him and he does it well and doesn't complain.

Last season, after a 19 goal campaign, they asked him to play a shutdown role with Sutter and DD and they were the best line on the team until injuries hit.  You embrace a player with that kind of versatility, not chide it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

They are not waiving Granlund, sorry.

Great, good to hear he had a strong camp and out competed all other options.

PS - who won the World Series in October?   If you have that crystal ball out why not share some info for betterment of the RZ retirement fund?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

IMO:

Gagner, Goldy/Leipsic

Edler, Stecher

MDZ, Tanev

Pouliot/Hutton

Markstrom, Nilsson

Don’t disagree with any of this.   Just saying that some players who have and are contributing NHL players won’t make the “cut” if this team is truly improving.

i like Granny, always have, but he needs to earn a spot line everyone else and he has more competition than he ever has in Vancouver with Utica a very real possibility for those who lose said competition.