The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Burrows

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I won't get in to it with the Naslund fans. Maybe some are to young to remember how bad the club was before he and Kesler got to Van. No, Alex Burrows did not put up the points that Naslund did. But as you pointed out Naslund and Bert were brutal in the defensive side of center. There is certainly more to being a good hockey player than goal scoring. Burrows got the job done at both ends of the ice and ya he scored more than a few pretty goals. Never saw Naslund PK once in his career. 

IMHO it is all about winning the big games and creating a culture on a team that makes team mates better. Burrows was better at that than Naslund.  

Propping Burrows and his legacy as a Canuck up does not need to be accomished by tearing down Naslund and his.

I think it is incredibly unfair to suggest that Naslund was responsible for a culture of being unable to win big games. That team was also very much a one line team during his time which is a lot easier to shut down. Add in Naslund getting injured one year and Bertuzzi getting suspended and there are two wasted playoff years. Sure they choked at times too.

But I also think it would serve people well to remember that the only reason there was a dragon for Burrows to slay in the first place was because of a whole bunch of failure by that group - including Burrows, the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, etc. - to win the big games. They were up 3-0 in that series and it took overtime in game 7 to move on. And that is not counting the 8 goals in 7 games in the SCF. Our top line including Burrows disappeared as much or more than any WCE line ever did.

I love both Burrows AND Naslund. They are both a huge part of our history of both success and failure.

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Propping Burrows and his legacy as a Canuck up does not need to be accomished by tearing down Naslund and his.

I think it is incredibly unfair to suggest that Naslund was responsible for a culture of being unable to win big games. That team was also very much a one line team during his time which is a lot easier to shut down. Add in Naslund getting injured one year and Bertuzzi getting suspended and there are two wasted playoff years. Sure they choked at times too.

But I also think it would serve people well to remember that the only reason there was a dragon for Burrows to slay in the first place was because of a whole bunch of failure by that group - including Burrows, the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, etc. - to win the big games. They were up 3-0 in that series and it took overtime in game 7 to move on. And that is not counting the 8 goals in 7 games in the SCF. Our top line including Burrows disappeared as much or more than any WCE line ever did.

I love both Burrows AND Naslund. They are both a huge part of our history of both success and failure.

Pretty fair assessment. I stand by my Naslund assessment. My hockey experience is that you have to build teams for playoff success, regular season success is nice but not decisive. Burrows was more successful at doing that.  Enough said. 

19 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Yes this is exactly what we need for a one year deal. I want burrows involved with future management and his last season should be as a Canuck. We need a gritty LW who can play with skilled players. We also need some veteran leadership. Burrows will come cheap, he can help green with the penalty kill, and log big minutes while our prospects ease into the NHL. 

We need to be bad for another season while we let our prospects develop. Give Pettersson a year in Utica with Dahlen to get used to the smaller ice. Next season we will get another good impact player at the draft and our rebuild we be almost complete. Bring the prospects who are excelling in Utica up during injuries. Let Utica have a chance at winning a calder cup. 

Yes also to Riley Nash

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Burrows Nash Eriksson 

Granlund Sutter VIrtanen

Leipsic Gaudette Archibald 

Edler Stetcher 

Del Zotto Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson 

Markstrom 

Demko

And if burrows sucks, how are the fans going to treat him for his last year in the NHL? 

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I feel so bad for Bertuzzi man, he didn't deserve the hatred he got after the Moore incident. He tried to fight him multiple times and he wouldn't. When you attack a teams star with a cheap shot expect to defend yourself the next game. He didn't and unfortunately he lost his career. Yes Bertuzzi cheap shorted him, but it should have been expected. The punch didn't end his career, the pile up did.

I'd say the same thing if Moore played for us. If your going to play dirty, at least be willing to drop the gloves. Look at Dorset, that guy would probably fight Chara today with his bad back lol

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Pretty fair assessment. I stand by my Naslund assessment. My hockey experience is that you have to build teams for playoff success, regular season success is nice but not decisive. Burrows was more successful at doing that.  Enough said. 

They are simply two very different types of players so comparing them directly is really tough. You need both types to win in the playoffs tbh.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Your hockey experience is clearly zero. 

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

I feel so bad for Bertuzzi man, he didn't deserve the hatred he got after the Moore incident. He tried to fight him multiple times and he wouldn't. When you attack a teams star with a cheap shot expect to defend yourself the next game. He didn't and unfortunately he lost his career. Yes Bertuzzi cheap shorted him, but it should have been expected. The punch didn't end his career, the pile up did.

I'd say the same thing if Moore played for us. If your going to play dirty, at least be willing to drop the gloves. Look at Dorset, that guy would probably fight Chara today with his bad back lol

Moore had already fought earlier in the game against Matt Cooke. What Bertuzzi did is on him and it was a stupid cheap shot with no excuses.

45 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

What harm would there be in playing Burrows on the fourth line and the PK?  Would this role take from developing our prospects? Would he be content playing that role?

AND if he does play like him old self Benning could get a 1st for him

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Burrows was one man on a TEAM.  He isn't individually responsible for the playoff success those teams had.

Even comparing Burrows to someone who was voted by his peers as the MVP of the league at one point is just ridiculous.   Naslund was 10x the hockey player Burr was.  I love Burr but give your head a shake man.

Archived