The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Dobber Prospect Rankings - Canucks Move into No. 4 Spot

Rob_Zepp

As long as we’re top 10, which we definitely are, I’m a happy camper. 

We should all remember that prospects don’t always pan out.

Im stoked that Boeser and Horvat have adapted well to the NHL. If Elias and one of Juolevi, Hughes or Rathbone do the same, we’re golden. 

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

As long as we’re top 10, which we definitely are, I’m a happy camper. 

We should all remember that prospects don’t always pan out.

Im stoked that Boeser and Horvat have adapted well to the NHL. If Elias and one of Juolevi, Hughes or Rathbone do the same, we’re golden. 

Am I greedy for thinking they will all work out? 

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

We have a stronger group then Philly and Arizona bar none. 

even their own fan base (Philly and Arizona) doesn't think their prospects pool are that strong.

Calgary and Toronto have no business being in the top 10, and yes even Leafs fans admit this.

none the less a decent write up on the Canucks.  With have 3 MVP's in our pool, Dhalen and Pettersson got MVP honours for their leauges, the same with Gaudette in college, not to mention a goalie that was voted best goalie in his league,

More remarkable given where we have come from. We were not just low in prospects we were in minus.:unsure:

Soon our fans will be able to regularly look at who we think is coming up after 2 years in the farm (the right way to develop in most cases) The best thing is it won't stop when we end up picking lower because we have a GM and scouting base that doesn't go by the numbers, they look for talent and character and find it at all levels.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nothing magical about the rankings but they has been consistent for years in having a formula and doesn't seem to have a bias (of the six that contributed this year, most seem to have hated and loved pretty much every team equally).   Not too long ago, their site's consensus was that Vancouver was about the bottom of the league.   Not anymore.   

The top consensus top 10 are interesting.   CC is no longer Canuck property so they blew that but he isn't part of the ranking per se (as it is based on the top 10).   Goldy not being there is interesting, for example.   Clearly the ranking was prior to the draft.   With Hughes and Woo one would have to think they would have not fallen in ranking....what do you think?

Canucks Move into Top 5 in Prospect Ranking

VAN.jpg?resize=84%2C67&ssl=14. Vancouver Canucks, A-

Rank (4.6)

The Canucks ranked high despite not having a contribution from Cam Robinson. I ranked them the highest at second overall while the lowest rank was 11th. The Canucks have corner stone prospects at each position with Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Demko leading the way. With another top 10 pick coming up, look for the Canucks to add potentially a center or a defenseman. If the Canucks can lure back big Nikita Tryamkin it would be a huge boost as well. With the Sedin twins stepping aside, it opens up two top-six roster positions and a hefty chunk of cap space. Look for the Canucks to add an impact player in the off season. Peter Harling

There is hope. A roster can have a very different look to it adding even three top players. Vancouver still has lots of work to do, but replacements for the Sedin brothers aren’t far away. Fans know this though… they’ve been waiting for a few years. This could be a big draft year for Vancouver too. Joel Henderson

Top 10 Prospects

1. Elias Pettersson
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jonah Gadjovich
  9. Guillaume Brisebois
  10. Petrus Palmu

U21 Roster Players: Brock Boeser, Jake Virtanen

Other notable prospects: Zack MacEwan, Nikolai Goldobin, Cole Cassels, Nikita Tryamkin, Jalen Chatfield, Tyler Motte.

2018 Draft picks by round: 1 Quinn Hughes (7). Round 2 Jett Woo (37). Round 3 Tyler Madden (68) Round 4 None. Round 5 Toni Ultunen (130). Round 6 Artyom Manukyan (186). Round 7 Matthew Thiessen. – Total, 6

We also have Lucas Jasek the Czech "cork" - no matter how far down he was buried he has managed to float to the top and had outstanding games with Utica. Am I the only one who thinks this guy is destined for middle 6 stardom in the NHL?

Observations

April 2018 – Jasek has been an absolute revelation since joining the Utica Comets. The former sixth round draft pick has compiled seven points in six AHL contests – six of which have come at even-strength. Utica will now begin their playoff matchup against the top seeded, Toronto Marlies and will need Jasek to continue his blistering pace. The Canucks have until June 1st 2019 to sign the Czech winger to an entry-level contract but with his performance thus far, it’s safe to assume that will happen sooner rather than later. It will be interesting to see if he returns to the Czech Republic next season or sticks in the AHL 

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Isn't that what a management team's main job is when a team is rebuilding?

Yes it is. The problem is that management only recently started rebuilding. Amateur scouting is clearly their strength yet they keep dragging the team with poor signings and mediocre trades. Pro scouting and business acumen is clearly their weakness. 

By the way, are you Rob Zepp the former NHL goalie? If so what an interesting turn of events for you to have become *this* obsessed with a seemingly tertiary team after your hockey career ended. There must be a good story there... 

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

No mention of Jasek, who comes in and scores 7 points in 6 games in the AHL, nor of Tryamkin - who is still Canuck property and just 23.

I like depth that Vancouver has now under Benning and Linden...Just keep on rebuild path and no trading prospects for 28 year old players..We are on rebuild and not ready for big trades, 2-3 years away and its getting very exciting to follow..

Best prospect pool in Canuck history and still more to come..

Jasek will have a good season, another very good prospect late pick...

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nothing magical about the rankings but they has been consistent for years in having a formula and doesn't seem to have a bias (of the six that contributed this year, most seem to have hated and loved pretty much every team equally).   Not too long ago, their site's consensus was that Vancouver was about the bottom of the league.   Not anymore.   

The top consensus top 10 are interesting.   CC is no longer Canuck property so they blew that but he isn't part of the ranking per se (as it is based on the top 10).   Goldy not being there is interesting, for example.   Clearly the ranking was prior to the draft.   With Hughes and Woo one would have to think they would have not fallen in ranking....what do you think?

Canucks Move into Top 5 in Prospect Ranking

VAN.jpg?resize=84%2C67&ssl=14. Vancouver Canucks, A-

Rank (4.6)

The Canucks ranked high despite not having a contribution from Cam Robinson. I ranked them the highest at second overall while the lowest rank was 11th. The Canucks have corner stone prospects at each position with Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Demko leading the way. With another top 10 pick coming up, look for the Canucks to add potentially a center or a defenseman. If the Canucks can lure back big Nikita Tryamkin it would be a huge boost as well. With the Sedin twins stepping aside, it opens up two top-six roster positions and a hefty chunk of cap space. Look for the Canucks to add an impact player in the off season. Peter Harling

There is hope. A roster can have a very different look to it adding even three top players. Vancouver still has lots of work to do, but replacements for the Sedin brothers aren’t far away. Fans know this though… they’ve been waiting for a few years. This could be a big draft year for Vancouver too. Joel Henderson

Top 10 Prospects

1. Elias Pettersson
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jonah Gadjovich
  9. Guillaume Brisebois
  10. Petrus Palmu

U21 Roster Players: Brock Boeser, Jake Virtanen

Other notable prospects: Zack MacEwan, Nikolai Goldobin, Cole Cassels, Nikita Tryamkin, Jalen Chatfield, Tyler Motte.

2018 Draft picks by round: 1 Quinn Hughes (7). Round 2 Jett Woo (37). Round 3 Tyler Madden (68) Round 4 None. Round 5 Toni Ultunen (130). Round 6 Artyom Manukyan (186). Round 7 Matthew Thiessen. – Total, 6

Very good post, Thanks....

4 hours ago, danny.canuck said:

Yes it is. The problem is that management only recently started rebuilding. Amateur scouting is clearly their strength yet they keep dragging the team with poor signings and mediocre trades. Pro scouting and business acumen is clearly their weakness. 

By the way, are you Rob Zepp the former NHL goalie? If so what an interesting turn of events for you to have become *this* obsessed with a seemingly tertiary team after your hockey career ended. There must be a good story there... 

Everyone has a good story.   Believe it or not, hockey people are very ordinary.   I get a large kick out of how some players are talked about as if they have magical powers, are immune to illness or heal differently than anyone else.   

I think what you call "poor signings" are anything but...but that is my opinion.   They have not signed a single top 6 F or top pairing D in any of the UFA  in terms of a long term perspective (I give a pass on LE signing as that was aimed at Sedins and it simply wasn't tried long enough by coach...not sure why not).   They have left the room there for any of these prospects to "break through" and, at same time, create an atmosphere for their development populated by the right mix of people.   The signings are typically characterized by players  you hear the following about "great guy in the room", "will play for his mates", "backs up his fellow players",  "hardest working guy",  and so forth.   With Sedins gone now, that was doubly important into this year.

I think the Canucks are not only on the right track, they are building in a methodical manner that will allow some maintained success versus a lucky run like what happened in Ottawa.

2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

I think Canucks have the best prospect pool in the league, and this is from someone who has been an avid critic of the prospect pool over the past 5 years. There's no way Philadelphia is number 1.

I like what Philly has on the back end and that is why I think Canucks should continue to see if they can pry Travis Sanheim by using some of their (Canucks) prospect forward depth.

46 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I like what Philly has on the back end and that is why I think Canucks should continue to see if they can pry Travis Sanheim by using some of their (Canucks) prospect forward depth.

They also 'stole' Frost last year and added Farabee and O'Brien this year at forward. Not too shabby.

CDC'ers may balk at their prospect pool ranking, and one could certainly argue where they fall in the ~top 5, but it is a VERY good pool as well (on top of frankly a better current NHL team to boot).

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Everyone has a good story.   Believe it or not, hockey people are very ordinary.   I get a large kick out of how some players are talked about as if they have magical powers, are immune to illness or heal differently than anyone else. 

Cool. Just to be 100% clear are you actually the Rob Zepp who played in the NHL? 

1 hour ago, danny.canuck said:

Cool. Just to be 100% clear are you actually the Rob Zepp who played in the NHL? 

Not sure but I think Zepp barely played in the NHL.  Mostly over seas I think. I doubt the Zepp poster is the actual guy lol. But if so...let us know lol.

21 hours ago, aGENT said:

They also 'stole' Frost last year and added Farabee and O'Brien this year at forward. Not too shabby.

CDC'ers may balk at their prospect pool ranking, and one could certainly argue where they fall in the ~top 5, but it is a VERY good pool as well (on top of frankly a better current NHL team to boot).

Hextall, Cheveldayoff, and to some extent Poille have done well. It takes time to build a solid foundation of prospects and these GM's have done well. Our fan base needs to look at how these teams were built and remain patient. You can actually see the light at the end of our tunnel. I suspect another year of pain and we go up from there. 

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

How do you "steal" someone in the first round when they were rated in the second?

Hence the ''s.

He'd go higher (and would have been ranked higher) in a re-draft.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Hence the ''s.

He'd go higher (and would have been ranked higher) in a re-draft.

A "steal" means getting them a lot lower than they should have been drafted, because people foolishly passed them by when they shouldn't have and you basically took them from their hands.  According to consensus rankings they "reached" for him, he wasn't a faller that they stole.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

A "steal" means getting them a lot lower than they should have been drafted, because people foolishly passed them by when they shouldn't have and you basically took them from their hands.  According to consensus rankings they "reached" for him, he wasn't a faller that they stole.

I haven't had enough coffee for a petty semantics debate on a Sunday.

I say we 'stole' Boeser too. Put that in your pipe. 

On 07/07/2018 at 5:12 AM, CanucksJay said:

Am I greedy for thinking they will all work out? 

Haha that's a definite YES!  

Hughes is way overhyped by fans and media and now we're all starting to buy even more into our own hype.  The guy hasn't even played in the AHL yet.  

Juolevi has had minor setbacks in terms of his play, conditioning and then the back surgery.  He just may never pan out but I have no issues waiting on him.  

Rathbone was a 4th round pick that's trending nicely but hasn't even played in NCAA yet.  

There's so far to go for these guys before they 'pan out' in the NHL.  I'd be happy with 1 out of 3, but I hope you're right!

Just gotta say I really like the fact that as nux are ranked 4th best prospect pool in the whole league there are only a handful of responses on CDC - not an avalanche of rah rah. Plus the responses are smart.

Says a lot about our prospect pool but also says a lot about the growing maturity of the fan base. Nice. 

Archived