The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]The Correct Defenceman to Trade

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

So much for the reno.  If they indicate he won't be re-signed, or if they aren't likely to come to an agreement on terms, it's in his own best interest to do what Burrows did -- waive and negotiate an extension with another team.

Why wouldn’t they re-sign their most consistent and dependable defender?

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Maybe because that's not as much of a draw to some players as it is to others? Personally speaking if I had a choice between signing a contract with Vancouver, the team who gave me my chance in the NHL or take the money and go to Toronto which may or may not work out, I'd choose the former every time.

There's a few reasons for that, we look at it from the outside and think "yeah why wouldn't he go to Toronto, Tavares did", but we don't take into account that the relationships that players forge with not just their teammates, but also the support staff, their families here and extended friendships away from the rink matter as well. Vancouver has hands down way better climate than Toronto, and Vancouver and the surrounding area affords far more in terms of nature and the related activities.

Also take into account money not being an object for players of this caliber, the difference between making 5-6 million in Vancouver and 6 to 7 million in Toronto is negligible at best. For Tanev, Vancouver is a known quantity. He has an established relationship with the teams coach and management and his role on the team. The same cannot be said for what could transpire in Toronto. We all agree he would immediately become Toronto's best defensive defenceman, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

How's that for an extrapolation? Has he actually said he wants to go home? Be closer to family? Everything he's said so far points to wanting to make Vancouver a contender. He was here as a rookie when we were contenders, has seen the decline and knows that we're very close to turning the corner. That's why he considers staying long term.

Sure. 

Edler is probably the most tantalizing piece for potential suitors.  He got size, smooth skater, heavy shot and great passer.... just seems "off" for whatever reason.  He can play like a #1 defenseman.... when he isn't expected to be the #1 guy.  

When there was Ohlund, Mitchell or Hamhuis..... Edler isn't matched against the top lines.  

Salo and Ehrhoff on the team, Edler isn't the prime offensive threat on the blue line.  

When he is flying under the radar, that's when his game excels.  

I don't really feel that Tanev's value is that high.  His playoff experience is very limited.  Sure, he was in the 2011 Finals for some games, but that was over 7 years ago now.  Not a lot anything since.  Same with Edler, but he is more of a complete package (even with all his inconsistency). 

Edler should be a lifer thats my opinion lock him up especially after how solid he was all last season youd be stupid to get rid of the best defencemen we have when there is guys like hutton and delly we can move out to make room for the young guns 

Although I personally want Del Zotto shipped out, trading Edler is an underrated idea. This is his last year of the contract, there would be tons of GM's interested in getting a solid guy like him for the playoffs, meaning he has a decent track record in the post-season. We could always retain salary in case a team can't fit him in. The difficulty is convincing him that to accept the trade. 

From my standpoint, from the deadline to the end of the playoffs you have roughly 3-4 months. Since the roster has been overturned completely and it looks like Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins are all gone from the NHL, It might be possible to convince him to waive if we promise him a contract extension in the summer. He doesn't have any of the old teammates holding him back here and he could go on a team and really help them out, maybe win the cup as well. The time he'd be gone is quite a lot, but he could leave his family in Vancouver. Either way. It'll be interesting to see how the trade deadline shapes up this year with a few expiring contracts.

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guys, don't rush Hughes & OJ. Bank on them for 2019/20.

Pouliot & Hutton to Edm for Sekeras , 2019 2nd(& cond 3rd).

MDZ out East, for 3rd or 4th rounder.

Tanev at TDL, IF a 1st(or top prospect) is dangled.

Edler  -  Gudbranson

Sekeras  -  Tanev

Sautner - Stecher

McEneny - Bulldog

Could even claim some lunkhead in the fall. Stay modest..accumulate 2019 picks.(hoping for a total of 12~14 picks)

I both love and hate this lineup ! On the love side, you have avoided the 'shiny new toy' crappola and kept the players that our coach would like to keep. The hate part is including that nasal weasel from am 1040 ! Don't see see him upgrading our defence.

9 hours ago, mpt said:

Edler won’t waive his NTC he’s renovating a huge home in Kits and is staying in Vancouver much like the Sedins.

It's a bit presumptuous that Benning is going to open the bank and re-sign him, that said maybe he thinks that's the case or knows something we don't and is going to stay.    Hughes-OJ-Edler looks like a pretty solid left side, well at least for five more years until age and injuries could come into play for Alex.

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

So who is playing Edler's mins?? B Hutt? Pouliot? Hughes:huh:. Edler plays the toughest mins on the team. You don't get a high pick or a big fish in an Edler trade so basically you only stand to loose trading him as we have no one to fill his shoes.

sign a D with experience? Make a trade? There are options instead of retaining and keeping old core pieces around until they retire. 

So what are we suppose to do sign him to a career ending contract with a full NTC and then watch him retire a Canuck and never get any assets back for him?

I think Edler 50% retained at the TDL could get us something half decent, it all depends what kind of season he has obviously.

It seems that the CDC criteria for justifying any and all trades is evolving . A year ago the inclusion of a 4th round pick made everything A-okay ! Today, that seems to have become the 50% retention inclusion. Add a 4th round pick to that and voila......a shiny new toy defence that will lead the mighty 'nuck to a decade of SCs.

49 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's a bit presumptuous that Benning is going to open the bank and re-sign him, that said maybe he thinks that's the case or knows something we don't and is going to stay.    Hughes-OJ-Edler looks like a pretty solid left side, well at least for five more years until age and injuries could come into play for Alex.

If Edler only wants to play here, I don’t think negotiations will be that difficult

1 minute ago, mpt said:

If Edler only wants to play here, I don’t think negotiations will be that difficult

If he's insistent on staying here, a comfortable discount is likely as well. Something like $4x4 and he slowly slides down to 2nd and 3rd pair as prospects pass him.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If he's insistent on staying here, a comfortable discount is likely as well. Something like $4x4 and he slowly slides down to 2nd and 3rd pair as prospects pass him.

Agreed

22 minutes ago, mpt said:

From all indications he won’t waive it,  his words

Were there other indications besides the time an idiot reporter asked him if he would waive his NMC before it actually kicked in?

Many Canuck fans will vilify Edler if he doesn't waive at the TD, but it really is his privilege.  I hope he does though and then re-signs in July as an UFA.

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Were there other indications besides the time an idiot reporter asked him if he would waive his NMC before it actually kicked in?

Many Canuck fans will vilify Edler if he doesn't waive at the TD, but it really is his privilege.  I hope he does though and then re-signs in July as an UFA.

Its his right.  He’s dedicated his entire career to this organization, just like the Sedins.  He deserves the respect to do what he wants.  Burrows knew his time was up, Edler has 3-4 good seasons left.

Archived