The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] WINNIPEG JETS @ VANCOUVER CANUCKS | DEC.22 | 7:00PM | CBC CLOWNS | SN650 |

J-23

Playoff Alert!

Best Case Scenarios:

VAN wins in any fashion

VGK loses in regulation

SJS loses in regulation

STL loses in regulation

ARI loses in regulation

ANA loses in regulation

DAL loses in regulation

EDM loses in regulation

if these scenarios play out, Vancouver will be in WC2! 

Edm will still have 3 games in hand and only one point back

van will be 2 pts back of Vegas for WC1 & 3 pts back of 2nd & 3rd in the pacific. VGK will have just one game in hand

Go Canucks Go!

Would like to see Horvat play in a different spot on the power play instead of just off the goal post where he situates himself now. He gets a down low pass and tries to jam it in, but the goal keepers always stack  the post there. I didn't like when D. Sedin played there, and I still think it too easy to stop. However, although I've watched the NHL for 60 years, I never played the sport (out on the rugby pitch instead), so maybe some of you who know the game's tactics, might set me straight.

1 minute ago, wloutet said:

Would like to see Horvat play in a different spot on the power play instead of just off the goal post where he situates himself now. He gets a down low pass and tries to jam it in, but the goal keepers always stack  the post there. I didn't like when D. Sedin played there, and I still think it too easy to stop. However, although I've watched the NHL for 60 years, I never played the sport (out on the rugby pitch instead), so maybe some of you who know the game's tactics, might set me straight.

Like in Rugby you don’t always spin the ball out to the backs.  Sometimes it’s best to keep it in the forwards.  Don’t want to become predictable, so Bo has several options, and the jam play is one.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I really don't get the Pouliot hate......he makes some errors, but he works hard, plays physical and still has plenty of time to develop.  He needs to play

Plays physical????

I have seen him push a player coming down the boards (i have likened that to Wellwood pushing himself up from the dinner table) but I have yet to see him put a shoulder on him or finish a check.

Yes he can skate (maybe that's why he turns back into trouble in his own end - confident in skating himself out of trouble ... but that happens maybe 50% of the time)

He was Green's stud for the Winterhawks, which is why (imo) he gets in the lineup under Green here, and was a top AHL defender for the Penguins farm team, but has had ample opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level, but hasn't set the league on fire (yet, I concede). There is a reason he is on a 1 year "show me" contract, and so far hasn't shown much.

7 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Bo is a pretty big and strong guy out there, which is why you see that play. More often than not he can out-muscle the D and try to not just jam it in, but create a loose puck or something similar, which then causes a scramble. However, like most things they try on the PP, it doesn't work, but it definitely can. PP in general has just been really bad for the talent on it.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

What a coincidence, my sister is heading home today too, to see parents in Nanaimo.  Agreed Laine is overrated, and hopefully the hype will give the Jets a big cap headache soon.  Wheeler deserves every penny of his contract and I’m happy for him, one of the most underrated players in the league the past five years, quietly in or near the top ten or better year after year, a big body and a great leader is finally getting some recognition.  

Not that Laine is a chump, he’s also a big body and one of the better shooters in the league and just getting started.  Between him, Mathews and Marner the fate of second contracts dangles on a string.  Personally I think the league and the NHLA should cap it, going straight from first to third contract money even for stars is not creating a good work environment for teams.  A handful of guys making huge bucks, the rest getting shafted by excepting lower pay once their past thirty (Vanek for example), or simply retiring early because they can’t get work anymore as teams look to their farm system to balance the books.  Maybe they should make a new rule that allows a team to select one contract to not count against the cap up to a certain amount, or at the very least make it fair given TB, Vegas and Florida essentially can have 10% or more money to work with than the rest of the league...that’s like adding a Boeser for free to each team to make it even.  

Today's model is unsustainable, I agree.  A good old-fashioned union would be better than the Player's Association.  Get proper job descriptions (first line minutes = this or that pay, 2nd line etc.,) and pay players accordingly.  Then work out bonuses/ partial ownership for the big fish.  The idea that EP makes less than Eriksson until the magic moment he makes 13 million is just crazy.  And the loss of the older players for maximum young/cheap, this is bad too.  If the max pay was 7 million and the minimum 4 million this would change a lot of things.  The goal should be to have the best possible players playing the best possible hockey with the least number of head injuries. 

15 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Plays physical????

I have seen him push a player coming down the boards (i have likened that to Wellwood pushing himself up from the dinner table) but I have yet to see him put a shoulder on him or finish a check.

Yes he can skate (maybe that's why he turns back into trouble in his own end - confident in skating himself out of trouble ... but that happens maybe 50% of the time)

He was Green's stud for the Winterhawks, which is why (imo) he gets in the lineup under Green here, and was a top AHL defender for the Penguins farm team, but has had ample opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level, but hasn't set the league on fire (yet, I concede). There is a reason he is on a 1 year "show me" contract, and so far hasn't shown much.

I would contend you don't see it because you don't want to see it.  He's a very physical player in his own end.

24 minutes ago, wloutet said:

he's had some pretty epic assists from that spot

Archived