The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will this hometown draft have more picks than usual?

189lb enforcers?

Edler wont go, what with all the conversations from him reflecting not wanting to get traded.

It seems from various pieces i've read other teams don't value tanev like we do..

We have a core we likely will never move.

Then you have the guys like Virtanen and Goldy who could fetch some decent value, but then we need to fill those spots while our picks marinate.

for the diehards, were here regaurdless of the outcome of the TDL and draft - no benefit.

for the casual observer, they just want the team to win now.

for the ownership, they want money now and later by continually icing a product that is fun to watch.

for the players they probably don't want to be scattered and start new again with new faces and filler pickups.

I don't see more than one or two possible changes that are less exciting than we are hoping for.

Maybe see us flipping Goldy or Del Zotto and possibly a Gudbranson or Hutton.

I'm no GM or coach, but the guys they move will be because of offers we cant refuse or because we've lost hope they want to, or are not smart enough to play new Canuck hockey.

As much as i could see Virtanen or Goldy go, they are both capable of splashes of skill and speed that might just need more time.

With the break in the schedule and some time to reflect i bet we start to see the pushback again.

Green hasnt let much chemistry develop between consistent lines, however today you need to be fast and the door always revolves around injuries, so its likely the product of  a rebuilding team and todays NHL.

Why rush to break up the room they are building and the chemistry that has formed.

In the past i have always thought more would happen than what did. Now that the Canucks are drafting so well as of late its likely the time to be patient.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, my intention wasn't to troll, but to put the brakes on the expectations that we'll trade for a whole bunch of picks.  Trading Edler and Tanev for picks makes great sense if we have the players to replace them internally.  We don't yet.  So unless some other GM makes a ridiculous offer or if Edler shows no interest in resigning (which he has totally shown interest) I don't see that trade being made.

So for me, a well run organization makes a trade for futures if:

1.  They simply get an offer they can't refuse

2.  A player is on an expiring contract and resigning isn't in the plan

3.  A player is made redundant by a younger player.

We just saw Nilsson get traded for reasons 2 and 3 (I'm hoping mainly 3).  Unfortunately, a lot of the players on the Canucks that are actually worth decent picks don't really fit any of the above criteria.  This is especially for Tanev and Edler as we are really thin on defense.  Gaudette's arrival could make someone like Granlund available by this trade deadline.  Or, as Horvat and Pettersson require less and less sheltering Sutter could become available, but I don't see that happening by this trade deadline.

and i was not clear for a second time

i should have said i allowed myself to be trolled

when that was not your intention

it's all on me

3 hours ago, mll said:

Benning tried very hard to acquire picks last year and got none.  Why would it be any different this year.  

Unfortunately, their idea of young and important to our future differs greatly from the fan bases I believe.

Everyone older than Horvat should be open game imo but I think their idea of young or important to our future includes Virtanen, Tanev, Gudbranson, Hutton, Sutter etc very expendable people. 

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

so you wish to propose the coiler model ?

strip the team of all vets

go all in on youth

expect high draft picks to pan out with minimal mentoring

i thought we'd canvassed this approach over the last couple of years

and that consensus on cdc was that the coiler model does not work

yet you wish to pursue this again?

how are the coilers doing this year?  is it working?  did i miss something?

Oilers model doesn’t work for them and them only. Works great for everyone else, including almost 3 peat Pens. They loaded up on tank nation assets and they even had a special on tanking for Lemieux .

In fact, I think only team it didn’t work for was the Oilers. Worked for everyone else including la, Chicago, and pens.

3 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Oilers model doesn’t work for them and them only. Works great for everyone else, including almost 3 peat Pens. They loaded up on tank nation assets and they even had a special on tanking for Lemieux .

In fact, I think only team it didn’t work for was the Oilers. Worked for everyone else including la, Chicago, and pens.

no, not at all

the pens and hawks did not purge their veterans

and rely heavily on repeated high draft picks

to develop in a void

they were smarter then that

the coilers were not

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

For a rebuilding team, a hometown draft must be a marketing and PR dream, but so far the Canucks have only collected some late picks for the upcoming draft, which might be a waste of this rare opportunity for this franchise. 

Does the marketing side of Orca have any say in this year’s drafting strategy? 

Will Benning show up to this draft with a surplus of quality draft picks? 

Should he?

Its pretty cool that this rebuilding team is hosting the draft. It would be even cooler if the Canucks wore a path in the floor to the draft podium. I wonder what all of you think of the coming draft and what you’d like to see the team do. 

Well we should during the sixth round (wear a path down it) but chances are none of those guys will ever play a game.  I’ve been hoping since AG first game that we’d be willing to suffer for a bit and trade Sutter, we managed without him and Beagle this year, and a Beagle can take over his duties and AG the fourth line until he’s ready to move up.  We could find a new guy easily to replace him on the fourth line should he prove to be a middle six player later on.   This is the only trade that makes sense, Edler waiving and re-signing is a pipe dream, don’t see it happening, nothing else except maybe one other minor move like Granlund instead of Sutter, deeper tracks in the sixth round.  

Lets hope this is a good draft regardless, we need some more help coming.  

Ive read a few times that GMs comes into the draft expecting to add one player to their roster, and that two is above average and considered very good.  Three is exceptional (EDM and MTL both had years they stacked their future dynasties with killer drafts but back then there wasn’t 31 teams either) but uncommon. 

Draft plus two or three is when you can evaluate this.  For Benning if we do draft plus two we can only count his first three drafts.  Boeser, Demko, Tryamkin, McAan, AG and JV...just around 2  per draft which is very good.  Then add EP and possibly Hughes to that and the last two drafts are paying early dividends.  Of those drafts we have two but probably three blue chippers/stars which is also very good.

The OJ year so far is the only dud.

It takes 2 to tango...

There's not much point in swapping Sutter or Tanev for picks, if all that is on offer is 4th, 5th or 6th round picks...if even that. A trading partner is needed, and the stock of our players, outside the holy trinity, won't be overwhelming...

11 hours ago, coastal.view said:

no, not at all

the pens and hawks did not purge their veterans

and rely heavily on repeated high draft picks

to develop in a void

they were smarter then that

the coilers were not

Chicago’s only vet was Bolland and he himself was a tank pick that busted a little. He was supposed to be Toews.

Hossa was signed but other than that, all tanked for.

The Pens didn’t have very many vets either but their core basically consisted of top 3 picks. Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Kessel. All picked 1,2,3, or 5 in Kessels case I believe.

Either way, tank nation only doesn’t work for the coilers. Works for everyone else and we really should tank this year.

8 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I dunno, Canes and Arizona have been buttcheeks seemingly forever.

4 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Chicago’s only vet was Bolland and he himself was a tank pick that busted a little. He was supposed to be Toews.

Hossa was signed but other than that, all tanked for.

The Pens didn’t have very many vets either but their core basically consisted of top 3 picks. Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Kessel. All picked 1,2,3, or 5 in Kessels case I believe.

Either way, tank nation only doesn’t work for the coilers. Works for everyone else and we really should tank this year.

Which year are we talking about? In their prime tank years Havlat, Vrbata, Lapointe, and Aucoin were around. They also had Kieth, Sharp, and Seabrook who are all a fair bit older than Toews/Kane (and older than Bolland).

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, my intention wasn't to troll, but to put the brakes on the expectations that we'll trade for a whole bunch of picks.  Trading Edler and Tanev for picks makes great sense if we have the players to replace them internally.  We don't yet.  So unless some other GM makes a ridiculous offer or if Edler shows no interest in resigning (which he has totally shown interest) I don't see that trade being made.

So for me, a well run organization makes a trade for futures if:

1.  They simply get an offer they can't refuse

2.  A player is on an expiring contract and resigning isn't in the plan

3.  A player is made redundant by a younger player.

We just saw Nilsson get traded for reasons 2 and 3 (I'm hoping mainly 3).  Unfortunately, a lot of the players on the Canucks that are actually worth decent picks don't really fit any of the above criteria.  This is especially for Tanev and Edler as we are really thin on defense.  Gaudette's arrival could make someone like Granlund available by this trade deadline.  Or, as Horvat and Pettersson require less and less sheltering Sutter could become available, but I don't see that happening by this trade deadline.

This post makes so much sense. Constantly having a revolving door of players in and out for the sake of acquiring draft picks doesn't seem like a healthy way of developing a good team culture. If a player is redundant or there's an internal upgrade then sure. Otherwise a lottery ticket doesn't seem worth it to gut your team year after year. Guys that have been here for awhile like edler or tanev should stay. I don't like what the team looks like when they aren't in the lineup at this point. 

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Clearly, as the host of the draft, and because only the 1st round is televised, what our strategy should be is to secure all 31 1st round picks.  The entry draft broadcast will be all Canucks, all the time, baby!  :emot-parrot:

I only sign off on this if it doesn’t cost us any of our 6th rounders.

12 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Unfortunately, their idea of young and important to our future differs greatly from the fan bases I believe.

This is a good thing. Fans only think they know. How to run and build a team is grossly simplified by fans.

Archived