The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will this hometown draft have more picks than usual?

189lb enforcers?

For a rebuilding team, a hometown draft must be a marketing and PR dream, but so far the Canucks have only collected some late picks for the upcoming draft, which might be a waste of this rare opportunity for this franchise. 

Does the marketing side of Orca have any say in this year’s drafting strategy? 

Will Benning show up to this draft with a surplus of quality draft picks? 

Should he?

Its pretty cool that this rebuilding team is hosting the draft. It would be even cooler if the Canucks wore a path in the floor to the draft podium. I wonder what all of you think of the coming draft and what you’d like to see the team do. 

Well I don’t think we can compete with the power house teams and at best are a fringe wild card chance. So in saying that I’d like to be sellers and acquire more picks! I’ve been on the move both Edler and Tanev train with the idea of bringing Edler back in free agency. Could give us a potential 3 first round picks with the draft being in Vancouver which would be awesome!

It's tough to say.. if we're still struggling to talk playoffs by TDL I think some more draft picks in the first 3 rounds would be great, but I think we need to upgrade D asap.

Pete, Boeser, Bo, Demko, Hughes are untouchable. Would hate to see Jake go too... anyone else that can upgrade us on D I think we should go for. Delzaster and Pooalot aren't the answer, and Hughes and especially Joulevi are still a  ways away

If this team is treading water in the 16-20 zone 1 month before the TDL, I hope they sell.  The PR from picks at the draft is one thing, but them panning out as valuable assets, is what really matters.  Madden, Gaudette, all pushing that center prospect depth chart way up there.  Now is the time to make the D pool ridiculously deep.

I have a feeling, like most years past, it will be status quo.. No rocking of the boat from management.  This said, MDZ, Pouley need to go, and at this rate, I'd let Goldy go for a higher draft pick since the coach and him don't get along.

51 minutes ago, Davathor said:

It's tough to say.. if we're still struggling to talk playoffs by TDL I think some more draft picks in the first 3 rounds would be great, but I think we need to upgrade D asap.

Pete, Boeser, Bo, Demko, Hughes are untouchable. Would hate to see Jake go too... anyone else that can upgrade us on D I think we should go for. Delzaster and Pooalot aren't the answer, and Hughes and especially Joulevi are still a  ways away

Agreed.  I'd be willing to move any of the current roster D for the right price, and if Pouliot and Del Zotto can be dealt for 3rd's, 4th's and 5th's then so be it.  Stecher/ Hutton should be available, as should the top guys (Eddie, Tanev, Guddy for higher picks, granted that they have viable replacements).  

21 minutes ago, Type R said:

I have a feeling, like most years past, it will be status quo.. No rocking of the boat from management.  This said, MDZ, Pouley need to go, and at this rate, I'd let Goldy go for a higher draft pick since the coach and him don't get along.

How do they not get along?

Links or examples please.

I would love to see a second or third rounder or both in the draft but our depth and talent pool is still undeveloped to pull it off.

We have in Utica: Boucher, Guance, MacEwan, Brisebois and others than can be packaged with Granlund, Baertschi, Goldobin, Stecher, Mott, Tanev and Gudbranson for some leveraging. Edler and Sutter in this year have NTC, Sutter has a Modified NTC next year....

But then again we have Jim Benning att he controls, so all things are possible!

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

They're saving up 6th round picks to make a splash at the draft, don't you know.

by my count

there are still 28 6th round picks that could be available

i'm sure if we convert our 1st and 2nd round picks

with some ambition and creativity

we should be able to get at least 10 more in that round

:bigblush:

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

by my count

there are still 28 6th round picks that could be available

i'm sure if we convert our 1st and 2nd round picks

with some ambition and creativity

we should be able to get at least 10 more in that round

:bigblush:

Who needs 1st and 2nd rounders when you can have 13 6 rounders:towel:

Trade Tanev for a 2nd

Trade Edler for a 1st

Trade Sutter for a 2nd

Trade Granlund for a 4th

Trade Del Zotto for a 7th

Trade Gudbranson for a 3rd

6 extra picks and a guarantee top 3 pick for eternity #rebuildforevah

Seriously though, there is a small chance one of Tanev or Edler gets traded (but not both).  Del Zotto will be traded if anyone out there will give us anything (probably a not a pick, more likely a AHL tweener in a contract swap).  Maybe see a depth forward (like Granlund but not necessarily him) moved.

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Trade Tanev for a 2nd

Trade Edler for a 1st

Trade Sutter for a 2nd

Trade Granlund for a 4th

Trade Del Zotto for a 7th

Trade Gudbranson for a 3rd

6 extra picks and a guarantee top 3 pick for eternity #rebuildforevah

Seriously though, there is a small chance one of Tanev or Edler gets traded (but not both).  Del Zotto will be traded if anyone out there will give us anything (probably a not a pick, more likely a AHL tweener in a contract swap).  Maybe see a depth forward (like Granlund but not necessarily him) moved.

so you wish to propose the coiler model ?

strip the team of all vets

go all in on youth

expect high draft picks to pan out with minimal mentoring

i thought we'd canvassed this approach over the last couple of years

and that consensus on cdc was that the coiler model does not work

yet you wish to pursue this again?

how are the coilers doing this year?  is it working?  did i miss something?

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so you wish to propose the coiler model ?

strip the team of all vets

go all in on youth

expect high draft picks to pan out with minimal mentoring

i thought we'd canvassed this approach over the last couple of years

and that consensus on cdc was that the coiler model does not work

yet you wish to pursue this again?

how are the coilers doing this year?  is it working?  did i miss something?

I wasn't serious with the first part ;)

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

my bad

i skimmed it too quickly

i reread again after this post

and can see you clearly were trolling me and i missed it :P

Heh, my intention wasn't to troll, but to put the brakes on the expectations that we'll trade for a whole bunch of picks.  Trading Edler and Tanev for picks makes great sense if we have the players to replace them internally.  We don't yet.  So unless some other GM makes a ridiculous offer or if Edler shows no interest in resigning (which he has totally shown interest) I don't see that trade being made.

So for me, a well run organization makes a trade for futures if:

1.  They simply get an offer they can't refuse

2.  A player is on an expiring contract and resigning isn't in the plan

3.  A player is made redundant by a younger player.

We just saw Nilsson get traded for reasons 2 and 3 (I'm hoping mainly 3).  Unfortunately, a lot of the players on the Canucks that are actually worth decent picks don't really fit any of the above criteria.  This is especially for Tanev and Edler as we are really thin on defense.  Gaudette's arrival could make someone like Granlund available by this trade deadline.  Or, as Horvat and Pettersson require less and less sheltering Sutter could become available, but I don't see that happening by this trade deadline.

Archived