The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Ferland and Loui are not at all similar players. If Ferland wants Loui money the Canucks should absolutely pass though. 

the outcome will be the same...

..disappointment.

4 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Ferland and Loui are not at all similar players. If Ferland wants Loui money the Canucks should absolutely pass though. 

If anything Loui should age better then Ferland. Loui can still be a positive player on the team due to his defensive play. If anything Ferland could become a Lucic 2.0. Not saying he will crash and burn since I do think he has a few great years of hockey left, but if he signs long term I think the final years could have a high probability of being an anchor.

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

If anything Loui should age better then Ferland. Loui can still be a positive player on the team due to his defensive play. If anything Ferland could become a Lucic 2.0. Not saying he will crash and burn since I do think he has a few great years of hockey left, but if he signs long term I think the final years could have a high probability of being an anchor.

I think Loui is certainly still a valuable contributor. He's just way overpaid. 

I think Ferland could be a very valuable addition to any roster as long as the salary and term are within reason. 

About the only way those two are comparable... they both play in the NHL. 

21 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

I think Ferland could be a very valuable addition to any roster as long as the salary and term are within reason. 

If Loui was making Roussel money, we wouldn't even bitch. But, like you said he is wayyyyy overpaid. I would say Loui is our best pker. Very smart awareness, if only he had more offensive IQ. 

41 minutes ago, KKnight said:

If Loui was making Roussel money, we wouldn't even bitch. But, like you said he is wayyyyy overpaid. I would say Loui is our best pker. Very smart awareness, if only he had more offensive IQ. 

the thing w/ loui is that he gets a lot of goals on 2nd/3rd chances around the net.  i believe the canucks are one of the worst teams at creating rebound opportunities off shots.  i found that stat interesting when i recently heard it.  also explains why loui seemed to really play well with gaudette and roussel.  those 2 had speed and drove the net.  although with motte and beagle he's been decent.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Flames radio thoughts on Ferklund,, exactly how i feel.  Good when he wants to be, but a regular disappearing act on most nights.

Ferlund talk starts at 1:07:00

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/jan-23-flames-enter-break-tops-in-the-west/

I wonder if he is a player that just hasn’t found his Team?

If a player with above average attributes can find the same spirit and vibe that moves him,  in a group of Teamates.. there is a form of reciprocal energy.

I think any of us that have played sports, competitively, at almost any level,  where the group “moved” itself energetically as a unit can identify what that chemistry does. 

Perhaps that is what Ferland needs to be more consistent, and quite possibly bring out more of a leadership role in him.

1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

You ignored the whole premise of why I responded to you. Realistically how much do you think Ferland will sign for as a FA? This is a player who has never cracked a 50 point season, but currently shows high value do to his style of play. Wilson just signed for 5.2 million, so the floor of ferland is that I would say. The guy could easily be asking 6×6, and will likely get it.

Eriksson has been a 70 point player when he signed his contract, but was on a sharp decline offensively when it happened. While ferland is trending up, who knows how long that will continue, and how long he can maintain that level of play.

Ferland will likely be overpaid, and short term that will be fine, long term that could handcuff a team. Once we need to start paying out big guns, I would hate to be in year 4 of 6 in Ferlands heavy contract if he is unable to continue he currency trajectory.

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You ignored the whole premise of why I responded to you. Realistically how much do you think Ferland will sign for as a FA? This is a player who has never cracked a 50 point season, but currently shows high value do to his style of play. Wilson just signed for 5.2 million, so the floor of ferland is that I would say. The guy could easily be asking 6×6, and will likely get it.

Eriksson has been a 70 point player when he signed his contract, but was on a sharp decline offensively when it happened. While ferland is trending up, who knows how long that will continue, and how long he can maintain that level of play.

Ferland will likely be overpaid, and short term that will be fine, long term that could handcuff a team. Once we need to start paying out big guns, I would hate to be in year 4 of 6 in Ferlands heavy contract if he is unable to continue he currency trajectory.

I don't think Ferland will get Wilson money. 

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

I don't think Ferland will get Wilson money. 

You're right, he will likely get more.  Tom never even cracked 40 points before signing that contract. This is likely the contract that will set Ferland up for the rest of his life. His style of play is something that very few people can maintain long term, I'm sure he knows that.

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You're right, he will likely get more.  Tom never even cracked 40 points before signing that contract. This is likely the contract that will set Ferland up for the rest of his life. His style of play is something that very few people can maintain long term, I'm sure he knows that.

Thank you for the information all-seeing Shayster.

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

Acting up? All I've said is for the right term and price, Ferland can be incredibly useful. Pretty vanilla claim/opinion on my part I think.

Referring to someone as "all-seeing" for voicing an opinion is. Those who resort to back handed insults when disagreed with are not worth having discussions with.

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

the thing w/ loui is that he gets a lot of goals on 2nd/3rd chances around the net.  i believe the canucks are one of the worst teams at creating rebound opportunities off shots.  i found that stat interesting when i recently heard it.  also explains why loui seemed to really play well with gaudette and roussel.  those 2 had speed and drove the net.  although with motte and beagle he's been decent.

We should have targeted Eric Staal that offseason, if they were so hell bent on getting someone for offence. Cheaper and less risk. 

Loui is the least of our worries. We need a game changing dman. 

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

And you would be wrong. That is Jay Beagle. 

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

And you would be wrong. That is Jay Beagle. 

Sutter kills more penalties and has better numbers than Beagle.

I'd say Beagle is a close second.

LE is actually 7th among forwards in pk ice time....Granlund, Motte, Roussel (and Schaller when he's in the lineup all kill more penalties than LE).

Archived