The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Leafs' Nikita Zaitsev on the move ?

Leafs have only $23M in cap space left for next season and still have to sign Marner and Matthews & 11 players in total........they have to shed Zaitzev's salary as nothing more than a cap dump. They won't have money to re-sign Gardiner either. I just can't see how they can trade for anything but expiring contracts for this season or possibly ELC type salaries.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Leafs have only $23M in cap space left for next season and still have to sign Marner and Matthews & 11 players in total........they have to shed Zaitzev's salary as nothing more than a cap dump. They won't have money to re-sign Gardiner either. I just can't see how they can trade for anything but expiring contracts for this season or possibly ELC type salaries.

Sounds like this guy would be more of a cap dump than really getting quality assets in return, no? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like this guy would be more of a cap dump than really getting quality assets in return, no? 

Teams should be asking for additional picks to take Zaitzev off their hands.........the guys sending out the tweet saying "I know his name has been out there among other teams as someone they could get." has got to be joking or just trying to inflate Zaitzev's worth.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Teams should be asking for additional picks to take Zaitzev off their hands.........the guys sending out the tweet saying "I know his name has been out there among other teams as someone they could get." has got to be joking or just trying to inflate Zaitzev's worth.

sounds like the Leaf's propaganda machine getting another reporter to be their puppet.    

The tweet sounds more like specualtion and not any kind of real rumour.

As for Zaitsev, he's making $4.5M for 5 more years with a modified NTC (10 team no-trade list) kicking in after this year.  He has 9g and 45a in 188 career games.  I've never really watched him play so I don't know how effective of a defender he is, but I think that would be a tough contract to move.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

The tweet sounds more like specualtion and not any kind of real rumour.

As for Zaitsev, he's making $4.5M for 5 more years with a modified NTC (10 team no-trade list) kicking in after this year.  He has 9g and 45a in 188 career games.  I've never really watched him play so I don't know how effective of a defender he is, but I think that would be a tough contract to move.

He's crap, they paid him way too much for too long after just one season.  Moving him for anything would be a HUGE move, enabling them to get some dmen who can play D... if they of course actually try to do that.  If someone's interested they should jump all over it.

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Zaitsev likely has pretty close to no value or even negative value. Bottom pairing guy signed for 5 more years at 4.5 mill a year. With the future cap problems looming for Toronto he is a must ship out if not now this summer for sure.

Similar dollars to Guddy, but doesn't bring the intimidating toughness that Guddy does.  I don't see what Zaitsev actually does that's anything special?   

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

Could see something like zaitsev 1st 3rd for Muzzin. Zaitsev doesn't have much worth at all.

He'd be a younger, warm body for LAK but otherwise isn't much use and has a rather unwieldy contract.

Probably cost more than a 1st and 3rd to take on that cap dump. NZ has almost no/almost negative value.

Just now, aGENT said:

He'd be a younger, warm body for LAK but otherwise isn't much use and has a rather unwieldy contract.

Probably cost more than a 1st and 3rd to take on that cap dump. NZ has almost no/almost negative value.

Ya, honestly I don't see them being interested in him. Liljegren would probably be the more likely target.

3 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Ya, honestly I don't see them being interested in him. Liljegren would probably be the more likely target.

Yeah but LAK would have to take back cap somewhere from TOR. No getting around that.

They just need to charge appropriately ::D

NK, 1st, Kaapanen +/-

Unfortunately for Toronto....

They gave him a 7 year x 4.5 deal after his 36 pt season.

And then he proceeded to score 13 pts.

And this year he has no goals and 5 assists in 46 games.

So, who does Chris Johnston think these teams out there are that are looking to 'get him'?

In fairness to Zaitsev, his production is partly impacted by low ozone starts (something he also had in his productive season) and lack of powerplay minutes the past few years, but the reality is that they gambled on a 7 yr term and can't expect anyone to be eager to take that albatross on.

So, his trade value has got to be in the range of throwing in a good future in order for a team to take that on - or make a significant overpayment on an upgrade in which they're able to include Zaitsev in the deal.  Otherwise I'd be surprised if anyone is looking 'to get' Zaitsev and think this is probably wishful thinking in Lalaland.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Guy is pretty garbo. Offensively non existent (0 goals on the season) and defensively average, on a good night. He's a worse Tanev, much worse. If GMs want the Canucks to retain cap on Tanev in a deal I can only imagine what GMs would want to take on Zaitsev's contract. 

Should we really be mentioning Zaitsev in the same sentence with Tanev?  That's like saying Lucic is much much worse than McDavid.  

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

So, who does Chris Johnston think these teams out there are that are looking to 'get him'?

They probably feel just because he's a Leaf, and the Leafs are a contender, that it automatically makes him desirable. lol

I hope Nylander's contract chokes that team and they get bounced in the first round.

Archived