The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Leafs' Nikita Zaitsev on the move ?

30 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Could see something like zaitsev 1st 3rd for Muzzin. Zaitsev doesn't have much worth at all.

the thing about Muzzin is that he's not a great fit for Toronto, and even if they acquired him they'd still have to look to improve their right side.

Reilly, Gardiner, Dermott is not really what they're looking to improve upon.

It's Hainsey, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov imo - in keeping with the rarity/difficulty in acquiring RHD.

This is why I think a guy like Tanev is and has been near the top of their list of targets for some time.

If they want Tanev and want to get rid of Zaitsev's terms at the same time, I'm not sure this team would want to marry themselves to Zaitsev's cap hit for another half decade.

If so, they'd better expect to pay a very hefty price.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Tanev is overrated around here. So yes, I would mention Zaitsev in the realm of Tanev.

Well Tanev is one of the top defensive D in the league, according to fancy stats.  Zaitsev is a crap Dman on a crazy long contract.  

What's the weather like in Toronto today?

Just now, Alflives said:

Well Tanev is one of the top defensive D in the league, according to fancy stats.  Zaitsev is a crap Dman on a crazy long contract.  

What's the weather like in Toronto today?

Fancy stats make a lot of players look good. That's what makes them fancy. As you can tell those fancy stats sure have gone a long way to helping Arizona get outta the basement. You guys keep saying Tanev is a top defensive player in the league yet teams are apparently asking the Canucks to retain cap on a guy making 4mil. I am wasting my time trying to debate Canuck value with a guy that thinks Hughes is already better than Karlsson.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Fancy stats make a lot of players look good. That's what makes them fancy. As you can tell those fancy stats sure have gone a long way to helping Arizona get outta the basement. You guys keep saying Tanev is a top defensive player in the league yet teams are apparently asking the Canucks to retain cap on a guy making 4mil. I am wasting my time trying to debate Canuck value with a guy that thinks Hughes is already better than Karlsson.

It's not a debate board.  It's a Canuck's fan board, right?  

Tanev is clearly a million times better than Zaitsev.  

Again, what's the weather like in Toronto today?  

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If they want Tanev and want to get rid of Zaitsev's terms at the same time, I'm not sure this team would want to marry themselves to Zaitsev's cap hit for another half decade.

If so, they'd better expect to pay a very hefty price.

I couldn't even begin on how to balance a trade with Tanev and Zaitsev as principals.  Picks aren't enough, as they'd be low 1sts.  Liljegren is no sure thing, we don't really need Kapanen, and any other prospects are like all Leafs, over-hyped to the moon.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's not a debate board.  It's a Canuck's fan board, right?  

Tanev is clearly a million times better than Zaitsev.  

Again, what's the weather like in Toronto today?  

Yeah, a fan board. Does that mean I need to be an idiot in regards to how good our players are?

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, a fan board. Does that mean I need to be an idiot in regards to how good our players are?

I'll settle for moron, like me. :towel:

I know I'm crazy about our players some times, but I hate the Leafs propaganda machine, and how it puppets the eastern media.  Plus, Tanev is way better than Zaitsev. Oh, and Hughes is going to change how the game is played.  :canucks:

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I couldn't even begin on how to balance a trade with Tanev and Zaitsev as principals.  Picks aren't enough, as they'd be low 1sts.  Liljegren is no sure thing, we don't really need Kapanen, and any other prospects are like all Leafs, over-hyped to the moon.

yeah - like it or not, Toronto has once again mismanaged their cap (ala the Phaneuf and Kessel contracts) - and what's worse for them, they don't really have the assets that their competitors do to make the moves they need to.  Tampa has a LOT more to work with, and even Boston has Vaakanainen, Frederic, Bjork, JFK, Senyshyn, Zboril, Lauzon.....The Leafs are going to have 40 millionish tied up in 5 forwards.....one of them 40 yrs old - while they are running with an 18 million blueline....

I think they probably have the assets if they're willing to strip mine, but even when you look at their 'stockpile tha pickz' draft years - ie their 11 picks in 2016 - is there anything there you'd want beyond Matthews?  Grundstrom maybe, perhaps an undersized skill forward like Bracco from their 2015 class (neither are really a need for this team)....Sandin, Liljegren, and picks....Kapanen moves the dial a bit (I like him as a player and have since his draft year) but does he fit a need like a departing Tanev would?   Meh.  Other teams in a far better position to make moves imo, and who don't have to rid themselves of a Zaitsev contract in the process - ie I'd much sooner take Coburn's contract off Tampa's hands, and would be far more interested in a number of pieces they have to work with.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'll settle for moron, like me. :towel:

I know I'm crazy about our players some times, but I hate the Leafs propaganda machine, and how it puppets the eastern media.  Plus, Tanev is way better than Zaitsev. Oh, and Hughes is going to change how the game is played.  :canucks:

I already said Zaitsev is much worse than Tanev, which is pretty much the same as you saying Tanev is way better than Zaitsev. Not sure why it upset you so much. 

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - like it or not, Toronto has once again mismanaged their cap (ala the Phaneuf and Kessel contracts) - and what's worse for them, they don't really have the assets that their competitors do to make the moves they need to.  Tampa has a LOT more to work with, and even Boston has Vaakanainen, Frederic, Bjork, JFK, Senyshyn, Zboril, Lauzon.....

The whole "rebuild is over, here come the cups" narrative is really going to sting them unless they get back to drafting and replenishing the prospect pool.  Either that or Dubas keeps being gifted bailouts by Uncle Lou.

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I like the concept. Kap would be an upgrade on Goldy. But ya, that late first doesnt do enough to even it up. Not big on Liljigren. 

Much like the Matheson contract, the Zaitsev contract is one of the most confusing and baffling contracts in recent NHL history. How in the world did he get a 7 year contract worth 31 mill?

That said, I'm sure someone will bite. He's a servicable NHL defender. I could see a team like Arizona biting or Ottawa... a team with an internal cap... or a team looking to reach the cap floor. He's just got a terrible, terrible contract.

Archived