The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aucoin spills the beans about ex-Canucks teammates. Best Interview ever

JustNazzy

3 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Lol, considering Sabre's games were very very rarely televised. Even Canucks games were hard to come by during the early 90's before sportsnet. Im calling you a liar.

I always liked the Sabres and had to hope Canucks-Sabres games were on tv, otherwise it was the odd Hockey Night In Canada game or the playoffs to see the Sabres. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I always liked the Sabres and had to hope Canucks-Sabres games were on tv, otherwise it was the odd Hockey Night In Canada game or the playoffs to see the Sabres. 

Thank gawd for streaming and NHL centre ice. Even Canucks games were televised like every 4th or 5th game? We'd go through a week without seeing a game on tv, relying on radio for most of our Canucks fix. We were fortunate enough to have an illegal satellite setup so I was able to watch practically all the Kings/Sharks games though Prime Ticket ( now its Fox Sports) so I  was always covered when they played the Canucks as well as the local schedule

Although both Bure and Mogilny were superstars, I have a soft spot in my heart for Igor Larionov... who might have had a better career in the NHL than both of them if he hadn't been forced to spend his best years playing in the Soviet Union.  When he was at the top of his game, his line with Markov and Krutov was one of the best lines in hockey.  By the time he got here, he was  on the downhill slope.  Although he was a terrific mentor for Pavel in his first year.

He then went on to lead the Sharks to the Finals... and then three Cup wins in Detroit... something which betters both Mogilny and Bure.  He was a real 200 ft player... could do it all.

“Alex, he was not the most motivated guy because he was so &^@#ing good. He was so good it was scary.

“He could pass, he could shoot, he could skate, he could even play really physical. I’ve seen him bury guys in the corner, take the puck and go and score because he was pissed off – at will.

Thats why I love Bure. Heart, determination, PURE WILL. Stuff that can't be accurately reflected in your corsi or looking back at the historic numbers. Elbows and whatnot lol.

Maybe it was because his dad was such a hard ass...who knows?? To have the tools is one thing, but to have that winning mindset and our desire to be the best is what separates the Bure's from the Mogilny's.

1 hour ago, Boeserker said:

“Alex, he was not the most motivated guy because he was so &^@#ing good. He was so good it was scary.

“He could pass, he could shoot, he could skate, he could even play really physical. I’ve seen him bury guys in the corner, take the puck and go and score because he was pissed off – at will.

Thats why I love Bure. Heart, determination, PURE WILL. Stuff that can't be accurately reflected in your corsi or looking back at the historic numbers. Elbows and whatnot lol.

Maybe it was because his dad was such a hard ass...who knows?? To have the tools is one thing, but to have that winning mindset and our desire to be the best is what separates the Bure's from the Mogilny's.

That quote was about mogilny

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Thank gawd for streaming and NHL centre ice. Even Canucks games were televised like every 4th or 5th game? We'd go through a week without seeing a game on tv, relying on radio for most of our Canucks fix. We were fortunate enough to have an illegal satellite setup so I was able to watch practically all the Kings/Sharks games though Prime Ticket ( now its Fox Sports) so I  was always covered when they played the Canucks as well as the local schedule

We'd like to say hello to pensioners, the blind...

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

However the biggest disgrace was done by bill good sr in an interview i saw with almo and i wish i could have been there to slap bill in the face

Wasn't Bill Good Snr gone in the mid/ late 70s ? Seem to remember him at Canuck games pulling an oxygen tank around. (...or is my memory totally out of wack ? )

2 hours ago, Boeserker said:

You know that Aucion is talking about Mogilny right?  Bure was a more explosive skater, otherwise their skill sets were similar.  Expect Mogilny backchecked and played defense too, something Bure never showed much interest in although would come back when he saw opportunities to get the puck...most of the time he stayed back waiting for a pass though.   Having watched both of them during all there time here, Alex was the better player at that time.  Going to NJ didnt do his numbers any favours but it did get him a cup, and his numbers still were very good for how many he played, and that he played half his career in the dead puck era.

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Lol, considering Sabre's games were very very rarely televised. Even Canucks games were hard to come by during the early 90's before sportsnet. Im calling you a liar.

Lol, I used to go to every Canucks game at Pacific Coliseum and then at GM Place, so I watched both of them play their entire Canuck careers.  I never said I watched every Sabres game, I still don't do that even today.  But I watched enough of both of them plus playoffs which were always on tv to understand that Bure had the extra gear.  Fedorov was the most complete out of the three, Bure the most exciting and dynamic and Mogilny was a pure goal scorer.  But nobody is going to tell me Mogilny was a better overall player than Bure.  Show me the stats that prove that?  Other than his rookie year and the one year with Vancouver when Bure got injured how many times did Mogilny score 50 goals?  If he was so great why didn't he score 50 goals every year?  Bure scored close to 60 goals with Florida twice AFTER his second knee operation.  Without the two torn ACL's Bure could have easily gotten to 600 or even 700 goals and played till he was 40 like Jagr.

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Out in Saskatchewan in the 90s, our cable provider included BCTV and a Hamilton channel. The Hamilton channel did show its fair share of Sabre games among the Leafs broadcasts. BCTV was excellent for showing Canuck games. Sportsnet and TSN ruined that once they came along. I guess seeing games was just a matter of where you lived. ;)

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Mogilny’s 76 goal season and effortless looking play says otherwise. Yes Bure was electric but overall Mogilny was the better player. 

He did that his rookie year.  What did he do afterwards?  His effortless play sounds more like laziness than pure skill.  I saw Mogilny floating around many a game.  Bure never took a shift off.  He loved to dance and have the puck.  Bure had TWO torn ACL's in his career and still managed to hit 50 goals 5 times.  Mogilny did it twice.  So the actual numbers don't support your theory that Mogilny was the better player.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Their skill levels were not similar.  Watched both of them play their entire careers.  Bure had an extra gear that not even Mogilny had.  

Not sure what you were watching, but Magic (who did not get that nickname by accident) was just as good as the Rocket. Yes, Bure was a slightly quicker skater and had maybe a marginally better shot.

But Mogilny was a bit better at everything else. Noticeably better playmaker (partly due to much more willingness to pass) and certainly more useful defensively (again, partly due to his willingness to come down below the blueline when the puck was in the defensive zone).

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not sure what you were watching, but Magic (who did not get that nickname by accident) was just as good as the Rocket. Yes, Bure was a slightly quicker skater and had maybe a marginally better shot.

But Mogilny was a bit better at everything else. Noticeably better playmaker (partly due to much more willingness to pass) and certainly more useful defensively (again, partly due to his willingness to come down below the blueline when the puck was in the defensive zone).

As I recall Bure scored ALOT of shorthanded goals.  Mogilny was a superstar player, but his laziness cost him a chance to truly be one of the greats.  Both great players but one MAJOR thing separates the two...

Pavel Bure was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012.  Alexander  Mogilny was not.  Case closed...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As I recall Bure scored ALOT of shorthanded goals.  Mogilny was a superstar player, but his laziness cost him a chance to truly be one of the greats.  Both great players but one MAJOR thing separates the two...

Pavel Bure was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012.  Alexander  Mogilny was not.  Case closed...

Mogilny will be in the HHF just be cuz he was the first Russian to play in the NHL.

It’s very funny all of the 1st generation Russian players that played in the nhl all went back to Russia. Mogilny is now living in Vladivostok and is part of that KHL Management team.

i watched a documentary on Fetisov about Russian hockey and the Russia 5. It was interesting the part about the 80 Olympics

the miracle on ice. Fetisov said they beat USA 7-0 a week earlier and was saying that the Russian coach Tikhanov was a big time a-hole. Fetisov didn’t say it, but alluded to losing the gold medal game to USA in order to get Tikhanov fired. But it back fired as Tikhanov was so senior in the KGB that he was untouchable and all the players where replaced with exception to young Fetisov.

Archived