The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Predictions for Draft & July 1 UFA

Skinner Edler and Myers would be my choices. 

Pearson Pete Boeser (O)

Skinner Bo Goldobin (run and gun)

Roussel Beagle Virtanen (shut down)

Loui Gaudette Leivo (utility)

Spooner Granlund Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Stetcher

Juolevi Biega 

Markstrom 

Demko

Out Sutter Baertschi for 2019 pix. They have both done well as place holders and would keep either of them but there are only so many roster spots.

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Edler 3x5.5 (doesnt get a nmc which is huge for protecting assets. 

Tyler myers 5x7.5

I feel they sign a LW

Either panarin marcus johanssen or ferland.

I would pass on Myers for that contract. Edler gets a limited ntc on that deal also, like 10 team no trade list 

panarin is gonna cost too much, It is hard to say how are LW is now. Baer, Pearson, Goldy. All have top 6 potential or a good complimentary W in a top 6 role.

8 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would pass on Myers for that contract. Edler gets a limited ntc on that deal also, like 10 team no trade list 

panarin is gonna cost too much, It is hard to say how are LW is now. Baer, Pearson, Goldy. All have top 6 potential or a good complimentary W in a top 6 role.

Im tired of playing the "ifs and buts" game. We need to start surrounding our core with other talent. 

Baer COULD be a decent LW2 if he stays healthy

Goldobin could be a LW2 if he becomes more consistent

Pearson could be a LW2 if he regains the confidence he had with LA. Or he could have been a product of a very good team. 

One of those guys MAY pan out. No way all 3 do. Besides none of those guys will ever be a top line winger. We should be counting our blessings if one turns into a legit top 6 scorer. 

There are multiple proven top 6 lws on the market. Is one of our shallower positions so lets grab one. 

Just my two cents 

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Im tired of playing the "ifs and buts" game. We need to start surrounding our core with other talent. 

Pearson could be a LW2 if he regains the confidence he had with LA. Or he could have been a product of a very good team. 

One of those guys MAY pan out. No way all 3 do. Besides none of those guys will ever be a top line winger. We should be counting our blessings if one turns into a legit top 6 scorer. 

There are multiple proven top 6 lws on the market. Is one of our shallower positions so lets grab one. 

Just my two cents 

If Pearson does well to finish the year, Goldy could be moved at the draft. Baer holds no value with his concussion history. He has to come back and play for a bit before we could consider moving him.

We do need legit top 6 scoring help for sure. We also having massive glaring holes on D. None of which get solved by keeping Edler and Tanev.

We say we should sign Edler, but what is it going to cost to retain Hutton? If we sign both to 4m or higher deals for most likely 3year minimum that blocks Hughes playing more min or us having an expensive 3rd pairing guy on the left side for a year or more.

Would be curious to see what Ferland wants term and $ wise if he hits FA. Same with Simmonds who might be had on a shorter contract. But he is a RW who would block Virtanen every getting a chance in the top 6 for us, which Green seems reluctant to do anyway

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If Pearson does well to finish the year, Goldy could be moved at the draft. Baer holds no value with his concussion history. He has to come back and play for a bit before we could consider moving him.

We do need legit top 6 scoring help for sure. We also having massive glaring holes on D. None of which get solved by keeping Edler and Tanev.

We say we should sign Edler, but what is it going to cost to retain Hutton? If we sign both to 4m or higher deals for most likely 3year minimum that blocks Hughes playing more min or us having an expensive 3rd pairing guy on the left side for a year or more.

Would be curious to see what Ferland wants term and $ wise if he hits FA. Same with Simmonds who might be had on a shorter contract. But he is a RW who would block Virtanen every getting a chance in the top 6 for us, which Green seems reluctant to do anyway

Someone suggested Anders Lee in the GDT. Id be all for that.  Ferland kind of scares me. If he can snag him for less than 5.5 and he continues to put uo 40 pts i like that for a winger next to EP. If we do something dumb and sign him for 6 and he regresses to less tham 30 pts, thats going to bite us in the ass. 

Also side note

If im the GM, not a god damn player short of EP gets a ntc. They've handicapped us for far too long. 

Would like to see at the draft unless we win the lottery we pick Bowen Byram. Then getting a late first for tanev if possible. with that pick id like to see Suzuki/ Soderstrom (seen them ranked anywhere from mid to late first rounder)

foote (late first) or drafting spencer knight would be interesting I know he’s a goalie but it makes dipietro or demko a good trade piece if needed ( seen him ranked anywhere from top 10 to early second). Then dumping  as many bad contracts/players as possible for anything. (Granlund. Pouliot. Eriksson. Spooner. Schaller)

see if we can get mid round picks for baer and Sutter. 

Realistically of the players that are signed for the 19/20 season can’t see us being able to move Eriksson or baer (only for health reasons)

With that being said we have 49.8 mil on the books for next year if we are able to move the players above (except Eriksson and baer) we have only 36 mil committed. 

Resign 

edler 3 years 5 mil

boeser 8 years 7.5 mil

goldy 1 year 1.75

leivo 1-2 years 2 mil

motte 1-2 years 1.5 mil

hutton 1 year 3.5 mil

schenn 1 year 1 mil

hughes .925 mil

Demko 1-2 years 2 mil

that takes us up to 61.175 mil on the books for next year and with the cap going up to 83 mil we have 21.825 to play with

Now come July 1 

Go after Karlson 7 years 11 mil 

Or skinner 7 year 7 mil and Myers 3 years 6 mil

both still leave us with cap space 

Couple days/ weeks into free agency it would be cool if oilers don’t dump any major contracts and assuming they go after a winger and or d man and puljujarvi isn’t signed yet throw a 1 year 3.5-4 mil offer sheet at him oilers wouldn’t be able to match it and it’d only cost us a 2nd rounder.  

•Draft BPA

•Trade redundant players at draft if possible (Sutter, Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller)

• Do not tender a qualify offer to Granlund and Pouliot

•Re-Sign Edler

•Sign top pairing D

•Sign 1st line LW 

______ Pettersson Boeser 

Baertschi Horvat Leivo

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

Goldobin ______

(Sutter, Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller)

Edler ______

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Biega

Markstrom

Demko

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Someone suggested Anders Lee in the GDT. Id be all for that.  Ferland kind of scares me. If he can snag him for less than 5.5 and he continues to put uo 40 pts i like that for a winger next to EP. If we do something dumb and sign him for 6 and he regresses to less tham 30 pts, thats going to bite us in the ass. 

Also side note

If im the GM, not a god damn player short of EP gets a ntc. They've handicapped us for far too long. 

I would think NYI want to sign their Captain, but who knows how much he wants/is worth?

What is a fair contract for Lee as a FA? He will be 29, is he worth 6-8yr contract?

Sign Myers and Karlsson this summer to see if we get any improvement on D 

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Leivo Gaudette Motte 

Roussel Beagle MacEwen 

Edler Karlsson 

Hutton Stetcher 

Hughes Myers 

Markstrom 

Demko 

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Also side note

I agree with the Ntc. It's great for maybe the first year, because you don't have to pay near as much in market value, but damn does it screw your team in the long run. Modified ntc is not so bad, At least it gives the team options. 

20 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I agree with the Ntc. It's great for maybe the first year, because you don't have to pay near as much in market value, but damn does it screw your team in the long run. Modified ntc is not so bad, At least it gives the team options. 

I think a modified ntc is alright to give. Plus until the loophole is fixed we can front load contracts with signing bonuses that can entice players

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Just my two cents 

I hate the ifs and buts too. I could score 100 goals a year if I could only....

Get real. 

Archived