The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van Minni @ the draft Proposal the unthinkable

I am as stoked as anyone about this upcoming draft. Let's say we miss the boat on the lotto though. No Hughes no Kakko no Byram. We end up with the 7/8th pick there are no top end RHD in this draft. But there are some good options in the 2nd. 

The Canucks trade our 1st 2019 to Minni + Jake Virtanen

Minni Trades Matt Dumba

Dumba is 24 RHD was injured most of the season (threw a wild punch) however is the type of player I dream of the Canucks being able to draft. He is fast, aggressive offensivly, has a cannon and plays with edge.  

Minni now has 2 picks in the 7-12 range to help control their cap and stay competitive as Pariese's and Suters contracts turn into the albatrosses we all knew they would be. 

Edler Dumba

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Stetcher

Juolevi Woo

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

BOOOOOO!

That's what we'll all hear on Draft Day when Benning pulls off this trade. The Draft is in VAN, no way they trade their picks, especially the 1st.

NJ traded their 1st in NJ for Schnides. 

Like I said Dumba is the type of player I dream of the canucks being able to draft. He is a better fit than anyone 5-10 in the draft for the canucks needs right now.

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

not sure Granny & our first would fetch Dumba, but if they did say yes, I'd do it.. 

also not sure they'd want granny anyways, after recently parting ways with the other brother

lol I totally forgot they traded him you're right I think we would have to sweeten the deal a bit more than our 1st but I don't think too much possibly Goldobin, Leivo something like that. Virtanen would be my max offer.

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

right... Minnesota wants to make the playoffs, so they are going to trade you their future #1 dman for the #7 pick and a FA 4th liner. 

Haha well when you say it like that! I thought here on CDC every pick turned into Datsyuk Zetterberg and Virtanen is Cam Neely.

I don't actually think the value is that far off.  There will be some very sexy forwards still available at that pick. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Haha well when you say it like that! I thought here on CDC every pick turned into Datsyuk Zetterberg and Virtanen is Cam Neely.

I don't actually think the value is that far off.  There will be some very sexy forwards still available at that pick. 

Last time I checked, the value for a young #1 defenseman is off the charts. Actually, teams dont even offer them. And we have CDC here nice and pure thinking we grab one for below market value. 

Minnesota is not trading Dumba - he's a core player for them.  When healthy they have one of the best D-corps in the league.  Last season they were 2nd in D scoring just behind Nashville.

They also have plenty of cap space.  Owner Leopold was just talking about how they will be active in free agency.

"He's one of four guys that has had three consecutive years of 10+ goals before he's 23...you're seeing him going forward as possibly getting better, it certainly made sense to go in the terms that we did." — GM Paul Fenton on Dumba.

Also: "Once you believe they're going to be part of your core, it's important to lock them up and keep them as long as you possibly can."

Would love to have Dumba but like others have said I doubt Minnesota parts with him. These players do not grow on trees. We would need to offer way more to even get Minny to think about it for more than 3 seconds without laughing.

Just now, smithers joe said:

or we could draft soderstrom and wait for him to become an elite d man.

if we end up picking 10th or 11th this is the guy I'd like them to go after. His scouting reports talk about his high end hockey IQ. Could be a nice fit with Hughes down the road. 

30 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Last time I checked, the value for a young #1 defenseman is off the charts. Actually, teams dont even offer them. And we have CDC here nice and pure thinking we grab one for below market value. 

Ok lets go flip side then what would Vancouver have to give up to get another top 10 pick?? Is there anything on our team other than Pete Bo Hughes? I think even Boeser might be debatable.

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

or we could draft soderstrom and wait for him to become an elite d man.

You really like him huh I have read you pumping his tires before. For me he's not in the top 10 discussion. Have you watched much of his play what is peaking your interest so high. He looks like a 2nd pairing nothing flashy good all round minute muncher to me. He does not scream Elite but when it comes to D the best ones are often the ones who aren't super flashy. 

I'm curious if you have been watching him closely why you are keying in on him as an elite D prospect?

What a Dumba proposal::D

I kid, I don't mind trading our first if we can't get Byram.  Keeping it just because we're hosting the draft and not at least fielding offers for it would be moronic.  

I prefer the possibility of going after Trouba (rfa).  The Jets are in cap hell for the coming season and will have several high end young players wanting big $.  There's no way they can sign all of them.

I also prefer to hang onto the 1st this year, maybe give up the 1st for next year.  If not, I certainly would want the pick to be lotto protected at the very least. 

Archived