The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Pettersson and Boeser chemistry, and 2 moves we can make this summer to help us contend next season

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

What’s Hughes if he’s not a number one D?  

Good one Alf, exactly.  Yes he’s only played a handful of games with almost career AHLer but holding on tooth and nail, Schenn on the third line, but how he can skate with the puck has sold me on his ability to one day soon take over the top line and run a good PP.  

He’s no Weber or Suter,  a guy that can play 30 minutes a game against top competition and both crunch guys and the puck...but that’s not the only definition of a number one.  He’s a rover which adds an entirely different feel to both the defense and the offense of the team as he basically is like a fourth forward that can skate well enough to get back into the play and break things up.  Neidermeyer and Zubov were like that, and of course Coffey and Orr too (all elite skaters) and maybe Leetch too.  Size wise only Housley made the HHOF (Ok Harvey was not tall but he was built like a tank and could crush guys too),  but recent trends say this is the type of defenseman that can thrive in the new NHL where speed is king.  Ellis, Krug, McAvoy and Ghost are all about the same size...I can see the point that he’s not a traditional number one...but think he could become our Duncan Keith.

My money at this point is he will become our number one and do a very good job of it once the team realizes what he can do and starts to anticipate it.  Karlsson is not that big either but is tough as nails and skating is also one of his strong suits.  I agree that we need something on the right side OR need to replace a! Edler type that can do everything well just not elite at anything  (Broberg folks, he’s the same size now and will only get bigger PLUS he skates better now than Edler ever has, and does all the same things) and pair them well with decent players.  Two solid top pairings can be better than one good one and bland there on out.

Not at all opposed to signing either Myers or Karlsson, would prefer the latter because he’s still and will be for some time, the best defenseman in the world (he’s Crosby but on defense) and will be worth every cent.  Myers is a bit of an upgrade and would help too, but personally think he comes with more cap risk (see LE, Neal, Patches and other second tier guys that end up costing more than they are worth).  

If Benning does what he says he wants to, which is fix our defense and add another top six winger this team will compete for the playoffs next season, and only get better with time.  Hope he does this...but also am ok with another lottery pick next year and then going for it.

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The rebuild is far from done. I was listening to Botchford and he did make some points how The Canucks need to execute the off season perfectly and he does have a point.

He highlighted that the team around Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, and Petterson are just not good enough and there are too many similar bottom 6 grinders in the team.

What Botchford also fails to point out is context.  Before this season no one knew how EP would do, or how Hughes would look, and the bottom 6 lacked depth and wasnt hard to play against.  The latter 2 points were addressed with Beagle and Roussel. 

I havnt heard JB ever say anything remotely close to the rebuild being "done," far from it.  

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good one Alf, exactly.  Yes he’s only played a handful of games with almost career AHLer but holding on tooth and nail, Schenn on the third line, but how he can skate with the puck has sold me on his ability to one day soon take over the top line and run a good PP.  

He’s no Weber or Suter,  a guy that can play 30 minutes a game against top competition and both crunch guys and the puck...but that’s not the only definition of a number one.  He’s a rover which adds an entirely different feel to both the defense and the offense of the team as he basically is like a fourth forward that can skate well enough to get back into the play and break things up.  Neidermeyer and Zubov were like that, and of course Coffey and Orr too (all elite skaters) and maybe Leetch too.  Size wise only Housley made the HHOF (Ok Harvey was not tall but he was built like a tank and could crush guys too),  but recent trends say this is the type of defenseman that can thrive in the new NHL where speed is king.  Ellis, Krug, McAvoy and Ghost are all about the same size...I can see the point that he’s not a traditional number one...but think he could become our Duncan Keith.

My money at this point is he will become our number one and do a very good job of it once the team realizes what he can do and starts to anticipate it.  Karlsson is not that big either but is tough as nails and skating is also one of his strong suits.  I agree that we need something on the right side OR need to replace a! Edler type that can do everything well just not elite at anything  (Broberg folks, he’s the same size now and will only get bigger PLUS he skates better now than Edler ever has, and does all the same things) and pair them well with decent players.  Two solid top pairings can be better than one good one and bland there on out.

Not at all opposed to signing either Myers or Karlsson, would prefer the latter because he’s still and will be for some time, the best defenseman in the world (he’s Crosby but on defense) and will be worth every cent.  Myers is a bit of an upgrade and would help too, but personally think he comes with more cap risk (see LE, Neal, Patches and other second tier guys that end up costing more than they are worth).  

If Benning does what he says he wants to, which is fix our defense and add another top six winger this team will compete for the playoffs next season, and only get better with time.  Hope he does this...but also am ok with another lottery pick next year and then going for it.

I’m super high on signing EK, and drafting Broberg.  Hughes wants to dominate the game.  EK wants to dominate the game.  (You mentioned Orr, Harvey, Leetch, who had that desire to dominate the game) These kinds of guys have the skill, yes, but they have what others call “it”, which I define as an internal drive to dominate the game.  I see that “it” factor in Broberg too.

With Hughes, EK, and Broberg we’d always have a d man on the ice who wants to dominate.  

Really like how the team is shaping up. I agree that they need two more top 6 wingers and I think an overhaul of the D. I believe they'll hang on to Baertschi, because his value is probably pretty low. And for some reason, I think they give Goldobin the off-season to really work on things and prove himself at camp. If he shows up unprepared, then they trade him. He's got too much skill to give up on. Which confuses me about Dahlen. I really wish they gave him a look with Pettersson in a few regular season NHL games. I would be okay with this next season, although will still need upgrades.

Baertschi/Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - CONNOLLY

Some things that could happen: Tanev and Pouliot traded. Maybe even Hutton. Biega, Sautner, Brisebois and Rafferty all to Utica. Juolevi ready, Tryamkin returns. And Benning needs to sign Edler and at least one other UFA. Or maybe he brings in another D by way of a trade? So many things can happen. I'd be pretty happy with this next season.

Edler - STRALMAN  (fellow Swedes)

TRYAMKIN - Hughes 

Hutton - Stecher

JUOLEVI

Schenn

11 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

My favorite part though. Them both calling Bo cap. ....

Mine too!  He's the undisputed, yet to be named captain. Who else can ban Fortnite on road trips? 

G - Demko/DiPietro

Please no, let's not throw away our number 1 goalie that we took 5 years to groom.  

I'd have to see some lights out play from Demko next year for us to move on from Marky.  Give me Marky for the next 7 years please.  Goalies take a long long time to mature and play well into their 30s. 

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Baertschi/Lievo Gaudette Sutter

Rousell Beagle Eriksson/Granlund

You forgot Motte!!!  Our best defensive player this year and the guy who led us in hits and was amongst the league leaders in that department.  

I bolded the players that I believe are in our future, and with the addition of Motte that's 10 forwards.  I am hopeful that Sven regains his health and puts together a 70 game season.  Zack MacEwen deserves a look next year.  I'm ready to move on from Loui and Granlund, they're just too soft to play against.  

Cheers for the post OP! 

12 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Edler Tanev

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton 

Markstrom

Demko

That team is close to the salary cap without taking into consideration you somehow dumped Schaller and Spooner.

Canucks don't have as much money as they think they do. They've got space for about one big name, or two decent sized fish.

The near 20m of dead cap for Beagle, Schaller, Sutter, Eriksson, and Spooner hampers us. Those guys could all be replaced by guys making sub 2m. And before one of you says they bring veteran leadership worth the money, we literally saw a waiver wire minor leaguer in Schenn come in and replace big money leader Gudbranson. So this fallacy needs to stop.

If the youth take a leap next year we really only need two UFAs to be in the hunt next year. 1) a stud D and 2) a stud winger. But we need both to be big and nasty. Enough softness. EK is only on my wish list if we find other ways to beef up the back end. Up front, we need way more size for line 1 and 2. Nucks were like a bantam team in a midget league this year. Yes, some great talent but they pushed around by school-yard bullies all game long.   

Everyone is talking about adding UFAs, etc. which is fine (at the right price and term) but I would be happy if they supplemented the core with some one year contracts and if possible bring a "younger" top-4 D type via trade. The two things I would prefer to see the team work on are:

(1) Work with the league to produce a more balanced schedule. November and February were brutal months with 44% of their road games being played in that month. I would love to see the Canucks have two road trips a month throughout the year (either a 4 gamer and 3 gamer or a five gamer and a two gamer). That would balance out the wear and tear on their bodies and allow for a more consistent schedule.

(2) Tighten up spacing on the break out. First to admit that the defense has struggled carrying the puck but the forwards have not made it easy on them. The gap between the defense and the forwards during break outs is way to big. If the forwards were to cycle back farther into the D zone during the breakouts I think it would give the defense more options, improve the breakout and limit counter attack chances.

If the team corrects these two areas, I think we will see a big jump next year - regardless of which UFAs they do or do not sign.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Botchford is right in this.  We lack enough high end talent, and we don't have any coming.

We need to clear away the "flotsam and jetsam" as they put it on 1040.

Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, Goldobin, Biega, Spooner, Pouliot are all guys you should try to trade away for picks and prospects... or in packages for better players.  IF none of those guys were on our team next year we should be happy.  They are all easily replaceable.  Virtanen, Hutton, and Tanev could also be moved for higher end young talent,

If you can turn any combination of those guys into a top 6 winger and/or a top 4 RD with a point shot... we are way ahead on the deal.  Our picks after this year should be in play as long as we are getting a young, club controlled guy for the top half of our roster in return.

Add in a couple of the best UFAs who will agree to come here and we actually have a chance to move in the right direction without just praying and hoping all our players have career years, don't get hurt, and our goaltending can be great.

Outside of Sutter who might get you a third rounder , what would you be willing to give up for said players? No team in their right mind would give up a draft pick for any of those players. I agree completely they are all easily replaceable but if thats the case why would anyone want to give you anything for them. you cannot turn any of those guys or a combination of those guys into a top line winger. Other teams want to keep their top line wingers and add your star players to their team.

Currently we have about 6 players who have any stock in the league.

Horvat

Petterson

Hughes

Boeser

Markstrom

and maybe Virtanen but likely not very much value to another team.

Tanev a team might be willing to take on for nothing.

So which of those players are you wanting to trade to get a top line winger?

The team is in rebuild mode and as such needs to add talent. and lots of it. the past couple drafts we added some in Petterson and Hughes.  We still need to draft more and stop talking like adding Karlsson next year will win us the cup. We are far from that still and we need to add more top end talent. Drafting or a possible younger free agent will help. But this team is not ready to compete fro a cup and we shouldnt expect that as of yet

2 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

If the youth take a leap next year we really only need two UFAs to be in the hunt next year. 1) a stud D and 2) a stud winger. But we need both to be big and nasty. Enough softness. EK is only on my wish list if we find other ways to beef up the back end. Up front, we need way more size for line 1 and 2. Nucks were like a bantam team in a midget league this year. Yes, some great talent but they pushed around by school-yard bullies all game long.   

EK does not want to come to a bottom feeder team that has no chance of winning the cup even if he comes here

2 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

That team is close to the salary cap without taking into consideration you somehow dumped Schaller and Spooner.

Canucks don't have as much money as they think they do. They've got space for about one big name, or two decent sized fish.

The near 20m of dead cap for Beagle, Schaller, Sutter, Eriksson, and Spooner hampers us. Those guys could all be replaced by guys making sub 2m. And before one of you says they bring veteran leadership worth the money, we literally saw a waiver wire minor leaguer in Schenn come in and replace big money leader Gudbranson. So this fallacy needs to stop.

The “fallacy” is for 2019-2020 as of right now before raises, re-signing and letting guys go we have 30.5 million in cap space.  Edler and Boeser will take up a good chunk of that.   But there still will be a good chunk left for EP and Hughes plus plus....pining for EK is ok, same with Panarin, same with Duchene.  That said I appreciate what your saying, spending more for bottom six players isn’t money well spent...good thing their contracts will be up by the time our prospects are ready for those roles right?  

10 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Outside of Sutter who might get you a third rounder , what would you be willing to give up for said players? No team in their right mind would give up a draft pick for any of those players. I agree completely they are all easily replaceable but if thats the case why would anyone want to give you anything for them. you cannot turn any of those guys or a combination of those guys into a top line winger. Other teams want to keep their top line wingers and add your star players to their team.

Currently we have about 6 players who have any stock in the league.

Horvat

Petterson

Hughes

Boeser

Markstrom

and maybe Virtanen but likely not very much value to another team.

Tanev a team might be willing to take on for nothing.

So which of those players are you wanting to trade to get a top line winger?

The team is in rebuild mode and as such needs to add talent. and lots of it. the past couple drafts we added some in Petterson and Hughes.  We still need to draft more and stop talking like adding Karlsson next year will win us the cup. We are far from that still and we need to add more top end talent. Drafting or a possible younger free agent will help. But this team is not ready to compete fro a cup and we shouldnt expect that as of yet

Well any of the flotsam and jetsam guys, you try to get anything for them, even if it is a 7th rounder.  It is just clearing them out, the return is meaningless.  You can move Sutter, Goldobin, and Granlund easily enough.  The other guys either don’t re-sign, waive or see if they can go in a package with another player.

As for getting a top 6 winger or top 4 D.  I said also as pieces potentially going the other way Virtanen, Tanev, and Hutton are options to look at.  Picks after this year also have to be on the table.

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The “fallacy” is for 2019-2020 as of right now before raises, re-signing and letting guys go we have 30.5 million in cap space.  Edler and Boeser will take up a good chunk of that.   But there still will be a good chunk left for EP and Hughes plus plus....pining for EK is ok, same with Panarin, same with Duchene.  That said I appreciate what your saying, spending more for bottom six players isn’t money well spent...good thing their contracts will be up by the time our prospects are ready for those roles right?  

Again, here's where I'm going to make my point.

Getting rid of Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Schaller, and Spooner's contracts is near impossible without giving up something or taking something bad back in return.

Would you not agree these contracts are in the realm of what these guys are worth, give or take a combined $2m either way? Boeser $9M long term, Leivo $2.5M short term, Motte $1.25M, Schenn $1.25M, Hutton $4.5M, Demko $1.5M

That alone is $19.5M.

jFlLEUi.png

Yes, obviously we are not coming back with the exact same guys. But again, for us to really be players for both Panarin/Karlsson, you'd have to clear out all the trash that is those five players I mentioned. We really only have less than $10m in capspace. I'm with you guys, I hope Eriksson retires. I hope they dump Schaller and Spooner. I hope they can move one of Beagle and Sutter. 

But it's not happening. 

27 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well any of the flotsam and jetsam guys, you try to get anything for them, even if it is a 7th rounder.  It is just clearing them out, the return is meaningless.  You can move Sutter, Goldobin, and Granlund easily enough.  The other guys either don’t re-sign, waive or see if they can go in a package with another player.

As for getting a top 6 winger or top 4 D.  I said also as pieces potentially going the other way Virtanen, Tanev, and Hutton are options to look at.  Picks after this year also have to be on the table.

If the goal is simply to remove  players from the team i agree we can do that but we still will have to ice an NHL roster.

Sutter is maybe a 3rd round pick at best although he is injured a lot and that shies teams away from players.

Tanev is another player with the exact problem

Goldobin is done and he will not garner any pick value unless a team wants a long term project player. I will drive him to the airport

Granlund is not a bottom 6 guy and Green doesn't see him as a top 6 guy.  Time to let him go somewhere else and find his game. Good for both parties.

As for the rest of the guys you mentioned id keep, Beagle over Sutter, Leivo over Pearson, Motte over Schaller and Schenn over Pooalot.

Last but not least I would sign Edler without a NTC and trade him at the deadline next season. If he doesn't sign without a NTC id let him walk.

15 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Edler Tanev

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton 

Markstrom

Demko

Just curious here, who does the heavy lifting on that first line? I don't see any of those guys as going into the corner type.

regards,  G.

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Botchford is right in this.  We lack enough high end talent, and we don't have any coming.

We need to clear away the "flotsam and jetsam" as they put it on 1040.

Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, Goldobin, Biega, Spooner, Pouliot are all guys you should try to trade away for picks and prospects... or in packages for better players.  IF none of those guys were on our team next year we should be happy.  They are all easily replaceable.  Virtanen, Hutton, and Tanev could also be moved for higher end young talent,

If you can turn any combination of those guys into a top 6 winger and/or a top 4 RD with a point shot... we are way ahead on the deal.  Our picks after this year should be in play as long as we are getting a young, club controlled guy for the top half of our roster in return.

Add in a couple of the best UFAs who will agree to come here and we actually have a chance to move in the right direction without just praying and hoping all our players have career years, don't get hurt, and our goaltending can be great.

Seriously? Lol

Pettersson, already a capable #1C

Hughes showed he can already be that #1 offensive Dman.

Boeser, 30-40 goal scorer

But there's no skill and none coming?

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Just curious here, who does the heavy lifting on that first line? I don't see any of those guys as going into the corner type.

regards,  G.

Won't have to when they're playing keep away in the offensive zone ::D

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Mine too!  He's the undisputed, yet to be named captain. Who else can ban Fortnite on road trips? 

Please no, let's not throw away our number 1 goalie that we took 5 years to groom.  

I'd have to see some lights out play from Demko next year for us to move on from Marky.  Give me Marky for the next 7 years please.  Goalies take a long long time to mature and play well into their 30s. 

You forgot Motte!!!  Our best defensive player this year and the guy who led us in hits and was amongst the league leaders in that department.  

I bolded the players that I believe are in our future, and with the addition of Motte that's 10 forwards.  I am hopeful that Sven regains his health and puts together a 70 game season.  Zack MacEwen deserves a look next year.  I'm ready to move on from Loui and Granlund, they're just too soft to play against.  

Cheers for the post OP! 

How can I forget Motte!

Baertschi I feel should be traded for a 2nd this year. I like him, but I see him as a Hansen type 3rd line guy, not a 1st liner. I think it's time we moved on from him tbh. 

Zack McEwen is a very intriguing guy to give a shot to next year. Don't sleep on Juolevi either, I think a lot of people are over looking him, especially since we got Hughes

Archived