The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver-New Jersey-Colorado

[proposal] Vancouver-New Jersey-Colorado

Disclaimer:    I do realize that this won't happen in a million years, but here goes:

To New Jersey:   Quinn Hughes

To Colorado:  Nico Hischier

To Vancouver:  Cale Makar

NJ puts the Hughes brothers together, Colorado gets their 2nd line C, while Vancouver improves their weakest position.   

The above proposal likely isn't completely fair value (i.e. one or more sides would likely have to add to sweeten the deal, but these would be the main pieces being moved).

Baertschi-Pettersson-Eriksson

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Makar

Hutton-Tanev

Sautner-Stecher

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 2

NJD would never give up Hischier for Quinn Hughes.  Hischier can play in all situations against any lines, he's not sheltered and has already at times been wearing a letter for them.  He's turning into a legit C1 and has formidable chemistry with Taylor Hall who they wish to retain.  

Colorado has 4th overall and doesn't need to make that trade.  They can use that pick instead - draft or trade rather than weaken themselves on D. 

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Yes, I meant RHD specifically.

We are as weak on the left side than the right side (if you exclude Hughes).  Even, if Edler re-sign, it delays the problem a year or 2 and Juolevi is too much of an unknown at the moment.   IMO it's a lateral move, as our defense needs help everywhere.

Also, I don't know how Benning feels about Makar, but I know how he feels about Hughes..."home run!".  I don't think he does that move even if Colorado or New Jersey add the Canucks way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting. I have a feeling that when all is said and done that Hughes might end up eclipsing Makar, so, personally, I would be fine with the Canucks keeping Hughes. He looked pretty frickin' awesome with Boeser and Petterson in the short time they had.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

First of all Hughes is not considered as good as Makar, so for us it could be a mild improvement.  I’d consider trading Horvat straight up for him, our defense would no longer be an issue, sign Edler on a short term deal, in two years we’d have a great defense.   Horvat is hard to replace .... fortunately this years draft is center heavy...we’d suffer in the short term but come out of it better, another down year wouldn’t hurt us anyways ...

Still not sure id want to do this, one line teams don’t go deep even with a great defense ... NSH with all its power in the back end and goaltending supremacy can’t win because they don’t have enough quality forwards..  

Any way you look at things I just can’t find a better route then the one we are on, that is draft and develop.   We should get a solid if not spectacular guy for the top six this year, likely playing in draft plus two (one more year of minors).  

Next year Hughes and maybe OJ...the following one Madden maybe and maybe this years pick plus one other.  The floodgates are opened we just need to be patient.

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Interesting. I have a feeling that when all is said and done that Hughes might end up eclipsing Makar, so, personally, I would be fine with the Canucks keeping Hughes. He looked pretty frickin' awesome with Boeser and Petterson in the short time they had.

Makar and EP look like the guys to beat in their draft class, which although at the time considered pretty ho hum after Mathews, McDavids years ... but look how many guys are already in the NHL and making an impact...might turn out to be a very good draft after all.   This one has a similar feel, two studs at the top then a pile of probably good but maybe average guys.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal] Vancouver-New Jersey-Colorado

Disclaimer:    I do realize that this won't happen in a million years, but here goes:

To New Jersey:   Quinn Hughes

To Colorado:  Nico Hischier

To Vancouver:  Cale Makar

NJ puts the Hughes brothers together, Colorado gets their 2nd line C, while Vancouver improves their weakest position.   

The above proposal likely isn't completely fair value (i.e. one or more sides would likely have to add to sweeten the deal, but these would be the main pieces being moved).

Baertschi-Pettersson-Eriksson

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Makar

Hutton-Tanev

Sautner-Stecher

You many be on to something.   Each team loses and wins at the same time which is usually a sign of a good deal.

• Thanks 1

I believe Makar and Heiskanen were going to be drafted by Canucks if they weren't already taken by the teams that drafted them.  Your proposal is a good proposal.  I would think the Canucks would have to get something else back since we are giving the opportunity to reunite the Hughes brothers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

First of all Hughes is not considered as good as Makar, so for us it could be a mild improvement.  I’d consider trading Horvat straight up for him, our defense would no longer be an issue, sign Edler on a short term deal, in two years we’d have a great defense.   Horvat is hard to replace .... fortunately this years draft is center heavy...we’d suffer in the short term but come out of it better, another down year wouldn’t hurt us anyways ...

Still not sure id want to do this, one line teams don’t go deep even with a great defense ... NSH with all its power in the back end and goaltending supremacy can’t win because they don’t have enough quality forwards..  

Any way you look at things I just can’t find a better route then the one we are on, that is draft and develop.   We should get a solid if not spectacular guy for the top six this year, likely playing in draft plus two (one more year of minors).  

Next year Hughes and maybe OJ...the following one Madden maybe and maybe this years pick plus one other.  The floodgates are opened we just need to be patient.

Good post.

For me personally though, I wouldn’t be able to stomach the loss of a guy like Horvat.   Not only does Horvat form a terrific 1-2 punch at center with Pettersson, but the leadership and intangibles that Horvat brings to the table is such a huge commodity.    I’d actually be more inclined to move Boeser over Horvat if I hadn’t to choose between this rock and hard place.

2 hours ago, gong_8 said:

I believe Makar and Heiskanen were going to be drafted by Canucks if they weren't already taken by the teams that drafted them.  Your proposal is a good proposal.  I would think the Canucks would have to get something else back since we are giving the opportunity to reunite the Hughes brothers.

So you are thinking the Devils may have to give Vancouver a 3rd or 4th pick as well?

2 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Good post.

For me personally though, I wouldn’t be able to stomach the loss of a guy like Horvat.   Not only does Horvat form a terrific 1-2 punch at center with Pettersson, but the leadership and intangibles that Horvat brings to the table is such a huge commodity.    I’d actually be more inclined to move Boeser over Horvat if I hadn’t to choose between this rock and hard place.

Yet you think that NJD wants to lose those leadership/intangibles by trading Hischier.  He has already been wearing an A for them and represents everything they are trying to build as culture.  

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

6 points in 10 games for Makar in the playoffs. He looked pretty frickin' awesome with them too. Honestly. I think it'd be a lateral move at best. 

Edited by N7Nucks

I think it is a really interesting proposal that makes you think.  But I don't think that Colorado would give up a potential number 1 dman for Hischier.  I think Makar's value is a bit higher at this moment than the other 2.  Just a gut feeling.