The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

7 minutes ago, brownky said:

Especially ones that are about as far from 'relevant' as possible.

If he's demanding the world, Benning is doing exactly the right thing letting him walk. Can't trade a guy who won't wave, but don't have to re-sign him if he's being unrealistic for a player his age and health.

How is it irrelevant? It's literally a comment about what happened. The only irrelevant part was the Tyler Myers part - something that has been heavily rumored by the media mouthpieces (Dhaliwal, Macintyre).

In a vacuum, I agree that it's not a good idea to overpay Edler. But, they gave up a lot of initial leverage by repeatedly stating how badly they want to re-sign him and seeing the other $&!# contracts they've given out. They had to get it done by the TDL to maintain any sort of leverage.

The only thing left for leverage was that Edler likes Vancouver. Just like Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, and the rest of the guys who we have happily overpaid... I'm sure Edler can go love a new city that will pay him what he wants if he can't get it where he currently is.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like Zadorov or Nurse.  Two big boys who can play nasty playoff hockey.  That's what we need.  We have nobody like that right now.  Our D is pillowy soft and would get eaten alive in any 7 game series.  Bring the big Russian back as well.  Time to add some meat and potatoes to our D to complement Hughes and Stecher and Juolevi.  Woo is going to be a beauty as well, Bieksa 2.0.  

Maybe the Big Russian is coming back this summer, and JB (knowing that) is letting Eddy move on?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Or if we don't sign any, they'll be the first people complaining about our sub par D and finishing at the bottom of the standings...:rolleyes:

Is it not fair to criticize this regime about the fact that they haven't signed or traded for a single good defenseman relative to their role/salary since 2014? Our pro scouting hasn't identified ANYONE. 

Edited by Tom Sestito

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It’s been five years and Benning has been able to pluck just one 2nd pairing guy via free agency or trade.  Drafted a potential couple but those guys will need quality vets to develop in the big leagues.

Yeah, shockingly 1st pair D aren't readily available for peanuts... :rolleyes::lol:

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Only way to do it is through trade right now.  We have some assets, there are teams in cap trouble.  Benning needs to figure it out.  All I know is we aren't going anywhere with Edler and Tanev as our first pairing other than more lottery picks.

You're unlikely to do any better than a 2nd pair D via trade without giving up some key assets like EP, Boeser, Hughes or Horvat. And even getting an 'upper' 2nd pair guy is going to be quite the task if not including one of those guys.

So much for your plan to 'replace our first pair'. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah, shockingly 1st pair D aren't readily available for peanuts... :rolleyes::lol:

You're unlikely to do any better than a 2nd pair D via trade without giving up some key assets like EP, Boeser, Hughes or Horvat. And even getting an 'upper' 2nd pair guy is going to be quite the task if not including one of those guys.

Look at what the Oilers paid for Larsen (a #4)....granted, we are talking about the Oilers.:P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Is it not fair to criticize this regime about the fact that they haven't signed or traded for a single good defenseman relative to their role since 2014? Our pro scouting hasn't identified ANYONE. 

You need assets to trade for guys. You need a compelling team to attract top UFA's. Benning has had the luxury of neither. I'm sure they've identified plenty FWIW.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Big Russian is coming back this summer, and JB (knowing that) is letting Eddy move on?

It's a possibility but unless Avto agree it won't happen.  We can always cut them a cheque as their team is in rebuilding mode.  I'm sure they would let Tryamkin out of his contract for the right price.  But we need to plan for him to come next year.  

Benning needs to make a trade, plain and simple.  #1 defencemen don't grow on trees.  You have to give to get.  Zadorov and Nurse would be very attractive young pieces to add this D.  Figure out a way to get them.  With Nurse take on Lucic's contract for example.  With Zadorov Colorado is a young team so you would have to give up some youth and potential.  I'd even offer up Juolevi to get Zadorov.  Same with Nurse.  You have to give to get.  Juolevi is a nice piece but Zadorov or Nurse is what this defence really needs and is missing.

26 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Can't say I'm upset.

Glad to see JB's not going to allow an aging player to cripple this team with another bad contract.

Looks like he's learned some lessons from the past.

Guess Edler didn't want to stay after all. 

Letting Edler go saves us money that could be better spent on another, younger dman.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

I truthfully believe we see something along the lines of Loui + 10th + Hutton? For Lucic + 8th + Nurse. 

JB gives it his all to sign one of Gardiner or Myers, and also gives Woo every chance to make the step up. 

They aren't giving up Nurse.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

So then don't sign one.

It's going to be funny seeing the same people who justify Edler not being re-signed because it's too expensive also justifying the incoming albatross contracts to Myers or Gardiner or Ferland.

You talk about not having an "unjustifiable criticism, and yet people on the other side of the coin are unjustified? Is that how this works here?

I'm sitting on the fence in all of this (although I'm glad we're not having to protect him in a couple of years), but I'm not seeing you as being justified if you can't see the other side as well.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi is a piece we can offer.  Virtanen as well.  For the right player I would offer up Madden as well.  There is a way to do it without adding Petey, Brock, BO or Hughes.  We have other young pieces that other teams would want.  Also taking a bad contract back is another way to do it.  Benning needs to figure it out.  Now is the time as Edler may leave and Tanev's contract is just about up.