The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

17 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Not if they aren't the only ones eating up the PK minutes and the hard defensive zone starts for their perspective teams. They need to be put in a position to not get worn out by mid season. If they're sharing the load, I see it helping. Like I said before though. This is an option to circle back to. Not the first choice, but it's doable if neccessary and would still be an upgrade on what Stetcher or Biega brings to the table.

Lol I don’t think anything is going to change the fact that Tanev and Bogo are two of if not the most injury prone players in the league and the only thing they would be sharing is the press box late in the season as they rehab their season ending ailments. 

49 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Lol I don’t think anything is going to change the fact that Tanev and Bogo are two of if not the most injury prone players in the league and the only thing they would be sharing is the press box late in the season as they rehab their season ending ailments. 

Never mind that shut down/PK is like the only thing they do well. They're not suddenly going to get easier, offensive minutes. They don't have the skill sets to warrant it. So now you have two expensive guys playing 'shared' 3rd pairing shutdown/PK minutes.

That's a bad plan. And that's coming from someone who actually understand the value of players in that role.

Edited by aGENT

I’ve only watched a few Sabres games the last couple years, so I’m asking this question sincerely; upon taking a quick peek at Bogosian’s stats and Ristolainen’s stats from last year I saw that Bogo played 65 games last year and was a -5, and Risto played 78 games and was a -41. 

Obviously stats only tell you so much, and Risto put up way more points, however is Bogo really that much better defensively? Did he maybe just get much easier assignments? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cyoung said:

Would be really nice to add risto

Hughes -  risto

Hutton - tanev

- Stech

Great top 4.. but Eddie leaving leaves a hole on the left side.

Hughes and Risto would make an ok 2nd pair D considering Hughes has barely any xp and Risto is a 2nd pairing.

Hutton is 3rd pairing all the way and tanev and his injuries wont play much

that is not "Great top 4" imo.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I’ve only watched a few Sabres games the last couple years, so I’m asking this question sincerely; upon taking a quick peek at Bogosian’s stats and Ristolainen’s stats from last year I saw that Bogo played 65 games last year and was a -5, and Risto played 78 games and was a -41. 

Obviously stats only tell you so much, and Risto put up way more points, however is Bogo really that much better defensively? Did he maybe just get much easier assignments? 

Risto is not very good defensively.  He is kind of bad that way all over the ice.  He does have excellent offensive skills though.  Defence can be coached.  Offence is more talent.  He’s not worth 10 OA.  Tanev and Gaudette is more than fair.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if this is enough value but if the 10th is in play what about this package

To Vancouver:

Ristolainen

29th or 31st ( forget where Buffalos 2nd 1st is)

2019 2nd

To Buffalo

10th Overall

Goldobin (perhaps hutton)

Christopher Tanev

Maybe overpayment on Buffalos part but it gives them 2 top 10 picks this draft, a good defensive dman ( maybe Tanev can stay healthy out east) & maybe Goldy / Hutton can also flourish out east or in the very least Hutton improves their bottom pairing.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yeah...I  think so....you know.....cuz teams trade GENERATIONAL #1 D MEN all the time.......hahah good god.   :picard:

Let’s see how Dahlin does when Risto is gone, and he’s taking the hardest minutes.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Boeser + 10th Overall for Dahlin?

Would you trade your generational young D man who just got 44 points in his first year in the NHL for a winger?

You would?  Get out -------------------------------------------------------------> DOOR

• Haha 1

Just now, Brocklovich said:

Not sure if this is enough value but if the 10th is in play what about this package

To Vancouver:

Ristolainen

29th or 31st ( forget where Buffalos 2nd 1st is)

2019 2nd

To Buffalo

10th Overall

Goldobin (perhaps hutton)

Christopher Tanev

Maybe overpayment on Buffalos part but it gives them 2 top 10 picks this draft, a good defensive dman ( maybe Tanev can stay healthy out east) & maybe Goldy / Hutton can also flourish out east or in the very least Hutton improves their bottom pairing.

Risto is not worth our 10 OA.  We should sign Jake Gardiner.  He’s a far better player than Risto. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I can. Package it to get the 1OA19.

VAN

1OA19

NJD

10OA19

Demko

if Boeser doesn’t want to sign...

VAN

1OA19

NJD

Boeser

For the 1st overall?

Try

Boeser

Tanev 50% retention

Demko

2019 10th overall

2019 second

[Insert B prospect here]

That gets the phone picked up 

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For the 1st overall?

Try

Boeser

Tanev 50% retention

Demko

2019 10th overall

2019 second

[Insert B prospect here]

That gets the phone picked up 

Agreed that gets the phone picked up.

But that would be just stupid for the Canucks. Gut the team that is just starting to get depth.  God No!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed that gets the phone picked up.

But that would be just stupid for the Canucks. Gut the team that is just starting to get depth.  God No!

Actually for Hughes...

I'd pay it.  I love Boeser and Demko looks great but I'd say they are more expendable if Hughes is coming back.

Losing them plus tanev puts us in Lafreniere conversation next season too.

The only real loss in that is Boeser and Demko.  Is Boeser better than Hughes?  Is Demko a true #1

We fleeced NJ once before and did ok

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd imagine that would only factor in if everything else is equal.  Botterill and the Sabres need to worry more about overall wins right now and less about who will beat them in the playoffs.  Right now the playoffs are a pipe dream for the Sabres.

Well it would help to get more wins by not trading to a team in your division eg Tampa and having the deal backfire.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Actually for Hughes...

I'd pay it.  I love Boeser and Demko looks great but I'd say they are more expendable if Hughes is coming back.

Losing them plus tanev puts us in Lafreniere conversation next season too.

The only real loss in that is Boeser and Demko.  Is Boeser better than Hughes?  Is Demko a true #1

We fleeced NJ once before and did ok

The 10th overall is a big loss and the 2nd is another loss.  Look at what JB has managed to do with 1st and 2nd round picks.

Agree to disagree. No way in hell I do the trade you proposed.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Hughes and Risto would make an ok 2nd pair D considering Hughes has barely any xp and Risto is a 2nd pairing.

Hutton is 3rd pairing all the way and tanev and his injuries wont play much

that is not "Great top 4" imo.

Disagree with the points regarding Risto. Hutton took some great steps last year, I'd be happy with that top 4. 

Ya tanev will be hurt but won't be taking that into account with the projection.