The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

On 8/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, wshdrvvn said:

He could be in the rotation in Utica any time, having been drafted out of Europe. I wonder if this means they feel

he’ll be ready for that after this season. 

Aren't his CHL rights owned by Barrie?

As copied from an article in Canucks Way:

Silovs will likely continue to play and develop in Europe, rather than coming over to North America in 2019-20.  He did not enter the Canadian Hockey League import draft, therefore technically could join the Utica Comets or Kalamazoo Wings —  as he is not bound the CHL/NHL player agreement.

Interesting as I thought he was selected by Barrie in the import draft this year as well.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Stacked up well in his first OHL game by all accounts. 37 saves on 39 shots. 2nd star. And a 6-2 win for Barrie over London.

https://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/24058/boxscore

Is London their usual powerhouse type team? Or weaker than years past? McMichael is a 1st round pick and Stranges is ranked highly for this upcoming draft are the standouts on that roster it seems. 

On 9/22/2019 at 4:24 PM, theo5789 said:

Is London their usual powerhouse type team? Or weaker than years past? McMichael is a 1st round pick and Stranges is ranked highly for this upcoming draft are the standouts on that roster it seems. 

This could be a steal of a pick

• Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, GoldenAlien said:

Silovs had a shootout loss over the weekend, 22 saves on 24 shots, 0.917 SAV%.  Early goings, but he's currently ranked 3rd in the OHL for save percentage (0.933) and 4th for GAA (2.27), among goalies who have played 3 or more games.  Considering this is his first time playing on North American ice, good start for the 6th rounder.  Can see why Benning signed him early

I have always wondered about this.

We drafted him, so no matter what we own his rights for 3 years regardless of if we sign him?

Why would we sign a prospect if he isn't likely to make the roster immediately?

Couldn't you just let them marinate and save a roster spot?

Is it a show of good faith and some cash for the kid?

I'm not trying to knock Arturs, or any of the kids that get signed early, just curious about the thought process.

Thanks for the updates, it's great how well he is doing.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I'm not trying to knock Arturs, or any of the kids that get signed early, just curious about the thought process.

I have a suspicion that Ian Clarke saw something special in him and pushed JB to sign him. As for him coming to play in Canada; the signing may have been a factor; we will probably never know but it is nice to see him doing well. Disappointed that he didn't play last night but at least his team won.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have a suspicion that Ian Clarke saw something special in him and pushed JB to sign him. As for him coming to play in Canada; the signing may have been a factor; we will probably never know but it is nice to see him doing well. Disappointed that he didn't play last night but at least his team won.

But why? We weren't about to lose him.

Maybe he wouldnt have come over, like you say.

Maybe it's about giving the kids the funding to only worry about development?

Do they get that ELC money right away? Or just after they turn pro?

Just curious, certainly not trying to argue or hate on the kid.

17 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

But why? We weren't about to lose him.

Maybe he wouldnt have come over, like you say.

Maybe it's about giving the kids the funding to only worry about development?

Do they get that ELC money right away? Or just after they turn pro?

Just curious, certainly not trying to argue or hate on the kid.

I agree that we were not about to lose him and think it was more a combination of Clarke really liking him, wanting him to come over to play in N.A. and providing him with the capital to do that.

My understanding is that he would receive the signing bonus of 85k right away even though he is playing in juniors and that would have helped him greatly in making the move across the pond.

• Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I agree that we were not about to lose him and think it was more a combination of Clarke really liking him, wanting him to come over to play in N.A. and providing him with the capital to do that.

My understanding is that he would receive the signing bonus of 85k right away even though he is playing in juniors and that would have helped him greatly in making the move across the pond.

Makes sense.  Heck yeah 85k would be huge for these kids.

• Upvote 2