The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the 2019 Draft

Rate this topic

Clock Tower Prison

39 minutes ago, Brovat said:

17pts in 51 games last year. I was hoping for more honestly. 

You should look up the interview on 650 with Trent Cull from Friday... had a lot of really good things to say about Lind and gave some really good context/perspective. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I think the 1st is awarded 2019/20 if the Canucks are in the playoffs, if not it slides to 2020/21. I also heard it's top 5? Protected 

Thanks, I wonder though what if the Canucks struggle over the next couple of seasons and don't make the playoffs. Then the 1st could be fairly high. That would be bad. I think this trade is showing a lot of confidence by management that the Canucks will be contenders in 2 years. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

You should look up the interview on 650 with Trent Cull from Friday... had a lot of really good things to say about Lind and gave some really good context/perspective. 

Like I said up there ^^ somewhere I’m not writing him off. I just wish he was a little further along and ready to make an impact sooner than later. I should of said that in my initial post. Shrug. 

57 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Hopefully Hoglander isn’t another Lind. 

Draft seems par for the course to me. I’m ok with the trade. It isn’t amazing but it’s not bad either. 

Yikes. 1 year of pro and he's bust? It's s*it like this on here that drives me nuts.

17 points in his first year of pro. Absolutely fantastic. He could have put up 0. He's 20. Give the kid some time. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Yikes. 1 year of pro and he's bust? It's s*it like this on here that drives me nuts.

17 points in his first year of pro. Absolutely fantastic. He could have put up 0. He's 20. Give the kid some time. 

No I didn’t use the b word once. 17 points in his year of pro is ok but I was hoping for more. I know he’s 20 and I’m giving him some time. Spastic much?

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks, I wonder though what if the Canucks struggle over the next couple of seasons and don't make the playoffs. Then the 1st could be fairly high. That would be bad. I think this trade is showing a lot of confidence by management that the Canucks will be contenders in 2 years. 

Im worried that this will be OTT 2.0. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Brovat said:

No I didn’t use the b word once. 17 points in his year of pro is ok but I was hoping for more. I know he’s 20 and I’m giving him some time. Spastic much?

When someone says - "hope he's not the next Lind." How is someone going to translate that? It's an a vague statement that is pointing towards that you don't think he's where he should be developmentally. Bust.

And now you're going to start claiming someone is spastic by arguing a point with you? You're cool bro. Congrats.

• Upvote 2

I waited a year for this.:picard:

Sure, it’s too early to judge, but I don’t like this draft at all. I’ve read a lot of posts in the forum and disagree with most of the positive spin being put on this. 

No amount of *ifs and *buts, and all that optimistic wait-and-see speak, is going to change my perception of this draft. I’m fairly disappointed, which sucks because I had been optimistic for a full year, only to see a C+ of a draft in one of the most critical draft years to date. 

Nothing against Leo Komorov 2.0, but there were some skilled D still available. 

At least it’s not a runt pick. For this, I am thankful. 

The rest of the picks seem a mix of replacement parts for the junk currently clogging up the system from previous misses. Of course I’d rather be proven wrong. 

I’m not sure if this was the worst haul of any Canadian club, but for the rebuilders, I’d say it was. The NYR are doing a 180 and they look pretty healthy already. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Worst case we flip him later for two first rounders to a contender at the deadline...isn’t that what Tatar got from Vegas for two years left on his contract?   Don’t see that happening, big difference in the direction the team is going then the tire fire that was OTT that season which dropped them into the worst team in the league.   With Hughes, Pearson and JT Miller on the roster next year playoffs is a distinct possibility.   The following one even more so.   When he’s close to done we can recoup a late first if we don’t think he will re-sign with us and or want to move on as a rental.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Worst case we flip him later for two first rounders to a contender at the deadline...isn’t that what Tatar got from Vegas for two years left on his contract?   Don’t see that happening, big difference in the direction the team is going then the tire fire that was OTT that season which dropped them into the worst team in the league.   With Hughes, Pearson and JT Miller on the roster next year playoffs is a distinct possibility.   The following one even more so.   When he’s close to done we can recoup a late first if we don’t think he will re-sign with us and or want to move on as a rental.   

And the first will likely be between 10 and 20.  Then it’s a guy who plays, if he plays at all, 2024?  Miller is a key piece for us right now, and for the future.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jaku said:

When someone says - "hope he's not the next Lind." How is someone going to translate that? It's an a vague statement that is pointing towards that you don't think he's where he should be developmentally. Bust.

And now you're going to start claiming someone is spastic by arguing a point with you? You're cool bro. Congrats.

He’s not where I want him to be. Yeah I expected a little more from a guy that was supposed to be a late first rounder. Deal with it. 

Sorry I offended you keeper of the prospects. 

1 minute ago, Brovat said:

He’s not where I want him to be. Yeah I expected a little more from a guy that was supposed to be a late first rounder. Deal with it. 

Sorry I offended you keeper of the prospects. 

:lol:

Yeah, you're classy. 

3 hours ago, warrchief said:

But not counting Rafferty, Teves and Eliot as D prospects either? I consider them valuable depth. I think they did a fantastic job with the draft, they have a need for wingers and they addressed it.

Again, it has to do with BPA. Best Player Available > Organizational need. If forwards are higher up on your draft list, then pick em. Plain and simple.

Sorry that comment about D prospects was poorly worded on my part. When I look at the Canucks defence corps that played and will likely play in the NHL in these next 2 years, I see a team that could be on the bubble of making the playoffs and definitely not a cup contender. I'm fond of Edler but he's not a #1 defenceman. Tanev is great when he's healthy but he hasn't played over 55 games in the last 3 seasons. Hutton and Stetcher are a pretty solid second pairing. Hoping they can find another gear and one of them can hit the 30+ point mark this year. Hughes and Joulevi are great but untested in the NHL.

I'm also glad Rafferty, Teves, Eliot, Chatfield and Brisebois are in the system. But their potential in the NHL are still pretty much question marks. I consider having a Jake Bean or Travis Sanheim (of one or two years ago) in the system as depth. A guy who has excelled at the next level and you're confident can step into the NHL and make a splash. Possibly allow you to tinker with your roster. 

Woo still needs a year in junior and likely some time in the AHL, Rathbone another 1-3 years in the NCAA.  

I understand the concept of BPA and it's why I support Podkolzin at 10. That's why I said I was only slightly disappointed that Martin Hugo Has isn't a Canuck. 

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

If things do trend in that direction at least we have the assets to demand a king's ransom to do a proper rebuild. Hate to say it but just imagine the return that Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, Joulevi, Hughes and Podkolzin could get. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

From what I've read the first round pick is only protected in 2020. If the Canucks fail to make the playoffs the pick is moved to 2021 without any protection. So we could very well be giving the Lightning a lottery pick in 2021. Even if the Canucks do make the playoffs that year they could be giving away pick #15-31. Kinda worrying considering that good players can still be found in that range. 

A JT Miller like trade should have happened after Hughes and Joulevi played at least a season in the NHL. 

Edited by Clock Tower Prison

Just now, Jaku said:

:lol:

Yeah, you're classy. 

At least I’m not a baby. I can defend my thoughts on players. I don’t rag on any of them (well except Hutton). 

I also know that Kole is a slow starter whenever he makes a jump in a league so I’m not calling him a bust at all. 

Canucks have enough great prospects simmering. Be nice to see one of the guys that aren’t big names make the jump soon and have an impact. 

3 hours ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

Super weird that Benning feels like untested players at the NHL level in Rafferty, Teves, Eliot, Chatfield and Brisebois counts as depth. 

Super weirder that people are complaining about not taking D in rounds 4-6 who aren't likely to ever get to the level of Rafferty, Teves et al never mind the top 4 D level they're lamenting about not having.

People keep saying they don't have enough prospects etc to be giving away picks etc but they do have a nice base...Woo or someone will surprise this year or next. All winning teams create a solid base through the draft and then fill holes by trading and signing UFAs. I don't see the big deal with trading some draft picks in exchange for support now...given the young core now in place. People should have a little more faith in the young core.

• Upvote 1

I am content with the draft. I think we got a good player in Podkolzin. Seems to also have determination to succeed and good character. I am sure lots of Russians have that, but it seems there is a lack of that being part of their personality. To hear that about Podkolzin is great because I think it fits into this teams culture. I also think it helps promote players like Goldobin and Tryamkin to want to be here long term. 

Second round pick is solid. Smaller player, but we can see with guys in the league it is not a blueprint to succeed that you have to be big. He has good hands, which will help with his size and is strong. I wonder if there are similar characteristics to him and Petrus Palmu. Both strong for their size, even though small. Palmu seems like he will succeed more being a energy, checking type forward however. 

I do not know enough about all the other players, however it seems a lot of them are being sent to college, which I think will be good for their development. Gives us a lot of time to observe them. 

Liked the trade. Miller I think will be a good player for us. While a slight overpayment, I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2