The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

Just now, kanucks25 said:

If we were one Myers away from the Stanley Cup you might have a point.

Unfortunately that isn't anywhere close to being the case.

Felt like I've had this discussion a million times since we traded for Gudbranson. Same thing all over again. "But look he's RH! But look he's big! But look he can skate!"

How would you go about bringing in a right handed top 4 Dman? Who would you target?

16 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I know we already have threads on adding a D-Man feel free to delete this one if its redundant. But Tyler Myers is in town today as the free agency courting period opens! As per Rick D.  Myers was the stud Buffalo traded to Winnipeg in the Evander Kane deal. A former 12th Overall Pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Myers had 31 PTS in 80 GP last season including 9 Goals and 61 PIMs. Myers is 6'8" 229LB. Myers was a stud in Buffalo but was given a lesser role in WPG given their depth. He thrived with Big Buff went down to injury and was asked to play more minutes. He looks like a player who plays better the more he is engaged and plays. He could be a big minute muncher for us if we sign him.

Very cool. Interested to see if we do end up signing him. He is in Vancouver today! Also on Schenn's side of things.

It looks like we are gearing up to compete.

I wonder if Schenn is going to find much interest, given he played less than 20 games for us, the cap is not rising like it has in previous years, and the talent and prospect pools of teams is brimming..    we might be the only suitors to keep him up in the Bigs for at least a solid year for him to make a lasting impression.

regardless I do like his play and how he fit with us..  I hope he can find something better than what we offered,. But chances are his agent will use our offer as minimum leverage.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

How would you go about bringing in a right handed top 4 Dman? Who would you target?

If there's none available right now for the proper price so be it.

When did we become a team that needed to add pieces to make a playoff run? Desperation will lead to regret.

We're still looking for core pieces to base on rebuild around. Those usually don't come from free agency

I understand our D is a tire-fire. Throwing out stupid UFA contracts won't fix that.

16 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Its not all or nothing though, that's the point you are missing. And the fact that Myers doesn't have to be a saviour to be worth it for the Canucks. The Canucks need to get better, especially on defense. Not going from bottom feeder to guaranteed cup champ in one signing isnot the bar they should be getting measured on, neither the Canucks nor Miller, Myers, or anyone else they acquire. 

Incremental improvement in the surrounding cast is important too. 

It all comes down to the contract of course to determine if its worth it. But like JT Miller, there is no viable argument to suggest Myers would not fill a couple of glaring needs on that right side. 

Well said.  Myers isn’t the answer but part of the overall solution.  Each year you work to make your team better.  You look every way you can to make the team better.  To be a Stanley cup champ a lot of things have to go right.  Just look at Tampa who had a roster for the ages and they fell in the first.  All you can control is making your team better each year and Myers does that.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Its not all or nothing though, that's the point you are missing. And the fact that Myers doesn't have to be a saviour to be worth it for the Canucks. The Canucks need to get better, especially on defense. Not going from bottom feeder to guaranteed cup champ in one signing isnot the bar they should be getting measured on, neither the Canucks nor Miller, Myers, or anyone else they acquire. 

Incremental improvement in the surrounding cast is important too. 

It all comes down to the contract of course to determine if its worth it. But like JT Miller, there is no viable argument to suggest Myers would not fill a couple of glaring needs on that right side. 

6-7 million spent on Myers is 6-7 million we can't spend a potential player sometime down the road. He's not a player we can't afford to lose. 

This is why so many people have argued against the UFA contracts Benning his given out in his tenure here. Just because we have a lot of money doesn't mean we should spend it. Open cap space is a very, very valuable asset, look at the way Carolina used it with Marleau and Teravainen.

6-7 million of open cap space > 6-7 x 7 on Myers.

Ultimately we need to keep upgrading.  We go for who makes us better within the confines of their contracts.  My main focus in order would be:

Ristolainen (Trade) - Core

Panarin - Core

Myers - Strong Supporting Cast

Nyquist - Strong Supporting Cast

To me you just run down the list until you have two of these guys.  Then you move out contracts and players (Sutter, Tanev, Hutton, Granlund etc) to fit them in as they are upgrades to our overall team.

i would also consider Puljujarvi or Burakovsky as a lotto ticket but not a core addition.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

6-7 million spent on Myers is 6-7 million we can't spend a potential player sometime down the road. He's not a player we can't afford to lose. 

This is why so many people have argued against the UFA contracts Benning his given out in his tenure here. Just because we have a lot of money doesn't mean we should spend it. Open cap space is a very, very valuable asset, look at the way Carolina used it with Marleau and Teravainen.

I didnt say spendmoney for the sake of it. I said spend money to fill obvious holes and improve the team. Sitting on cap space hoping they will magically take on say Clarkson and be given Colin Miller to do so is a long shot pipe dream. And you don't build teams around long shot odds.

That also depends on the simple supply and demand dynamics though too. That 6-7 mil absolutely needs to be spent on an upgrade to the right side D. What are the other options to compare a Myers signing too?

Plus there is the simple time value. How long do you wait to add a right handed, right side dman to complement the core of the team? 

The Canucks arent going to get a comparable player to Myers by taking on a garbage contract like Marleau's. They might get a decent pick or prospect. Plus, they already have their own garbage contract they need to get rid of. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I know this question was not for me but I don't see that posters posts mostly lol.

I would try to trade for Miller from Vegas, Zaitsev from TO, Faulk from Caro, or Risto from Buffalo.  We need to trade for at least one of those guys and Tanev can be included in the trade if possible.

I would then try to sign Stralman if possible and if not, then Myers (although he will cost so much).

We would then have a D much better than the last few years but it comes at a cost.

I kinda think the best case scenario would be:

Edler   Stralman 

Hughes Risto

Miller would be the cheaper trade though. 

Myers is gonna cost a ton for what seems to be a 4/5 D man. But our predicament is so bad with respect to our D we don't have many choices.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If the canucks are confident that they are going to shed LE though you can essentially get Myers for close to the same money and have almost identical cap space. 

The Canucks with Myers in the mix rather than LE are much better imo and he turns into an easy trade chip for a good prospect or first should you want to move him in 2 or 3 years when OJ or Woo are pushing top 4 roster spots or just keep him when Edler's 6m comes off the books. 

Either way this pickup would be a win i think. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LarsEller said:

If the canucks are confident that they are going to shed LE though you can essentially get Myers for close to the same money and have almost identical cap space. 

The Canucks with Myers in the mix rather than LE are much better imo and he turns into an easy trade chip for a good prospect or first should you want to move him in 2 or 3 years when OJ or Woo are pushing top 4 roster spots or just keep him when Edler's 6m comes off the books. 

That is a great way of thinking about it. 

11 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

I didnt say spendmoney for the sake of it. I said spend money to fill obvious holes and improve the team. Sitting on cap space hoping they will magically take on say Clarkson and be given Colin Miller to do so is a long shot pipe dream. And you don't build teams around long shot odds.

That also depends on the simple supply and demand dynamics though too. That 6-7 mil absolutely needs to be spent on an upgrade to the right side D. What are the other options to compare a Myers signing too?

Plus there is the simple time value. How long do you wait to add a right handed, right side dman to complement the core of the team? 

The Canucks arent going to get a comparable player to Myers by taking on a garbage contract like Marleau's. They might get a decent pick or prospect. Plus, they already have their own garbage contract they need to get rid of. 

It's funny how people in favor of this management's "plan" preach patience when detractors point to our record/results under their tenure but then supporters also defend the idea of rebuilding through unrestricted free agency? Baffling.

Yes our defence needs to be fixed. No, we don't have to do it this summer. Yes, we can afford to wait for something better than Tyler Myers. Yes, it's worth the risk of losing Tyler freaking Myers.

7 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

How on earth do we give up the remainder of the contract for the carcass that is Loui Eriksson without taking back cap or giving away a significant piece(s) in return?

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

It's funny how people in favor of this management's "plan" preach patience when detractors point to our record/results under their tenure but then supporters also defend the idea of rebuilding through unrestricted free agency? Baffling.

Yes our defence needs to be fixed. No, we don't have to do it this summer. Yes, we can afford to wait for something better than Tyler Myers. Yes, it's worth the risk of losing Tyler freaking Myers.

How on earth do we give up the remainder of the contract for the carcass that is Loui Eriksson without taking back cap or giving away a significant piece(s) in return?

What are you even talking about? I haven't given the slightest indication that my opinions are based on some blind following of Benning and Canucks management. You are just running out of viable arguments so you seem to be trying to make me choke on the neverending straw from your constant strawman arguments. 

And as for the defense, yes we do have to do something about it this summer. Its called making forward progress as a team, maybe you have heard of it. 

You would rather we do nothing than sign Myers? Thats stupid.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1

How exactly are we going to get Risto from Buffalo?  Do people think Buffalo are going to accept our garbage for him?  Myers can be had for free other than cap space.  Risto is going to cost a lot of assets that we can't afford to give up.  Myers at 6x6 is not a bad contract.  He's only 29.  He's 4 years younger than Edler who just re-signed for an additional 2 years.  Myers can be moved at age 31 or 32 if need be barring a serious injury.  He's not Loui Eriksson.  He's big and can eat up big minutes.  Edler will be gone in 2 years and so will his $6 million cap hit, so there is room for Myers on this team, even long term.  If Tryamkin comes back he can play the left side and we have 2 huge defencemen who can play together shorthanded or when we are defending a lead.

I'm not over the moon over a Myers signing but at the end of the day our options are limited and I don't want to see another year of Edler  Tanev as our #1 pairing and then watching Hutton and Stecher take over the big minutes when Edler and Tanev are out injured for 20-30 games.

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Quite a lot if speculation that he wont be returning this fall by way of mutual termination. Ie he gets his last bonus in July and then only is leaving about 1m x 2 to be paid out and goes back off to retirement. Rather than playing out the last 2 years of his deal in the minors he can do what he wants. 

7 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

You would rather we do nothing than sign Myers? Thats stupid.

Why is it stupid to make no moves instead of a stupid move lol? We will improve naturally due to our young players getting better. We are simply not in a position to throw assets/money at fixes that are not ideal, there's just no point.

5 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Quite a lot if speculation that he wont be returning this fall by way of mutual termination. Ie he gets his last bonus in July and then only is leaving about 1m x 2 to be paid out and goes back off to retirement. Rather than playing out the last 2 years of his deal in the minors he can do what he wants. 

I'll believe it when I see it. And, even if Eriksson's cap is magically off the books, I still wouldn't sign Myers. It's a bad idea regardless of how much cap space we have. He is simply not good enough to be a core player when this team is ready to compete. 

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Why is it stupid to make no moves instead of a stupid move lol? We will improve naturally due to our young players getting better. We are simply not in a position to throw assets/money at fixes that are not ideal, there's just no point.

I'll believe it when I see it. And, even if Eriksson's cap is magically off the books, I still wouldn't sign Myers. It's a bad idea regardless of how much cap space we have. He is simply not good enough to be a core player when this team is ready to compete. 

I mean your opinion is that he isn't good enough, in my opinion he immidiately becomes our best RD. Spending 6ish on a top 4 dman is pretty standard across the league. If he is passed by the pieces coming up in 2 years there are no shortage of teams looking for a top 4 dman and its easy money to get off the books.

Plus those pieces are on elc's and wont be due for more salary right away, and on top of that edler's contract is off in 2 years. All around the canucks can easily take this contract on without any real negative blow back. There also is not much else to spend the salary space on anyways that we need. We aren't getting Panarin and we already have more wingers than we need. There are no better Dmen available for free. Any trades for anyone better are going to cost a first, and a top prospect bare minimum. 

You could say by spending the cap space you are essentially saving yourself the first or prospect you would get back on a cap dump anyways. Weaponize that cap space by signing a Free Agent and keeping your own picks and prospects. 

Edited by LarsEller
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

You are completely missing the point. 

You don't have any verifiable evidence to support your "conclusions". You have your biases, assumptions, and impressions, which are not facts as you seem to believe.

There is no such thing as ideal by the way. Because there are many factors that go into any personnel decision, and some are not controlled by Benning or the Canucks. They have to react to the market as well and make decisions based on their plan and the availability of options. 

The Canucks are absolutely at the point where they should be upgrading their defense. As it stands, Myers would likely be a significant upgrade on our current D. If the contract makes sense, then thats a move Benning will make.