The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers sign Artemi Panarin

Panarin is good, but he's not second highest cap hit in the league good. Glad that wasn't us signing him to that contract.

Rangers look to be accelerating their rebuild, could end up being a mistake but we'll see. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Panarin is good, but he's not second highest cap hit in the league good. Glad that wasn't us signing him to that contract.

Rangers look to be accelerating their rebuild, could end up being a mistake but we'll see. 

Oh it's the Rangers will definitely be a mistake

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

None of their Centers are projecting to be elite 1C's..I'd say that they are pretty underwhelming as far as picks go..Rangers look very strong on the wings, and no elite prospects on D either...

Quickest rebuild ever?...I'm not convinced..I think they should have given themselves at least another year or two getting high lottery picks..but thats just my 2 cents.

Ziba put up 70 points without any elite D on the back end and his best winger through the year was Kreider, he also plays heavy minutes on both pp and pk and takes a ton of draws and has a high FoW %...not really sure what your criteria is for elite centers, but I'm sure majority of teams don't meet it lol.

They just added Trouba to their D, just entering his prime and while yes, he may not be an elite puck mover who can put up 50+ points every year, he's a great two way D who plays a physical game who can easily hit 40+ points QB'ing a PP, plus they added Fox who had 4 more goals and 15 more points then Hughes had in College (1 year his senior, in Fox's 2nd year of college he put up pretty much same numbers Hughes did) Fox would be in a lot of team's top 3 for prospects.

Plus they have Shestyrokin, top 5, if not 3, prospect goalie in the world (look at rankings) who has played against men for the past 3 years in KHL and put up great numbers.

53 minutes ago, Quinn_Jet said:

Ziba put up 70 points without any elite D on the back end and his best winger through the year was Kreider, he also plays heavy minutes on both pp and pk and takes a ton of draws and has a high FoW %...not really sure what your criteria is for elite centers, but I'm sure majority of teams don't meet it lol.

They just added Trouba to their D, just entering his prime and while yes, he may not be an elite puck mover who can put up 50+ points every year, he's a great two way D who plays a physical game who can easily hit 40+ points QB'ing a PP, plus they added Fox who had 4 more goals and 15 more points then Hughes had in College (1 year his senior, in Fox's 2nd year of college he put up pretty much same numbers Hughes did) Fox would be in a lot of team's top 3 for prospects.

Plus they have Shestyrokin, top 5, if not 3, prospect goalie in the world (look at rankings) who has played against men for the past 3 years in KHL and put up great numbers.

They have done well with trades and signings, and had a player gifted to them (Kakko)..I dont think they've really hit any home runs with their drafting.

So,where do you see them finishing this season?..Rebuild looks over to me.

Rangers are doing a lightning quick rebuild via free agency and trades.

Have to admit I am impressed with their moves so far.

They also lucked out with the draft pick... but they are taking advantage.

Rangers also have the big advantage that every European player loves playing in the Big Apple.... its a dream for a young hockey player who wants to enjoy life... and a quick flight to Europe to visit the relatives is easy... its actually possible to go back on a long weekend.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:37 PM, Honky Cat said:

They have done well with trades and signings, and had a player gifted to them (Kakko)..I dont think they've really hit any home runs with their drafting.

So,where do you see them finishing this season?..Rebuild looks over to me.

Shestyrokin I feel is their main home run with drafting.

Chytil and Lias Andersson are still up for debate, both have a lot of potential, I feel like one of them will break through and be a high end top 2 center. Outside of that, yeah, no home runs outside of Kakko. They've done very well on acquiring young talent over the last couple of years though. They've joined a long list of NHL teams in fleecing Ottawa, that Ziba trade is looking horrible. Trouba for a low 1st and a fringe top 4 D was also great. Getting a top prospect in Fox for essentially peanuts was quite the coup. Panarin for free (outside of cap) is icing on the cake.

Honestly, I don't think they make the playoffs next year, not quite there and lot of new players will need time to build chemistry plus rookies/young players more adjustment time to NHL. Bos/Wsh/Tor/Fla/Car/TBL would be hard to see Rags finish ahead of any of those teams, so will be fighting against Mtl/Isle/Phi/Pit for wild card spot.

I think Canucks and Rags take the same step next year, good playoff push, but finish just outside the playoffs and following year make the show.

2023 Canucks-Rangers SCF! lol

Edited by Quinn_Jet

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Rangers trade a first and a decent young d-man for Trouba and throw 7 years nearly 82mil at a winger 3 years into a rebuild nobody bats an eye. Canucks trade a 1st, potentially 2 years from now, for a 26 year old top 6 Center/winger after 5 years of sucking and Canuck fans lose their minds.

If you can’t tell the difference between trouba and panarin vs Myers and milller you might want to open your eyes. lol. If Canucks could have landed those two players there would be cheering on the streets here. 

Also rangers have had as many top 90 picks in the last 3 years than canucks have in the last 5 years combined. They made 6 first round picks in three seasons. JB’s made 7 in his 6 years he’s been here. 

In the last 3 months rangers added fox, kakko, trouba, and panarin.  I think it’s safe to say there rebuild was isn’t anywhere near comparable to ours. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If you can’t tell the difference between trouba and panarin vs Myers and milller you might want to open your eyes. lol. If Canucks could have landed those two players there would be cheering on the streets here. 

Also rangers have had as many top 90 picks in the last 3 years than canucks have in the last 5 years combined. They made 6 first round picks in three seasons. JB’s made 7 in his 6 years he’s been here. 

In the last 3 months rangers added fox, kakko, trouba, and panarin.  I think it’s safe to say there rebuild was isn’t anywhere near comparable to ours. 

Meyers and Miller cost the same as Panarin alone. Lol. That first we gave up for Miller will likely be the same as the first they gave up for Trouba. Lol. They just began their rebuild and are trading picks and signing big name free agents. Lol. The point I was making that rebuilds aren't just through the draft. Lol. And people shouldn't expect Vancouver to never sign free agents or trade picks. Lol. If you can't see that you should open your eyes. Lol.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Rangers trade a first and a decent young d-man for Trouba and throw 7 years nearly 82mil at a winger 3 years into a rebuild nobody bats an eye. Canucks trade a 1st, potentially 2 years from now, for a 26 year old top 6 Center/winger after 5 years of sucking and Canuck fans lose their minds.

Seriously?

For one, Rangers knew exactly what they were giving up - 20th overall in 2019. And they got a bonafide top-line stud RD, one of the most valuable pieces in hockey. Pionk is decent, but he was a college FA they picked up for free, which the Rangers do often.

We don't know what we're giving up. Our last 3 picks were 10th, 7th, 5th, and 5th overall. What if it doesn't come together, or injuries kill us again, or the goaltending fails...and it's a top-10 pick? Would you be happy if we traded Podkolzin or Hughes for Miller? That might be the level of player that we end up giving up.

And for that risk, we got a 3rd line forward. Sure, he was a 3rd liner on a deep team, and is probably a top-6 player on almost every other team...but still, he was unable to seize a spot in the top-6 in Tampa. Whereas the Jets had the deepest collection of RD in the league, and yet Trouba still rose to the top of it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Meyers and Miller cost the same as Panarin alone. Lol.

So Panarin out produced both of them combines. And what does that have to do with another.  Panarin cost around the same as eriksson as eriksson and Sutter. His still more valuable. 

That first we gave up for Miller will likely be the same as the first they gave up for Trouba. Lol. 

You’re right it was an extra draft pick the already obtained. Like is said. That would have been there 7th, 1st round pick they made in the last 3 years. The same number JB’s made in his entire rebuild. 

They just began their rebuild and are trading picks and signing big name free agents. Lol.

Because there are were way ahead of our timeline due to the extra assets they started with. They were able to fill the cupboards much quicker with as high of quality of players much faster than we were able to. It also helps that they embraced the rebuild faster whichever save them a few years in the process.  Canucks rebuild was not the bar for timeline on how long it takes to rebuild. So it’s not shocking to see other teams have a different quicker path.

The point I was making that rebuilds aren't just through the draft. Lol. And people shouldn't expect Vancouver to never sign free agents or trade picks. Lol. If you can't see that you should open your eyes. Lol.

rangers were able to trade picks because they were able to obtain extra picks. They filled there cupboards up and used the excess to fill areas of need. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Kudos to the Rangers for their rebuild plan..However, Trouba, Panarin and Fox wanted to play in NYC (is that great GM'ing,or just down to the fact, that it's one of the greatest cities in the world?)...The Canucks (and probably 80% of the other teams were not even a consideration for Trouba or Panarin).

Winning the lottery helps (is that great GM'ing though?)

As I've discussed with another poster,I think that they have whiffed on a few of their top picks, and appear to be heading to being a team that's too good to get a high lottery pick, and not good enough to be a SC contender.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Kudos to the Rangers for their rebuild plan..However, Trouba, Panarin and Fox wanted to play in NYC (is that great GM'ing,or just down to the fact, that it's one of the greatest cities in the world?)...The Canucks (and probably 80% of the other teams were not even a consideration for Trouba or Panarin).

Winning the lottery helps (is that great GM'ing though?)

As I've discussed with another poster,I think that they have whiffed on a few of their top picks, and appear to be heading to being a team that's too good to get a high lottery pick, and not good enough to be a SC contender.

I didn’t claim any of those moves were all done by great GMing. Just stated the fact that it’s dumb to compare our rebuild to theirs. Two different start points, two different situations, two different owner focuses. 

• Upvote 3

I will admit i was wrong about Panarin going to florida. After all the players they have moved around that last 2 years i expected Artemi to sign aswell as Bobrovski.

Fla top 9 would look like a mix of

Dadonov Barkov Panarin

Hoffman Huberdeau Vatrano

Acciari Trocheck Borgstrom

Instead they got Connolly, Stralman and Bobrovski.(better overall)

Terrible signing, Rangers fans will end up burning his jersey. He"s #2 in salary and will likely end up 15-25th in points standings a year. I was a Panarin fan even when he was with Chicago(barf) i lost a lot of respect/fandom as this signing is all about money, when are the rangers competing for a cup next?

Edited by GhostsOf1994

Panarin is 2nd in the league in salary but just wait a year or two.  I think we'll start seeing $12 and $13 mil deals being splashed around more and more, especially if the new TV contract money comes in to the NHL.  I think cap will go up quite a bit. 

In any case, I expect the Rangers to miss the playoffs next year as it takes a year or two to shake off that loser mindset, but they'll be great in a couple of years. 

49 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Just hearing this here on how Luongo's retirement and Spooner's buyout cost Florida a chance to sign Panarin!::D

Might have been a bit of a stretch but funny nonetheless. For all we know Panarin had his mind set on New York the whole time.

Glad Tallon didn’t get Panarin either way though. I thought he would have helped us out by putting Lu on LTIR or at least trading him back to us so we could do it. So much for helping out the team that drafted him.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Panarin is 2nd in the league in salary but just wait a year or two.  I think we'll start seeing $12 and $13 mil deals being splashed around more and more, especially if the new TV contract money comes in to the NHL.  I think cap will go up quite a bit. 

In any case, I expect the Rangers to miss the playoffs next year as it takes a year or two to shake off that loser mindset, but they'll be great in a couple of years. 

poor mcdavid ... under paid? lol