The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers sign Artemi Panarin

Panarin at almost $12 million.

Trouba via Arbitration at 50 points will be north of $7 million.  They'll want to lock him up as long as possible unless he fights them on term/cap in which case he might even be another year by year contract

For the upcoming season without re-signing Trouba they have just around $8 million in cap space give or take a million or two with a 20 man roster as it sits today.  As of the end of next season they have a projected $28 million with a 12 man roster.

Rangers jumped the gun here with one big signing, one potential big signing in Trouba and a lottery win.  The hopes of Raddysh, Kravstov, Andersson and now Kakko all becoming NHL players that live up to their pedigree is going to be a watch and a half over the next 3-4 years.  Added the goaltending situation is far from secure as well.

DeAngelo will be deserving a raise, at .5 pig this year, as will a few other players.

I find it hard people can consider landing two huge names on or around free agency then hamstringing your team to them a win.  See Drury/Gomez/Redden (redden being a sense issue first) and know that the Rags cannot help themselves and commit frequently to this exact same issue they're potentially landing themselves in.

If I am a fan I am looking more favourably at the Canucks moving forward for having skilled depth and cap space than I am the Rangers over the next 5 years

• 6 months later...

What an absolute beast Panarin is! Up to 3rd in nhl scoring now with 67 points. I knew the canucks had no shot at him and was mad he went to the rangers instead of the islanders. The islanders would be cup contenders with him as they need more offense. He's a legit hart trophy candidate. 

Edited by FireGillis
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

37 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

What an absolute beast Panarin is! Up to 3rd in nhl scoring now with 67 points. I knew the canucks had no shot at him and was mad he went to the rangers instead of the islanders. The islanders would be cup contenders with him as they need more offense. He's a legit hart trophy candidate. 

Wanted him to go to the Isles as well. However, considering the coaching style there, his offence would have been stifled, which may not have been in his best interest. Also, while I love the Isles, I think the Rangers future is brighter long term than the Isles is. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

Wanted him to go to the Isles as well. However, considering the coaching style there, his offence would have been stifled, which may not have been on his best interest. Also, while I love the Isles, I think the Rangers future is brighter long term than the Isles is. 

True. Sometimes it's hard to tell how much of the isles lack of offense is due to their talent or the system they play. 

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Wanted him to go to the Isles as well. However, considering the coaching style there, his offence would have been stifled, which may not have been in his best interest. Also, while I love the Isles, I think the Rangers future is brighter long term than the Isles is. 

I think he would sort of be a Gaborik back in the Minni trap days. So maybe the offense would be stifled a bit, but he would be the driver of the offense almost solely and he's shown that he's capable of it.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, Caboose said:

Most of the comments in here certainly aged like milk.

Hahaha well put 

He's been worth every penny in year 1 of his contract.  Dude was improving his strength and conditioning this summer while most NHLers were relaxing lakeside. 

The only fair argument is that he might've been signed one or two years too early for their window, however a chance to get a guy like him without giving up any assets only comes around once a decade.  

I campaigned for Panarin so hard!

No, we probably  would not have been this good, this year.  Not just because of Miller? He's been great! Better than I expected. But because an imperfect, I agree, Myers is still a slick, fast, 6'8'' defenceman. He makes mistakes. But we're absolutely better anyway. He also makes plays. He is also 220 lbs.

Think two years & four years ago having Bartkowski, Weber, Philip Larsen, Phillip Holm... When we had sh!t to sign 2knd or 3rd pair D men?

It would have been worth it. With Patty Kane & Kucherov, Panarin is speeeeed like Hughes,personified. With electric agility, as wicked a sniper, dangler as exists on the wing anywhere in the planet.. I can just imagine the breakouts with Hughes, Petey & Panarin.  Oooucch!

I get shivers.

Not sure how we would have gooten the size and speed we needed on D? Tryamkin? Probably would need better... Wait for Juolevi, a new draft pick?

Rogers would have been a raccetrack like we never, have ever seen. Bure never was not gifted a centre like Petey, a D like Hughes...

It would have been ridiculous.

Three guys who can handle, and dangle, trade saucers & one timers at that pace? :shock:

This was a great signing, Panarin is absolutely one of the top players in the league and he is proving it this season on a new team. The Rangers thought they had shortened and were stepping out of their rebuild. But not this year, may be next or the year after. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Drakrami said:

This was a great signing, Panarin is absolutely one of the top players in the league and he is proving it this season on a new team. The Rangers thought they had shortened and were stepping out of their rebuild. But not this year, may be next or the year after. 

Panarin is an absolute beauty.

As for the Rangers, the chances are slim as they’re 9 points out of a wildcard spot, but if they pull a 2015 Senators and run the table in their last 28 games, they could still make it in. They’ve got the talent.

And based on their recent play, I can see why the talk of extending Kreider has picked up. Losing him would set them back.