The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boomer Goes OFF (Discussion )

Rate this topic

vannuck59

I remember in highschool we called Jeff Francis Boomer, the former MLB pitcher, yes I name dropped that :P. 

Seriously though, what the eff is NHL XM and who TF listens to it? 

Guess the guy is losing ratings and hoping some Canadian provocation will give him a boost? Who TF cares.

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

As a fan of 50 years I was disappointed as well as shocked at his comments on us as fans and  the Canucks  team.

thank fully, we are better than that, we just pick out certain players, coaches, managers and fans to hate.  give us a gold star. 

• Cheers 1

I listened to it, it was pretty clueless. Boomer has a good knowledge of about half the teams in the league, Vancouver is not one of them. His main point is we need about 25 more goals and he can't see where it's going to come from. As if Miller and Ferland together will get less than 25?

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

thank fully, we are better than that, we just pick out certain players, coaches, managers and fans to hate.  give us a gold star. 

Yep.  LE is crucified on these boards for answersing innocuous question honestly in his home country.   Maybe stepped on some toes but never criticized the team or his teammates or the city or fans - hows he’s going to score 40-50 points playing 14 mins primarily on the third or fourth line in the defensive zone against first and second lines and the P.K.?  Pearson Horvat LE was hot at the end and he was part of that.   A big disappointment for sure and a lot of that’s on him...paid to be an impact on the scoreboard too but hasn’t delivered.   Three more years - virtually untradeable without giving something up or taking a different type of hit.  Think he deserves a chance at least for redemption. After that period if he’s given an honest shake and still can’t cut it the so be it - send him to Utica.   It will be interesting to see what he does, he’s capable of bouncing back (it’s not like he’s a geriatric)...the best scenario is that he does. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

I listened to it, it was pretty clueless. Boomer has a good knowledge of about half the teams in the league, Vancouver is not one of them. His main point is we need about 25 more goals and he can't see where it's going to come from. As if Miller and Ferland together will get less than 25?

Don’t forget to take away he goals that whomever normally has that spot get...so if it’s 12-15 they both need to score 25 or so to get those extra goals ...it will definitely come by committee - Myers alone is probably worth 5.

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  LE is crucified on these boards for answersing innocuous question honestly in his home country.   Maybe stepped on some toes but never criticized the team or his teammates or the city or fans - hows he’s going to score 40-50 points playing 14 mins primarily on the third or fourth line in the defensive zone against first and second lines and the P.K.?  Pearson Horvat LE was hot at the end and he was part of that.   A big disappointment for sure and a lot of that’s on him...paid to be an impact on the scoreboard too but hasn’t delivered.   Three more years - virtually untradeable without giving something up or taking a different type of hit.  Think he deserves a chance at least for redemption. After that period if he’s given an honest shake and still can’t cut it the so be it - send him to Utica.   It will be interesting to see what he does, he’s capable of bouncing back (it’s not like he’s a geriatric)...the best scenario is that he does. 

i don’t disagree with how the fans feel, we all do to some degree, but i hate how fans can decide a player’s future. that should be up to the player, coaches and management. sometimes i think we are getting to be more like leaf fans. good luck louie. the ball is in your court. 

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don’t forget to take away he goals that whomever normally has that spot get...so if it’s 12-15 they both need to score 25 or so to get those extra goals ...it will definitely come by committee - Myers alone is probably worth 5.

Well if we just let in less goals against, which we will, then less scoring we need but Ferland and Miller should be good for 40 plus between them, yep Myers at least 5, Hughes 5-10, Benn 5, so no problems anyway.. and not even counting if Pearson will continue on his tear from last season. This will be a fun season to watch for a change.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well if we just let in less goals against, which we will, then less scoring we need but Ferland and Miller should be good for 40 plus between them, yep Myers at least 5, Hughes 5-10, Benn 5, so no problems anyway.. and not even counting if Pearson will continue on his tear from last season. This will be a fun season to watch for a change.

Absolutely.  I made the prediction we’d score 35-40 more goals with this lineup and let in 15 less.  That sort of differential is enough to get us a wild card spot, maybe even a top three spot if all thing go well and the adjustment period is short.  Miller and Ferland should be good for 40 goals, but the guys that were playing those spots (top line and second line) last year were also good for 15 a piece too....that’s plus 10. I’m also expecting Boeser and EP to add  15 goals between them, and another 10 goals from the defense (Hughes and Myers) after deductions (Guddy and Hutton) ... that’s how I got to 35 goals..figure between the rest we’d add five more.   Hughes should add offense and Myers too from the blue line which will help everyone’s numbers to a degrees.   A full year of healthy Sutter (he’s doing Pilates ha ha) should help with goals against - and if he can score more then 10 it’s a bonus.   In the end something like 250-260 for - and 240 against.    The thing about last year is we weren’t blown out much and lost a lot of close games, a goal or two here and there equals an OT win or loss plus the odd extra win too.  Also think our OT team will be a tough nut to crack..EP looks like a completely different person then the one that started on the team last year - much stronger and bigger.  Whatever he did this summer I’m sure is going to help us have a strong start (like usual).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

I’ve said this a few times lately, but the best thing that can happen is the team kills it this year and rams it down the negative / ignorant media / fans throats!!!

To: Negative Media / Fans.

A giant f u!!! 

That would be great.  My prediction is we will make the playoffs and win some games too.   One media member for THN recently picked us for the next team to win a cup that hasn’t yet - Larkin - so no everyone is sleeping on us but most are (Button isn’t either).   Even if we do that the media will still not take us seriously yet - but will start coming around.  Bet it would take two years making it before they don’t think of it as a fluke.   Then again that could change if EP becomes the top five Center NHL.com recently said he’s capable of doing.   The Oilers were considered a contender after the made the playoffs the last time with McJesus - once they get behind EP the same way the hero worship should take over and we will get noticed and more props will come pouring in.   Who really knows - St Louis won and Horvat/O’Reilly match up pretty well at the same age - Boeser/Tarasenko ....EP/ nobody etc  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That would be great.  My prediction is we will make the playoffs and win some games too.   One media member for THN recently picked us for the next team to win a cup that hasn’t yet - Larkin - so no everyone is sleeping on us but most are (Button isn’t either).   Even if we do that the media will still not take us seriously yet - but will start coming around.  Bet it would take two years making it before they don’t think of it as a fluke.   Then again that could change if EP becomes the top five Center NHL.com recently said he’s capable of doing.   The Oilers were considered a contender after the made the playoffs the last time with McJesus - once they get behind EP the same way the hero worship should take over and we will get noticed and more props will come pouring in.   Who really knows - St Louis won and Horvat/O’Reilly match up pretty well at the same age - Boeser/Tarasenko ....EP/ nobody etc  

Totally agree! It may take some time, but hopefully it’s a step in the right direction. I’ve been following this team (hockey) for over 30 years and the negativity / ignorance the last few years is beyond exhausting!! People can’t even enjoy the few good things that have already started happening. I enjoy Button...knowledgeable and gives a good / unbiased assessment, unlike others that just have a negative agenda. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IRR said:

Totally agree! It may take some time, but hopefully it’s a step in the right direction. I’ve been following this team (hockey) for over 30 years and the negativity / ignorance the last few years is beyond exhausting!! People can’t even enjoy the few good things that have already started happening. I enjoy Button...knowledgeable and gives a good / unbiased assessment, unlike others that just have a negative agenda. 

Real fan since  the late eighties, thanks to my Uncle and Grandma, was alive for all their cup runs but the Oilers dynasty was too dazzling not to get wrapped into when in school...still liked the Canucks  and thought Broduer was the bomb - / have a full sticker book still from their cup run (one of my proudest achievements in grade four) before that I also thought Bobby Clark had  the best hair in hockey when I was a child - so was a Philly fan before anything ha ha ...

Yep things get negative - lately as bad as the Keenan era although that hurt a lot more ... once the winning starts again it should calm down..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IRR said:

I’ve said this a few times lately, but the best thing that can happen is the team kills it this year and rams it down the negative / ignorant media / fans throats!!!

To: Negative Media / Fans.

A giant f u!!! 

Well finally the Sedin problem got solved, too bad it wasn't done while they were here. Someone "Ferland" to put with them who can fight and snipe. Been too long coming but finally here, however the Sedin's now (Petey and Brock) finally have it.

I'd do a much bolder prediction for scoring for that line but not going overboard here "yet" but it's not going to be pretty for opp teams. If they get shut down by the best line of another team then we have Bo JT and Pearson which can sting other teams and help us win, now if we can just stay healthy within reason for a change..

In retrospect seeing Ferland with the real twins would have been something amazing to watch..

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Real fan since  the late eighties, thanks to my Uncle and Grandma, was alive for all their cup runs but the Oilers dynasty was too dazzling not to get wrapped into when in school...still liked the Canucks  and thought Broduer was the bomb - / have a full sticker book still from their cup run (one of my proudest achievements in grade four) before that I also thought Bobby Clark had  the best hair in hockey when I was a child - so was a Philly fan before anything ha ha ...

Yep things get negative - lately as bad as the Keenan era although that hurt a lot more ... once the winning starts again it should calm down..

Yeah that shuts up people faster than anything and it will happen.. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Well finally the Sedin problem got solved, too bad it wasn't done while they were here. Someone "Ferland" to put with them who can fight and snipe. Been too long coming but finally here, however the Sedin's now (Petey and Brock) finally have it.

I'd do a much bolder prediction for scoring for that line but not going overboard here "yet" but it's not going to be pretty for opp teams. If they get shut down by the best line of another team then we have Bo JT and Pearson which can sting other teams and help us win, now if we can just stay healthy within reason for a change..

In retrospect seeing Ferland with the real twins would have been something amazing to watch..

When they started hockey was still rough and tumble, enforcers still had a role ... dead puck era not exactly and easy time for anyone as hooking and grabbing and holding on was part of the game.  As a result they defended their selves to a certain degree - wonder how many slashing penalties they received over 1300 or so games?  

That said I get what your saying - but they were almost impossible to find a suitable 3rd player for their lineup.  Revolving door and then one year of Carter (why the heck didn’t we keep him anyways?) and eventually Burrows - no Ferland but a premier agitator nonetheless (ask P Sullivan the guy hates him so much it’s hilarious).   Yep Ferland would’ve been nice to have - no way Marchand would still have his teeth ... the Prust trade was worth it just to see his nards get the lumber.   

Benning definitely has taken notice - of his superstar player shriveling up after too much attention and abuse - Ferland knows he’s not going to keep his job for long on their wing if he doesn’t make it very difficult for opposing players to take advantage.  By the recent pics it looks like EP has hit the gym and doesn’t want to put up with it either.   Ten goals his first ten games 1.3 PPG two months in...playing with NG.  Wow just wow.   NG got all of 4 points once he was demoted (20ish games) and was a PPG at that point.   Ferland better be ready to punch the crap out of anyone who messes with him or fans (including me) will be seriously disappointed.