The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

One thing I noticed during the preseason is the amount of odd man rushes going against the Canucks....if the "D" are going to carry the puck and rush more often, then one of the forwards have to cover for them  as early as them leaving the "D" zone on the rush. Too many chances against with turnovers in the neutral zone and entries at the blue line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Pete M said:

One thing I noticed during the preseason is the amount of odd man rushes going against the Canucks....if the "D" are going to carry the puck and rush more often, then one of the forwards have to cover for them  as early as them leaving the "D" zone on the rush. Too many chances against with turnovers in the neutral zone and entries at the blue line.

I didn’t like the open ice the other teams had through the neutral zone too.  Our D gap control (except Hughes, who stays up) was bad.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I didn’t like the open ice the other teams had through the neutral zone too.  Our D gap control (except Hughes, who stays up) was bad.  

Yeah, a lot of this was created by the "D" being caught up ice without the forwards covering or with the Dmen rushing the puck and making the pass on the rush only to have the pass turned over with the D still rushing up ice.....it was glaring at times...also, the Utica Dmen did not fair too well, they were exposed for what they were...AHLers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Very good point.  I'm hoping it's the preseason: tends to be looser? 

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Myers is paid the same doesn’t make him better than Edler. If you watched any Jets games last season, there’s no question that Edler is much better.

Hughes, has played like 5 NHL games lol, don’t know where you’re going with that one.

Tanev can’t do $&!# offensively. Also Edler just as nice defensively, physical and doesn’t have glass bones.

Stecher....lmfao “close to his level.” Such a reach.

Edler had 34 points in only 56 games last year. He had a great &^@#ing year, on pace for having one of his best seasons. People on here always want something to complain about..

A couple of people here have pointed out that Edler's stats were probably inflated last year: lots of rest time, good guys to pass to, time on pp.  

Re: eye test.  Yes, he was much better than 2 years previous, when he was often sub-standard. And it is true that they put him up against better players more often than some.  But the pp time he got also meant that other guys did some pretty heavy minutes not on the pp.  Hutton and Stecher carried a heavy load last year.  Heavier than Edler because they played almost a full season each, unlike Edler.  Heavier in some cases because they didn't play as many pp minutes.

Edler shone in overtime, I remember some 3 v 3 stuff where he won the game.  Definitely worth having on the team, definitely worth resting a bit so he can do this in every overtime. 

Let's set aside the debate til Christmas and decide how he matches up then or mid-November.  When the games matter and players have settled into their roles. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Capture.PNG.6a292e54b33f4547fa9f88e50a39b445.PNG

10 inches and still falling...lol

already shoveled the driveway twice...cause it's windy too.

Keep it there in Calgary, I don't want any of that stuff here in Edmonton yet!  Maybe once the puck is dropped opening night, then I'll take some.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1