The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

You make a convincing argument.  I may have to rethink my opinion on Edler.  I love stats and hadn't realized he'd performed as well as that last year.

The one issue that haunts me on this is his slowness and the fact that he seems to concede the zone to opposing players easier than many of our D.  It's not just me that sees that is it? 

He’s not the fastest, no and I think we all wish he’d play the physical game that he’s pretty darn good at more often.  If he didn’t have that nagging back injury what a career he could have had. 

I understand why people get annoyed with him - he has his moments and the lack of foot speed is noticeable.  His totals may take a bit of a dip as guys like Hughes dig into his PP time or get deployed in more Ozone starts... but on the other hand a stronger team that controls the puck more, generates more chances and lets him ease back on the overall minutes could keep him healthier and more effective.  I’m hoping the current incarnation of the Canucks has that effect on everyone. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

He’s not the fastest, no and I think we all wish he’d play the physical game that he’s pretty darn good at more often.  If he didn’t have that nagging back injury what a career he could have had. 

I understand why people get annoyed with him - he has his moments and the lack of foot speed is noticeable.  His totals may take a bit of a dip as guys like Hughes dig into his PP time or get deployed in more Ozone starts... but on the other hand a stronger team that controls the puck more, generates more chances and lets him ease back on the overall minutes could keep him healthier and more effective.  I’m hoping the current incarnation of the Canucks has that effect on everyone. 

I can't imagine that a bit of a reduction in hard minutes is going to hurt him.  True for Tanev and Stech as well.  And Bo Horvat, as well as Marky in net.  Guys like Sutter and Beagle aren't getting any younger: dividing up the load HAS TO help them avoid injury too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Edler is by far our best defenceman.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, should not be taken seriously.

Far too dismissive. 

Myers is paid the same, unless I am mistaken.  Hughes is already ranked higher by many people. 

And Tanev is arguably better defensively.   And Stecher was arguably very very close to his level last year.  That's 4 players right there who could well be ranked as the top defender on the Canucks as of October something this year.  And that doesn't even take into account the facts that: (a) he misses a third of most seasons, and (b) he is older now than he was last year when he most recently succumbed to injury.

I realize that there is some attachment to the past here -- nostalgia is sacred to most of us on this forum, certainly it is to me -- but he is not incontrovertibly our best D, nor is he important to our future.  He looks like Seattle bait to me, as he must also to the team who have not protected him from this draft. 

I will say without any reservation that he is one of the 3 best D ever to have ever played for this team.  Jovo and Reinhart I would rank ahead of him.  Lumme and Salo I would put very close to him, not sure of the rankings there.

I hope he anchors this team's defence, that he provides mentorship to Hughes, while providing some physical deterrence to players who will, doubtless, take liberties with Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes.   Will he, is the question.

5 hours ago, gameburn said:

You make a convincing argument.  I may have to rethink my opinion on Edler.  I love stats and hadn't realized he'd performed as well as that last year.

The one issue that haunts me on this is his slowness and the fact that he seems to concede the zone to opposing players easier than many of our D.  It's not just me that sees that is it? 

Edler would have had different stats last year if he played 82 games (he didn't have the wear and tear, other than his two injuries)...he was well rested last year because his two injuries were spaced apart where he could be rested. 1st injury was in November and 2nd injury was in February...this allowed him to be rested for December and well rested for March...the other Dmen played most of the games so the wear and tear had a factor on them and not on Edler....

Edler stats last year, have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1