The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Thank god you don't work in pro sports...or any sports!!!   ::D

Hey, you dont know me... you have no idea what I do for a living.... what my experiance in hockey has been. Just because I differ from popular opinion does not make it incorrect. The truth is just because you guys are all championing horvat as captian doesn't make it the only or best option. Other players could do just as well in the roll...or we could remain without one until someone is ready. I know u think bos the guy but I do not. Doesn't make me poor at evaluating sports for a diffrent opinion. 

Cheers

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Well I for one will admit to being wrong about Baer not clearing....maybe.....he may still need to clear re-entry waivers ...which is when teams that want him would wait until to take him...

Don't exist.

Try to keep up with the rest of the class.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Hey, you dont know me... you have no idea what I do for a living.... what my experiance in hockey has been. Just because I differ from popular opinion does not make it incorrect. The truth is just because you guys are all championing horvat as captian doesn't make it the only or best option. Other players could do just as well in the roll...or we could remain without one until someone is ready. I know u think bos the guy but I do not. Doesn't make me poor at evaluating sports for a diffrent opinion. 

Cheers

It sort of does make you poor at evaluating if you think you know more than Benning and Green. 

Bo is the type of player you would kill to have on your line.  He will take the fight to the other team every single shift.  That is what a captain does. 

Bo's also a good interview, and when the tough losses occur, he'll be there taking responsibility and answering their questions. Is Edler going to do that? Heck no. And Pettersson doesn't deserve to be under fire like that. Not yet anyway. Bo's going to be a great captain. His work ethic and determination, he'll carry this team to the Cup if he has to.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

On 9/30/2019 at 1:21 PM, Squamfan said:

You got to be kidding me, what has he done in three years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking of Alf.  Alien thoughts: makes no HOCKEY sense to keep Eriksson over Baertschi or Schaller over Baertschi.  Money or pride of the owner MIGHT explain choosing Eriksson over Baer.  Money might also explain keeping Schaller over Baer.  Maybe ownership really hopes that Baertschi gets picked up on waivers... saves them 3 million plus of cap space.  Eriksson would only save 1 million because no one will pick him up on waivers? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

I'm thinking of Alf.  Alien thoughts: makes no HOCKEY sense to keep Eriksson over Baertschi or Schaller over Baertschi.  Money or pride of the owner MIGHT explain choosing Eriksson over Baer.  Money might also explain keeping Schaller over Baer.  Maybe ownership really hopes that Baertschi gets picked up on waivers... saves them 3 million plus of cap space.  Eriksson would only save 1 million because no one will pick him up on waivers? 

I think they want to go two pure scoring lines and two pure shutdown lines.  That's a mistake IMO.  You need scoring up and down the lineup.  Not half a lineup that is an offensive black hole.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Wilbur said:

I think they want to go two pure scoring lines and two pure shutdown lines.  That's a mistake IMO.  You need scoring up and down the lineup.  Not half a lineup that is an offensive black hole.

I couldn't agree more.  If teams only had 15 players on them (I'm thinking of my days playing Midget hockey here, lol),  I think having "two scoring lines" is fantastic.  Almost excessive.  But this is the NHL where we are allowed to have 20 plus players.   I'm not sure it makes sense to keep this many neutralizers and shut down guys on a team.  Biega being sent down vs. Fantenberg or even Benn hits me the same way.  Why give up on guys who can initiate offense when it's already so hard to score?  And, with injuries... I want Baertschi available to fill in for Boeser or Ferland rather than Eriksson or, lol, Schaller.  

I think it has to be much more about the money, or about the kind of thing we saw before with Malhotra. 

Also: injuries.  And uncertainties with players like Pearson.  Why risk losing Baertschi to keep Schaller and Eriksson or Motte for that matter.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Considering FA has spent to or close to the cap throughout a rebuild phase I highly doubt he cares less about saving 2 millionish in salary.  The strategy I see is they tried to trade 4-5 players (that’s what they said) nobody was interested so they took a calculated risk to waiver them now while every team is healthy and also trimming their roster down.   If the purpose is to reduce the payroll then they’d have better success waiting a couple weeks, hope for some injuries and then waive Bear when Rousell is back - much higher chance they’d get a suitor then.   Instead they kept their depth - and when injuries do occur OR if a player isn’t producing and gets demoted they have a better replacement ready to go.

• Upvote 2

Heh i am by no means a fan of JB.....

But i think the club just went with character guys that are tougher to play against. I am going to trust Greener on these moves.  He wants to win and no doubt sent down the guys that he feels are least needed in various roles.     Looking forward to a grittier team... heh check out my avatar....

I feel bad for Biega as he is a warrior.... but honestly he is a almost a career AHLer that got to live his dream... hoping we see Biega back on the club when injuries hit our D.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I couldn't agree more.  If teams only had 15 players on them (I'm thinking of my days playing Midget hockey here, lol),  I think having "two scoring lines" is fantastic.  Almost excessive.  But this is the NHL where we are allowed to have 20 plus players.   I'm not sure it makes sense to keep this many neutralizers and shut down guys on a team.  Biega being sent down vs. Fantenberg or even Benn hits me the same way.  Why give up on guys who can initiate offense when it's already so hard to score?  And, with injuries... I want Baertschi available to fill in for Boeser or Ferland rather than Eriksson or, lol, Schaller.  

I think it has to be much more about the money, or about the kind of thing we saw before with Malhotra. 

Also: injuries.  And uncertainties with players like Pearson.  Why risk losing Baertschi to keep Schaller and Eriksson or Motte for that matter.  

A couple things.

Bear is pretty good  WHEN he plays - no way would he clear if it wasn’t for his inability to play even 3/4 of a season.  Roster spots are important - and in his case he was beat out of a top six role and I doubt management felt he could endure a bottom six one or they would have kept him.   30 other teams didn’t think he was worth a roster spot either - even for free.   Maybe we are overrating him a tad.    And yes Bear can fill in for Boeser or Ferland, he just needs a call up - or for Pearson if he gets moved down, he can play a reliable third line role and would displace someone else and open a spot for Bear.

On Benn.  I’m sure you’ve watched a lot more of Biega and like the way he plays (it’s fun to watch when he’s hitting everyone no doubt).  But Benn is solid reliable vet, who played a defensive defenseman role in MTL, yet managed over 20 points last year.   Wouldn’t use him as an example over Biega, who had a good chance last year to solidify a spot but couldn’t do it.   He’s an upgrade on Hutton.  Biega’s at this point at least, is  a fringe NHLer - again nobody wanted him either.   Benn on the other hand, was considered a best bargain of last years crop of UFAs.  And drives possession - that’s what his stats tell us anyways. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Considering FA has spent to or close to the cap throughout a rebuild phase I highly doubt he cares less about saving 2 millionish in salary.  The strategy I see is they tried to trade 4-5 players (that’s what they said) nobody was interested so they took a calculated risk to waiver them now while every team is healthy and also trimming their roster down.   If the purpose is to reduce the payroll then they’d have better success waiting a couple weeks, hope for some injuries and then waive Bear when Rousell is back - much higher chance they’d get a suitor then.   Instead they kept their depth - and when injuries do occur OR if a player isn’t producing and gets demoted they have a better replacement ready to go.

Yes, sneak them through and wait to see what happens as the season unfolds.  

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Yes, sneak them through and wait to see what happens as the season unfolds.  

They need the cap space and were more likely hoping to get rid of Baertschi.  They only have 170K now.  Not enough to recall anyone or deal with injuries.  For now they can put Roussel on LTIR but at the expense of banking cap space which is not ideal.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

They need the cap space and were more likely hoping to get rid of them.  They only have 170K now.  Not enough to recall anyone or deal with injuries.  For now they can put Roussel on LTIR but at the expense of banking cap space which is not ideal.  

Sending Eriksson down in addition to Sven would have given them 2 X 1 million?  

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A couple things.

Bear is pretty good  WHEN he plays - no way would he clear if it wasn’t for his inability to play even 3/4 of a season.  Roster spots are important - and in his case he was beat out of a top six role and I doubt management felt he could endure a bottom six one or they would have kept him.   30 other teams didn’t think he was worth a roster spot either - even for free.   Maybe we are overrating him a tad.    And yes Bear can fill in for Boeser or Ferland, he just needs a call up - or for Pearson if he gets moved down, he can play a reliable third line role and would displace someone else and open a spot for Bear.

On Benn.  I’m sure you’ve watched a lot more of Biega and like the way he plays (it’s fun to watch when he’s hitting everyone no doubt).  But Benn is solid reliable vet, who played a defensive defenseman role in MTL, yet managed over 20 points last year.   Wouldn’t use him as an example over Biega, who had a good chance last year to solidify a spot but couldn’t do it.   He’s an upgrade on Hutton.  Biega’s at this point at least, is  a fringe NHLer - again nobody wanted him either.   Benn on the other hand, was considered a best bargain of last years crop of UFAs.  And drives possession - that’s what his stats tell us anyways. 

agree, and i do think people on thsi forum do put baer on a higher statue than what hes really worth, and yes if he was as good as all think on this site, a team woulda grabbed him up ....same with biega and goldobin ...

so agree with all u say 100%