The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

Rate this topic

Odd.

I'm not worried about EP, but the Canucks roster is concerning. Everyone knows EP is a threat, so they shut him down. And he's got ZERO help from the roster to take pressure off him. When teams "key in" on one player, that should open up scoring opportunities for other players. The problem is, the Canucks don't seem to have "other players" that can be a threat. That makes it way too easy to shut EP down.

Loui Eriksson looks like he doesn't even belong in the NHL lately. Virtanen always shows flashes but never consistency. I mean, the Canucks basically have 3 good players: EP, Horvat, and Boeser. That's it. 

That's a solid #1 line, but at the cost of your second line barely being equal to the average NHL 3rd line. This is simply unacceptable team building in today's NHL. Jordie Benn is not the answer ... he has 11 goals in his last 216 games. Tyler Myers probably isn't the answer either -- he was on a defensively deep Winnipeg Jets, and hasn't even proven himself a reliable 2nd pairing defenseman. 

This team is in trouble.

Edited by Matt_T83
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah same. If Goldy's sole purpose is to help EP going, then thats a win for us. Also, Green shouldnt be just hell bent on keeping Boeser with EP, Brock plays pretty well with Bo too

I think you will see Brock with Bo at some time

Must be tough being a coach, if you put a lineup together and you lose - you are a lousy coach

If you change them in  the line up and lose, you are blamed for not letting them get chemistry together and gel

If the team wins he is good though

The players are professionals and have played with many different players since kids and adapt

The coach can lead them to the water (frozen),.... but the onus is still on the players

I do question our system game strategies coached from all ranks within, Like Torts said of our players before - It is stale

Petey was most successful the first half of last season. I think there were two reasosn for that, first most teams and goalies didn't have a book on him and second he had Goldy on his wing. I know there's a lot of Goldy hate on this board, but he is a high IQ playmaker that made Petey better when they were together. I'm all for dumping Schaller and LE and getting Baer and Goldy back up to the big club. Goldy has played his best hockey next to Petey and vice versa. They think the game at the same high level. The power play in preseason was better with Goldy on the wing opposite EP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I am not worried that EP hasn't scored for a long time and he is bound to breakout anytime.  He has too much talent but the only thing I am afraid is that the team could ruin him is the coaching staff especially with Newell Brown with his PP strategy and unwillingly to change up the PP personnel..  They are just too string up by the routine and is not freed up with their creativity and is easily shut down.  Edler is not a fit for the 1st unit PP and Hughes is noticeable with PP2 unit without the top talent and has more chances to score than PP1 unit, tbh.   Quinn is the game changer if they let him with his skating and smarts and ability to find players from his backend.   I have no problem with Benning's management but I do have the issue with the coaching staff, not the head coach but their assistant coaches is quite concerning when they are in charge for specific roles like PP and defence.  I noticed that Brown talks to Green for any 5 on 5 tactics and I feel that it's more Brown than anything else.

13 hours ago, Odd. said:

Pettersson has not scored an even strength goal in the last 30 games. This exposes a glaring issue that faces with this team yet again. Even with the new additions:

We do not have enough "skilled" forwards to accomodate Petey and his skillset 5v5.

Petey has gotten most of his points from the power-play pretty much the last couple of months of last season as well as pre-season.

Boeser is not a playmaker. He can be a great passer, but he's not a playmaker. He needs someone to get the puck to his stick. When that happens, good things happen. But what about Pettersson? Who on this team can get him the puck? Who's that player that can find him thru seams? No one. No one on this roster has that ability. 

Horvat, Pearson, Ferland and Miller are great cycle players. They play well together because all the players are alike. But let's not kid ourselves, Pearson and Ferland can retrieve pucks but their ability to find guys is limited. Horvat tries to be a playmaker, but he's not, simply put. I've seen him too many times turn the puck over trying to do the extra move which then ends up in a minus. 

I'm quite concerned that Petey isn't being surrounded with enough skilled guys that can either get the puck to his stick or at the very least being able to receive and put the puck past the goalie. I have huge concerns about Boeser already. I understand he's coming back from an injury, and that he's missed a large portion of training camp/pre-season, but he's already very one-dimensional, which is something I've started noticing since last season. I also think Petey and Boeser aren't a great fit with each other, but that's a whole different topic.

The only player I've seen that's been able to read Petey is Quinn Hughes. Every time Petey recognizes Hughes is on the ice, he passes the puck to him almost any chance he can because he knows he can be reliable with the puck. That's why I'm seeing Petey hold on to the puck too long, it's like he's scared to pass the puck to a couple of guys in fear that they'll fumble the puck.

Every single game, our franchise star player continues to play more in frustration. I'm sorry, but our roster make up with the likes of Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, Sutter, Virtanen, and others is not going to help Petey's cause at all. 

The last couple of weeks dating back to pre-season have been unbearable and most frustrating hockey I've watched in years. And I'm left wondering why? Why is watching this team so frustrating even with the players we've brought in? 

This is a legit point worth exploring and not discounting. My buddy and I have been having this same conversation for a while.

I agree with you on how Hughes sees the ice/game in a similar manner from an intuitive, hockey IQ standpoint. I disagree about Boeser though. I do believe Boeser has a similar ability but his physical/health issues have been getting in the way.

I think the best evidence is how Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser looked together late last season on 3-on-3. Those three are in sync with each other on a different level in how they read the game. It was special to see then. It's going to be even more so as they mature.

The thing is, Benning went out and got Miller and Ferland, raising the skill level for our Top 6. It's still way too early to say definitively because it's painfully obvious they haven't found chemistry or confidence with each other. The overall skill, or improved skill, of our new Top 6 hasn't taken hold yet or settled into consistency. Same with our D.

We're going to improve this season but we're not at that place of arrival team talent wise. I think the missing skill to surround Petey with isn't here yet. We've just taken a huge step toward that with the new additions but we are still waiting for the likes of Podkolzin, Hoglander, and other skilled prospects to arrive and emerge.

We'll soon be moving away from the days of Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, and Sutter to the next level of skill to compliment Petey, Hughes, and Boeser.

Keep in mind, Petey is almost 21, Hughes is only 19, and Boeser 22. What we really need is for the right level of skill to be here when Petey is 23, 24, 25 and onward.

Just my .02.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

Dominant in what way? I think they've only had 2 or 3 real strong periods, if I had to be honest. 

I'd like to see a line of Ferland/Petey/Miller and Pearson/Horvat/Boeser

If you are putting two of your best and only goal scorers on one line, this is an easy line matchup for the opposing team. Especially when the rest of the team can't consistently produce offense on their own. 

First period in Edmonton they looked disorganized, but in the second they were spending most of their shifts in the ozone, by the third they had the puck all the time.  Pretty much every shift against Calgary, they dominated possession time..........that said, they need to convert, for sure.

To me, it's not having two goals scorers, it's having two mostly perimeter players o the same line.......easy to shut them down

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

I'm not worried about EP, but the Canucks roster is concerning. Everyone knows EP is a threat, so they shut him down. And he's got ZERO help from the roster to take pressure off him. When teams "key in" on one player, that should open up scoring opportunities for other players. The problem is, the Canucks don't seem to have "other players" that can be a threat. That makes it way too easy to shut EP down.

Loui Eriksson looks like he doesn't even belong in the NHL lately. Virtanen always shows flashes but never consistency. I mean, the Canucks basically have 3 good players: EP, Horvat, and Boeser. That's it. 

That's a solid #1 line, but at the cost of your second line barely being equal to the average NHL 3rd line. This is simply unacceptable team building in today's NHL. Jordie Benn is not the answer ... he has 11 goals in his last 216 games. Tyler Myers probably isn't the answer either -- he was on a defensively deep Winnipeg Jets, and hasn't even proven himself a reliable 2nd pairing defenseman. 

This team is in trouble.

ant man GIF

cool your jets chicken little, it's been two games

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

ant man GIF

cool your jets chicken little, it's been two games

I'm more concerned about the long term prospects of giving up a 1st and a 3rd for a 3rd line player, and signing a defenseman not proven be a reliable #3 guy to $6M AAV. Those are tangible concerns my friend.

There are a few concerns into the season two games in only albeit and the offence is sputtering. My theory is a little different then ability I think it’s because they look like they expect more from themselves vrs last year playing with no expectations the game came easy to players like Petey and Brock. You can see the team overthinking the power play with too many passes and weak shots. (Small rant on Edler ) I’m also not a fan of Edler on the PP as he always fumbles a puck killing momentum at the blue-line or maybe it’s just every game I’ve watch him play for years.  Could we just keep Hughes out there for 2 mins straight lol. 

Petey has had some strong looks but nothing has gone in, then all of a sudden he’s wiring a slap shot wide around the boards down the ice on a PP???  he’s just playing frustrated. We need a leader on the team to go to him and tell him to cool his emotion and just play.

This will be a good character builder for the young team to learn to play with some expectations and stay loose at the same time. We will see if our new Captain will be able to lead this group with that mentality or just add to the frustration. 

One thing I’m certain of is the team will improve this season, how much improvement ? My guess is regardless it will not live up to some CDC expectations. 

Edited by Bertorama