The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

Rate this topic

Odd.

• Odd. changed the title to Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

I agree. I'm glad someone picked this fact up. Petterson should have Miller and Ferland on his line and not Brock Boeser.

I have always thought that Boeser had the best chemistry with Horvat. But I do see why everyone keeps thinking Petterson had the better chemistry with Boeser because of the gorgeous setups Petterson gave to Boeser in the game vs Avalanche and Vegas.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

Boeser gets slapped with the 'one dimensional' narrative by box score watchers who assume because he has more goals than assists he must be a useless shotgun riding triggerman. It happens a lot with players who have one particularly excellent skill, like his shot. People assume thats all they can do. That's not to say there aren't one-dimensional players, but I mean if Boeser is one-dimensional because his shot is good, Henrik must have been one-dimensional because he passed so much.

Agreed. Its absurd. I can't believe anyone who watched him produce with Vanek & Gagner could think he's a one dimensional shooter.

Even the elite goal scorer (like Boeser) have the IQ to make the right pass at the right time. Having that level IQ is why they are so good (as goal scorers) in the first place. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Agreed, Miller on his line will help. I don’t really like Brock with him 5 on 5. Baer or Goldy should be on his wing imo. Goldy had a lot of underrated little passing plays that would open up space for Petterson. I hope he finds his confidence in Utica and gets a call up. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Pettersson has not scored an even strength goal in the last 30 games. This exposes a glaring issue that faces with this team yet again. Even with the new additions:

We do not have enough "skilled" forwards to accomodate Petey and his skillset 5v5.

Petey has gotten most of his points from the power-play pretty much the last couple of months of last season as well as pre-season.

Boeser is not a playmaker. He can be a great passer, but he's not a playmaker. He needs someone to get the puck to his stick. When that happens, good things happen. But what about Pettersson? Who on this team can get him the puck? Who's that player that can find him thru seams? No one. No one on this roster has that ability. 

Horvat, Pearson, Ferland and Miller are great cycle players. They play well together because all the players are alike. But let's not kid ourselves, Pearson and Ferland can retrieve pucks but their ability to find guys is limited. Horvat tries to be a playmaker, but he's not, simply put. I've seen him too many times turn the puck over trying to do the extra move which then ends up in a minus. 

I'm quite concerned that Petey isn't being surrounded with enough skilled guys that can either get the puck to his stick or at the very least being able to receive and put the puck past the goalie. I have huge concerns about Boeser already. I understand he's coming back from an injury, and that he's missed a large portion of training camp/pre-season, but he's already very one-dimensional, which is something I've started noticing since last season. I also think Petey and Boeser aren't a great fit with each other, but that's a whole different topic.

The only player I've seen that's been able to read Petey is Quinn Hughes. Every time Petey recognizes Hughes is on the ice, he passes the puck to him almost any chance he can because he knows he can be reliable with the puck. That's why I'm seeing Petey hold on to the puck too long, it's like he's scared to pass the puck to a couple of guys in fear that they'll fumble the puck.

Every single game, our franchise star player continues to play more in frustration. I'm sorry, but our roster make up with the likes of Eriksson, Leivo, Schaller, Sutter, Virtanen, and others is not going to help Petey's cause at all. 

The last couple of weeks dating back to pre-season have been unbearable and most frustrating hockey I've watched in years. And I'm left wondering why? Why is watching this team so frustrating even with the players we've brought in? 

Good post.

It’s one of the reasons why I’m in favor of placing Miller with Pettersson and Boeser.

Let Ferland play with Gaudette and Virtanen (good 3rd line), while Pearson and Horvat get Leivo.

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Agreed, Miller on his line will help. I don’t really like Brock with him 5 on 5. Baer or Goldy should be on his wing imo. Goldy had a lot of underrated little passing plays that would open up space for Petterson. I hope he finds his confidence in Utica and gets a call up. 

Yeah same. If Goldy's sole purpose is to help EP going, then thats a win for us. Also, Green shouldnt be just hell bent on keeping Boeser with EP, Brock plays pretty well with Bo too

• Upvote 1

The onus is on Petey himself. He hasn't been good enough at even strength and teams have figured him out. The league adjusted to him so now it's time for him to adjust to the league. 

He'll be fine, he's young, and like most young players there will be growing pains.