The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

All in all, the game was very fun to watch. I’m not a fan of the chipping it out every single play and losing the puck, but the Flyers are a good team and they came out in the 3rd with a lot of motor and determination, and created a lot of turnovers that way. Markstrom saved our butts, but most of the team looked good for a majority of the game. 

i say bump Virtanen to the Horvat line, they played one shift together and it looked good

They played 2 together and looked really good.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I agree. While he has managed to nab a couple points his last two games, the fact is he's still looking a lot more like the guy from the second half of last year than the guy from the first half. While he needs to start wiring that shot more often, when he does it just isn't hitting any more. And he doesn't have nearly as much space out there either due to teams checking him tighter. I'm worried he doesn't have the power or speed to create enough separation to do his thing.

What annoys me is the typical reaction to these types of concerns. They're either "lol it's only been 4 games" (it's actually been half of last season, all of preseason, plus these 4 games) or "he's smart, he'll figure it out". It's a hand wave to the issue and doesn't address any of the actual concerns. As of this moment there's no precedence for us to believe that he will pull himself out of it. There exists the possibility that this is just the player he is. 

Does anyone feel that Brock and Petey should play on seperate lines?   There is some chemistry but i felt Horvat and Brock had more chemistry when they played together.  Petey can excel with anyone, but i almost feel he needs two tougher wingers on his line like Ferland to retreive pucks and do the dirty work.  

• Upvote 2

Canucks played well enough to win....Philly is a good team with a good goalie.

thought they played not to lose in the third, rather than taking it to the Flyers...a post away from losing playing like that...do not like that approach...saw it it too often last year where they gave up the lead in the third....maybe that's going to be the difference this year, they will be able to hang on better with the better "D".....still do not like it, would rather keep the foot on the gas.

• Upvote 1

Ok just read thru the PGT, a lot of talk about Baer over Leivo. I like Leivo but he was not finishing last night, I agree. But it’s still early to tell with him, just last game we were amazed how he scored that back handed tap in, thing of beauty...where were those hands tonight? Hoping for more consistency from him.

Not sure if anyone here watched the Utica game before the canucks game yesterday? But will report that the comets won, and Baer assisted on the 3rd period game tying goal...and got another apple on the OT winner. He looked rusty to start the game but that quickly faded. He looked good out there, but I hate to say it..he was pelted hard a couple times and looks to be shy of contact. Him being on the Comets I think is a good thing, he will get his timing back and learn to take hits better. But right now to me he’s showing some weakness there. So he’s in a good spot and I agree with many here if Leivo can’t put a consistent effort out every night on the top 6 we will see Baer at home on Horvats wing at some point this season.

As for the game, it was a greasy win...but they all count! GCG :towel:

11 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Does anyone feel that Brock and Petey should play on seperate lines?   There is some chemistry but i felt Horvat and Brock had more chemistry when they played together.  Petey can excel with anyone, but i almost feel he needs two tougher wingers on his line like Ferland to retreive pucks and do the dirty work.  

Horvat and Brock did well when Baer was playing with them...otherwise, they were "meh" average at best.

8 minutes ago, ynwa said:

Had the game set to record, but when I came to play it back the game was already a minute and change into the 3rd. Anybody else have this problem?

You must've set the recording on Sportsnet which was a delayed start. I think due to the MLB playoffs. If you recorded it from CBC, you would've gotten it from the start.

18 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

It's seems like they're looking for each other a bit too much. I'd try splitting them up and putting Brock with Horvat and Pearson and Petey with Miller and Ferland.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The entire Pearson-Horvat-Leivo line really impresses me.    It’s an extremely good two way line that is good defensively and seems to be difficult to contain down low.    The chemistry between Pearson and Horvat has been a godsend.    I’m still quite shocked that we were able to get Pearson for Gudbranson.

also, even though Leivo fumbled the puck a few times, he was engaged and in the right spots...this line is still getting better.

on another note, Ferland and Jake need to play together

• Upvote 2

Good game. Looks like they checked EP real close. The others got to pick it up if that happens.

Impressed with how Markstrom continues to play well. That bad start may hold off Demko because we need to wins to get ahead of of the other teams.

Playoffs are the number one priority!

Edited by grandmaster
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Leivo was BRUTAL tonight. Can't have another game like that with the talent we have sitting in Utica. Can't believe TG had him out in OT.

(Like seeing Petey gets pissed off).

Jake and Leivo need to switch spots imo

10 hours ago, combover said:

Third Jerseys are terrible,

cbc broadcast still stinks.  

Overall pretty ugly hockey. 

But

a wins a win and it won’t matter how they got the 2 points in April. 

I cant stand Randorf as a Play caller. They use John Shorthouse for another broadcast and we get stuck with Randorf and Debrusk. Let them go call the Calgary games. Randorf was fine on Sports page doing highlights. Not my fave guy doing play by play

• Upvote 1