The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

We don’t win that game last year. Liked the battle and compete.  

Markstrom is turning into a legit #1.  He stole that game.  That is a very good sign for this team that he can win games in his own.  He hasn’t always been that guy.

Meyers is a beast,  and exactly what this team needs.  He is not perfect and will be brutal at times, but  he is way better than most d we have had lately.  Tougher than I expected him to be.

Hughes is a 19 year old rookie.  He was very good again and played close to 20 minutes.  That was a tight physical game.  He held his own.  So stoked to have him on our team,  he does not play like a rookie.

This is the best I’ve seen Tanev play.  He has been solid defensively,  and has played great with Hughes.  Tough call coming up on him.  He’d get us a 1st if he can stay healthy.

Pearson looked good.  He is a solid player.  Leivo couldn’t finish, but got himself into scoring areas.  Bad game from him,  but I think he is better than that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. I have this as an official "steal" for Marky (at least on my scorecard).

2. Pearson continues to look good and so does Hughes. 

3. EP picked up an assist and scored a big shootout goal, but he still does not look like he has found his rhythm. I am not sure that the answer is to hesitate less and shoot more. I think EP has to play his game, and his game is built on offensive creativity, although he does have an excellent shot. However, both EP and Boeser are missing too many shot. On good opportunities they are sending more pucks high and wide than last year, when a lot of those pucks went in the corner. It could just be the law of averages, but I think EP has not fully adjusted to his greater muscle mass and that his accuracy and timing will improve, I also expect Boeser to continue to improve. I was more frustrated by off-target shots than by excessive hesitation.

4. It seemed to me that Leivo had a lot of good chances (which is good) but killed most of those chances by mishandling the puck (which is bad). Obviously Benning and Green think he was better than Baertschi, but I can see why a lot of people think that decision is questionable. I admit that Leivo plays with more intensity and I guess that is what they want.

5. I was surprised to see Virtanen credited with only one hit. I thought he made a few good hits and contributed to the physical game tonight, although he continues to disappear at times.  

6. Still disappointed by Ferland. I did not notice many good plays from him tonight and did notice quite a few misplays. According to Corsica he had the worst 5-on-5 Corsi among forwards on the team tonight.  (Hughes had the best 5-on-5 Corsi on the team tonight and the highest expected goals for.)

7. The third period was all Philly, but the Canucks were trying hard, including getting hurt blocking shots (Sutter and Schaller). 

8. The Canucks were fortunate to come away with two points tonight, but there are some good signs. Miller and Myers both look like good additions to the team. 

Yea Ferland is invisible out there. Maybe mad he's not playing on the top 2 lines? Even virtanen showing some effort tonight

What an intense game.  Not a lot of room out there and super tight checking.  I knew Philly had a strong team, glad the boys were up to the task, but I probably gained a few more grey hairs.

Looks like Leivo will be the new whipping boy.  So many chances died on his stick tonight, and yet he battles hard and creates some chances too....idk yet.

Boeser and Pettersen scare the hell out of me in the defensive zone.  Hopefully they start getting it together soon.

Pearson has been beastly since joining us.

Marky = wow

Bo has been solid, but need him to start popping some points in soon.

Our blue line is so much better than last year. Hughes is a gem.  Myers is real gud.  Benn and Stetch have been solid.

Ferland is improving, won't be long now I think till we see his true impact on the game.

All in all, lucky to win this one, but need to be lucky to be good.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team is a much better team than last year. You can see that. 

Miller and Quinn, they are possession monsters.

Pearson is too, all over the puck at both ends.

Pettersson is out there stripping the puck from the top lines on every team, getting a few chances for him and his line.

Miller is the perfect motor for them.

Bo and Pearson looks like a legit combo, but they need someone with finish cuz pearson and Bo both like the corners. Leivo fits the bottom 6 better. Move Ferland up, Leivo down. Bo can get anyone going, so put him with Ferland. Ferland Bo Pearson is a legit line.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2