The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] - Markstrom for a 1st round pick + a solid back-up goalie.......IF

At this year’s trade deadline, IF the Canucks are more than 4 points out of the Wildcard spot and IF another team offered a back-up goalie + a 1st rounder for Markstrom, would you do it?

As a tough a decision as it would be, I think I would lean towards doing so.   Again, a lot of it would depend on Demko and if he looked like a guy that was ready to “carry and swallow the load so to speak,” but if Demko looked ready at that time, then I think I’d consider taking the plunge and taking the calculated risk.   Recouping the first lost in the Miller deal would be tempting.

On the flip side of that, it would be crazy to trade a Vezina calibre goalie in Markstrom (which is what he pretty much is now).   As good as Demko has looked so far, he still needs to a far bigger track record before he is handed the car keys.   

The other line of thought (and likely the route that I would go) is to simply keep Markstrom and Demko at all costs this year regardless of where we were in the standings.   Then, at the 2021 trade deadline, the Canucks could trade one of their goalies for whatever.   

Waiting until the 2021 trade deadline would also give the Canucks enough time to properly assess as to where the three goalies are.   Is Markstrom still playing a Vezina calibre level?   Is Demko at the same level that Corey Schneider was in 2012?.....and ready to take over?    Does Dipietro look like a guy that could realistically take over Markstrom’s potion in a few years?    Waiting until the 2021 deadline would give us a larger sample size to assess all of the above.

Anyways - that’s what I would do.    What about you guys?

• Like 2
  • Wat 1

I'm sure offers will arrive for both 'tenders. Imagine a scenario where a few reliable starters have health trubs as the TDL approaches?

If MacIntire has a strong yr on the farm, I'd prob gamble a trade(to recoup a 1st) even if we're in the PO-mix. Then he might be your backup. But it's a ballsy move.

• Upvote 1

Rental goalies seldom bring much at the trade deadline. Ryan Miller fetched a 1sr from St Louis in 2014.  But he was a recent vezina winner and had a far more established rep than Markstrom.  I think you’re being extremely optimistic in hoping to get a 1st for him. Let alone the team adding a solid backup. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

At this year’s trade deadline, IF the Canucks are more than 4 points out of the Wildcard spot and IF another team offered a back-up goalie + a 1st rounder for Markstrom, would you do it?

As a tough a decision as it would be, I think I would lean towards doing so.   Again, a lot of it would depend on Demko and if he looked like a guy that was ready to “carry and swallow the load so to speak,” but if Demko looked ready at that time, then I think I’d consider taking the plunge and taking the calculated risk.   Recouping the first lost in the Miller deal would be tempting.

On the flip side of that, it would be crazy to trade a Vezina calibre goalie in Markstrom (which is what he pretty much is now).   As good as Demko has looked so far, he still needs to a far bigger track record before he is handed the car keys.   

The other line of thought (and likely the route that I would go) is to simply keep Markstrom and Demko at all costs this year regardless of where we were in the standings.   Then, at the 2021 trade deadline, the Canucks could trade one of their goalies for whatever.   

Waiting until the 2021 trade deadline would also give the Canucks enough time to properly assess as to where the three goalies are.   Is Markstrom still playing a Vezina calibre level?   Is Demko at the same level that Corey Schneider was in 2012?.....and ready to take over?    Does Dipietro look like a guy that could realistically take over Markstrom’s potion in a few years?    Waiting until the 2021 deadline would give us a larger sample size to assess all of the above.

Heh

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Rental goalies seldom bring much at the trade deadline. Ryan Miller fetched a 1sr from St Louis in 2014.  But he was a recent vexing winner and had a far more established rep than Markstrom.  I think you’re being extremely optimistic in hoping to get a 1st for him. Let alone the team adding a solid backup. 

I'd contend this is a relatively rare situation, with teams seeing an ED approaching. Also not so common to have two starters playing at the level of JM & TD, both on easy contracts to move.

& in Van's shoes(w/Lu's recapture & Louie the Lump..9 mill pi$$ed like bar wages), even a nice 2nd & capable backup might be tempting. At draft they can add a Pearson, Leivo type to that pick, to maybe garner a late 1st? In the end, they can afford to dump pricey middle-men, to keep adding youth/picks. There is no real URGency here.

If they DO decide to move a 'tender, I hope it's out east(like Lu & Schneids). I like both these guys, & don't want Van to face them every month.

18 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Rental goalies seldom bring much at the trade deadline. Ryan Miller fetched a 1sr from St Louis in 2014.  But he was a recent vezina winner and had a far more established rep than Markstrom.  I think you’re being extremely optimistic in hoping to get a 1st for him. Let alone the team adding a solid backup. 

Later, Buff squanders a 1st(if memory serves) to OTT for Lehner, which blew in their face.

Anderson to the Fleas landed a 1st, didn't he?

There are precedents, including our Captain's ticket.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Later, Buff squanders a 1st(if memory serves) to OTT for Lehner, which blew in their face.

Anderson to the Fleas landed a 1st, didn't he?

There are precedents, including our Captain's ticket.

It was Lehner and Legwand for a 1st. But that was in the off-season 

Andersen was also in the off-season. 

Edited by qwijibo

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Well this is a pretty funny thread

in paragraph 2 you say you would and in paragraph 5-6 you say you'd wait.

what is your point?

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd contend this is a relatively rare situation, with teams seeing an ED approaching. Also not so common to have two starters playing at the level of JM & TD, both on easy contracts to move.

& in Van's shoes(w/Lu's recapture & Louie the Lump..9 mill pi$$ed like bar wages), even a nice 2nd & capable backup might be tempting. At draft they can add a Pearson, Leivo type to that pick, to maybe garner a late 1st? In the end, they can afford to dump pricey middle-men, to keep adding youth/picks. There is no real URGency here.

If they DO decide to move a 'tender, I hope it's out east(like Lu & Schneids). I like both these guys, & don't want Van to face them every month.

Who has a late 1st that needs a goalie and Leivo or Pearson? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Well this is a pretty funny thread

in paragraph 2 you say you would and in paragraph 5-6 you say you'd wait.

what is your point?

Who has a late 1st that needs a goalie and Leivo or Pearson? 

Fair enough.

i did admittedly flip flop while I was writing the post.

what I should have said was as follows:   I’d be tempted by an offer like that, but I’d ultimately wait until the 2021 deadline.

• Upvote 1