The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Teck withdraws application for Frontier oilsands mine, citing debate around climate policy

"We are disappointed to have arrived at this point," CEO and president Don Lindsay wrote in a letter addressed to federal Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson, posted to the company's website Sunday evening. "Teck put forward a socially and environmentally responsible project that was industry leading and had the potential to create significant economic benefits for Canadians."

Lindsay wrote that customers want policies that reconcile resource development and climate change — something that Canada has yet to achieve.

"Unfortunately, the growing debate around this issue has placed Frontier and our company squarely at the nexus of much broader issues that need to be resolved. In that context, it is now evident that there is no constructive path forward for the project," he wrote.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/teck-frontier-1.5473370

huh. Didn't see that coming. Kenney is an idiot for blaming the protests on this, there wasn't any issue at all related to this project, we just talked about how the AB gov't and Cree first nation figured out a way forward.

Teck needs more time to see if prices will rebound. If that happens, you'll see them resubmit the proposal. All the work is already done.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Teck needs more time to see if prices will rebound. If that happens, you'll see them resubmit the proposal. All the work is already done.

Well that certainly is a boring narative....   no chance it gets any traction.....

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I want a centre party thats pro-business but also invests in social programs. It doesn't exist anymore. 

You're very libertarian then?

I am conservative when it comes to fiscal policy but I see benefit of having social programs but as a con I don't want people to become to reliant on them. I look at it as a too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I look at it like with people needing to have a burden of responsibility and if you help them out too much you start to take that away from them.

Nowadays too much picking sides on issues like foreign policy, the environment, healthcare, social issues, the list goes on. Media made it easier to side with one while making the other look awful when both sides have their pros and cons.

It is impossible to have middle ground.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nowadays too much picking sides on issues like foreign policy, the environment, healthcare, social issues, the list goes on. Media made it easier to side with one while making the other look awful when both sides have their pros and cons.

It is impossible to have middle ground.

So true. It feels like everything comes down to a moral battleground. There's no issue someone can't oversimplify & make about morality/virtue. 

The world is full of grey area. And there's this desire to make nuanced issues black & white. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I keep telling him he is a libertarian...

His problem is he would be aligned with me.:lol:

Nah, Jimmy did read their platform said it wasn't bad but he staunchly opposed their position on firearms. 

its true, I do like a number of things they stand for. 

@Junkyard Dog - I can't vote CPC because they won't stay out of peoples lives. It wasn't like that before the merger. 

But I'm also getting very concerned over Trudeau's fumbling, real or perceived. If global investment starts looking at Canada as 'not worth the time' or simply flaky we're hooped.

I don't think Teck is the final nail, I do think the CEO is playing a bit of a game here, but its aint good. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Violator said:

Not everyone is anti oilsands im sure someone told them whats up.

there's probably 3 or 4 people that know the decision... it would be risky to tell the company out of school. I guess its possible that Trudeau wanted it leaked so the company pulled out without the Lib's making a public decision. But that seems stupid to me too, there wasn't that much risk in Trudeau saying yes, it would have cooled things down for him.

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lmao this coming from you.:lol:

Yes.  Coming from me.

The guy who DOESN'T run away from an argument and posts supporting links.

Not you.  Mr. Opinion column, I answered it look at me run away cluck cluck cluck.