The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Do you think Canucks need new coaching staff?

Rate this topic

Roberts

Canucks Coaching Staff Poll  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have seen a lot of "Fire Green" & "Fire Brown" so I'm curious to see what the majority of CDC wants in regards to the coaching staff situation. Feel free to reply as to why you voted for what you voted for. If you do so, please respect other peoples opinions and try not to be rude.

Before you jump to conclusions, please note that by posting this thread I am not saying I think any coaching staff should be fired/replaced. I am purely creating this to see what the fanbase thinks. Personally I think the coaching staff has done a fine job overall.

What do you think?

Edited by Roberts
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe one day in the future, but not yet.  Considering most coaches have a shelf life I don't think we need to necessarily go chasing our next level coach just yet.  Besides, who would we replace him with right now?

i do not understand this line of thinking. You are far from the first to say, not yet, or shelf life, others have said Green is the coach we need for now, I don't get it.

If Green and co aren't good enough to coach in the furture, what makes them good enough now?

I want great coaching at all points of our developement, and I just do not see it with this crew.

btw I said replace them all, but I would like Ian Clark to stay, maybe Manny, but maybe not Manny, the rest should go.

edit, what is the shelf life of Barry Trotz?

Edited by lmm
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

i do not understand this line of thinking. You are far from the first to say, not yet, or shelf life, others have said Green is the coach we need for now, I don't get it.

Basically, a coach has only so many tricks up his sleeve to motivate a team.  After a coach has been with a team for a long enough time, he runs out of tricks.  At that point, it is time for a fresh start.  It is rare to see a coach that has been with a team for a long time finally win it all.  It's more typical that a new coach will provide fresh jump to a team and helps take them to another level.

Right now the Canucks are not contenders and do not appear to have tuned out the current coaching staff.  I think they are still at least a couple of years worth of maturing and turnover before they start looking like real contenders.  By that time Green will likely have run his course and then a new coach can take the team to the next level.

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

edit, what is the shelf life of Barry Trotz?

There are exceptions to every rule.

1 hour ago, WCE said:

hire Babcock before Seattle gets him 

Babcock will mess up everything Green has accomplished. I would never hire him. Tell me this: how are we suppose to tank without Green?

Even Green's haters have to admit, Green seems to have a magic touch when it comes to tanking. He doesn't tank too hard so we don't ruin our culture but at the same time, he tanks hard enough so that we can still get good prospects. We couldn't have got Hughes or Pettersson without him. 

:bigblush:

Edited by Guest

The team is exactly where they should be. Some people just have huge expectations imo when we are just now becoming a playoff bubble team. There’s still lots of growth happening with this team. And the coaching staff is a part of that. The reason they were hired was to grow with a rebuilding team. There will be a new staff eventually sure but some people just need to settle the heck down 

• Upvote 2

No. I’m not a fan of a few of Green’s decisions but firing him now doesn’t make much sense. Team isn’t in win now mode. Next season, different story. Especially if we miss the playoffs this season. Assistants just got extended, they aren’t being fired either. Not really a fan of them but it is what it is, you go to war with what you have.

Let this season play out as it may. Re-revaluate the coaching staff in the offseason. Team isn’t showing up, that’s on them not the coaches. It’s not their job to babysit grown men. Make a trade. Demote somebody. Send some kind of message. Or wait for injured guys to get healthy, which I think is the organizational game plan.

4 hours ago, Roberts said:

I have seen a lot of "Fire Green" & "Fire Brown" so I'm curious to see what the majority of CDC wants in regards to the coaching staff situation. Feel free to reply as to why you voted for what you voted for. If you do so, please respect other peoples opinions and try not to be rude.

Before you jump to conclusions, please note that by posting this thread I am not saying I think any coaching staff should be fired/replaced. I am purely creating this to see what the fanbase thinks. Personally I think the coaching staff has done a fine job overall.

What do you think?

No!!! Why?!?!?!

...get a bit if mojo going and its "ship everyone out and start again"...?

And if you aren't suggesting they should be replaced, why bring it up?

• Cheers 1

I’m not a fan of Green but no why bother. It’s not worth firing anybody at this point anyway. This is a transitional year of the Canucks being bottom dwellers to being a bubble team and as it stands they are exactly where they should be given the age of the core and injuries to key vets. The problem I find with Green is he’s vulnerable to being out coached by anybody. The Canucks are a one trick pony and that only gets you so far in this league. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think we’re ready to win.

i know everyone thinks we are mostly because their sick of waiting and they think that because the names are here they’re ready.

it doesent work that way. Those names have to be experienced usually. You can’t Argue the leafs made it in 16/17 when their best guys were rookies but seriously adding Matthews Marner and Nylander to a team that had JVR kadri Rielly bozak Gardiner and freedy Anderson helped that quite a bit.

our best players are in their first, second or third years for the most part. My other team buffalos best players are in their fifth, sixth, seventh, second, second, years and they’re around where we are but haven’t made it in a decade. And before you talk about how our core is better it could be but don’t act like Eichel and dahlin aren’t as good as say Petterson and Hughes because I assure you....they are. Canucks goaltending is better but Ullmark is a stud he’s like a Demko and Luukonen is one of the best prospects in hockey. Buffalo actually had better defense too. You can debate that all day but that’s just my opinion. And I don’t know how closer they are then us. Jokiharju Montour, Dahlin aNd Ristolainen are better then edler Myers tanev and Hughes and any kid of McCabe bogosian pilut scandella are better then benn and stecher. Not leaps and bounds but yeah.

i believe we have a better botttton six forWards and better defensive centres s well as better role players, and maybe an even better system (and goaltending)

But how young are guys are...thats really not great formula for success. 

i think in two years or maybe even nextt season we could be ready.

i don’t think Benning would make it that long though, green would likely but not after next year if there were no playoffs this season and next.

i don’t know if greens the right man for the job though. 

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

Limited sample size on the poll - but I don’t think we need any new coaching staff.  For all the complaints on the PP front - special teams wins us games and EP is always drawing penalties -double whammy.   Also I don’t know what people can except of this team - it’s core is very young and will be prone to ups and downs - we won’t see it’s best hockey for at least a couple years yet.   Green isn’t the best or bad - he’s above average IMO because based on our roster he’s got us playing since he arrived - above where we both were predicted to play and where we probably should be playing.   We haven’t been out of many games - whether or not it’s been goaltending (again the ups and downs) and have beat some very good teams along the way too.   I do think that if we don’t make the playoffs then so be it.  We get another pick.   Next year however is an entirely different story - if we go with Green again he will and should be on a short leash.  Coaching changes occur first.  If that doesn’t help then it’s the players - and or the GM.   

Im all for stability and think JB has earned the right to see us through the next TWO seasons (this one and the following one).  As long as each year we take steps (and we’ve taken one for sure this year - most games are entertaining and good ones )  we are on the right path and keep it the same.   Bet one of the next couple of games we score five. It’s our new normal.

• Upvote 1

This team doesn’t need new coaching staff, it needs the grit we’re lacking without ferland, roussel and motte. It’s too easy to push us around and we have no one that can hit we rank 3rd fewest hits in the league. When we had ferland back we were doing great then we lost him and boom we’re getting pushed around. 

• Cheers 1

Even if we bring someone in this year they're unlikely to take us to the next level, we may as well ride the season out with Green. I'm game for getting rid of Baumer and Brown though (yes, I don't care if he was just extended) once the season is over. Goalie guru stays though, for all the fuss about Marky lately our goalies have been our saving grace this season. 

More than anything we need to catch a &^@#ing break regarding injuries for once. It feels like they derail us ever Nov/Dec. 

what? you mean its hard to win games without Beagle, Sutter, Roussel and Ferland in our lineup? fire everyone!!! :frantic:

its popular in some corners of our local media and fancy stats tweeties to rag on these guys but anyone actually watching the games can see the impact the loss of these guys have on the remaining Fs ability to generate quality and/or sustained offence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BettyWhites44 said:

This team doesn’t need new coaching staff, it needs the grit we’re lacking without ferland, roussel and motte. It’s too easy to push us around and we have no one that can hit we rank 3rd fewest hits in the league. When we had ferland back we were doing great then we lost him and boom we’re getting pushed around. 

Dude we were doing great against la and Detroit. That’s where still where basically half our 9 wins in overtime and regulation have came from. Yeah we beat St. Louis and Washington in shootouts which is an old tie. Those two and the sharks I believe are the only three teams in 25 games from last year we have beaten that made the playoffs last year. I could be off by a team or two but that’s all I remember. We also lost to St. Louis as well remember that Awful 3 on 0 goal, ugh.

Most teams are missing way more

important players then we are in six of the injury excuse for the last six years. Our best players are playing.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Upvote 2