The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Alt News/Views, Try "The Duran"

Nuxfanabroad

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As much as Trump can be a douche he has exposed the media for what they are. Either 'click' whores or agenda driven. 

the media is, has been and always will be a business that sells advertising. I'm not sure what alternative trump would espouse elsewise?

And for anyone who's interested in who /what The Duran is here you go.

History

Founded in 2016, The Duran is a strongly right leaning news and opinion website with ties to Russian state media. Based in Cyprus, the editor of the website is Alexander Mercouris, who in 2012 was disbarred as an attorney in London. According to the Telegraph, he then went on to become a “pro-Russian commentator on world affairs for Russian TV news outlets and websites.”

The Duran’s director is Peter Lavelle, who is host of RT’s (Russian state news outlet) political debate program CrossTalk.

In 2018, the right leaning Weekly Standard accused The Duran of peddling Russian “Fake News.”

The website does not provide an about page, mission statement, funding or obvious ownership information.

Funded by / Ownership

The Duran is owned by the Cyprus based DRN Media PLC. Moscow native Alex Christoforou is the President and Chairman of DRN Media PLC. Funding for The Duran comes from Paypal and Patreon donations, as well as advertising.

Analysis / Bias

When covering the USA, the Duran demonstrates a conservative bias with frequent articles denigrating the left such as this: Rudy Giuliani DESTROYS Hillary Clinton, “America’s Number One Crime Family” (Video) and this story promoting a conspiracy theory, NXIVM Sex-Cult Prosecutors Have Evidence Of Illegal Clinton Campaign Contributions For “Political Influence”. This latter story is copied and pasted from the right wing conspiracy website Zerohedge

In general, The Duran routinely publishes pro-Russian propaganda and promotes right wing conspiracies through the use of poorly sourced, plagiarized news articles.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

And for anyone who's interested in who /what The Duran is here you go.

History

Founded in 2016, The Duran is a strongly right leaning news and opinion website with ties to Russian state media. Based in Cyprus, the editor of the website is Alexander Mercouris, who in 2012 was disbarred as an attorney in London. According to the Telegraph, he then went on to become a “pro-Russian commentator on world affairs for Russian TV news outlets and websites.”

The Duran’s director is Peter Lavelle, who is host of RT’s (Russian state news outlet) political debate program CrossTalk.

In 2018, the right leaning Weekly Standard accused The Duran of peddling Russian “Fake News.”

The website does not provide an about page, mission statement, funding or obvious ownership information.

Funded by / Ownership

The Duran is owned by the Cyprus based DRN Media PLC. Moscow native Alex Christoforou is the President and Chairman of DRN Media PLC. Funding for The Duran comes from Paypal and Patreon donations, as well as advertising.

Analysis / Bias

When covering the USA, the Duran demonstrates a conservative bias with frequent articles denigrating the left such as this: Rudy Giuliani DESTROYS Hillary Clinton, “America’s Number One Crime Family” (Video) and this story promoting a conspiracy theory, NXIVM Sex-Cult Prosecutors Have Evidence Of Illegal Clinton Campaign Contributions For “Political Influence”. This latter story is copied and pasted from the right wing conspiracy website Zerohedge

In general, The Duran routinely publishes pro-Russian propaganda and promotes right wing conspiracies through the use of poorly sourced, plagiarized news articles.

OP probably should have googled this before getting on his soapbox. 

23 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

OP probably should have googled this before getting on his soapbox. 

Actually no, that's quite alright. All opinions should be welcome here. I've watched it a number of months, & frequently found info provided by the two Alexes, as consistent with other sources I respect.

It may be that the provided opinion/ 'definition', has an axe to grind with the content..perhaps it has hit too close to the truth, for liking of the PTB. I've heard sources like Wikipedia have often been discredited.

I frankly haven't found western media sources as very valuable for quite a long time. Being in Asia, I'd like online sources that I feel are dependable.

& lastly, soapbox? Speak for yourself, my friend. Merely recommending something one considers worthwhile, isn't my definition of a soapbox. Perhaps we have preferences for different dictionaries? At any rate, your opinion is as worthy of my own..have a good day.

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Actually no, that's quite alright. All opinions should be welcome here. I've watched it a number of months, & frequently found info provided by the two Alexes, as consistent with other sources I respect.

It may be that the provided opinion/ 'definition', has an axe to grind with the content..perhaps it has hit too close to the truth, for liking of the PTB. I've heard sources like Wikipedia have often been discredited.

I frankly haven't found western media sources as very valuable for quite a long time. Being in Asia, I'd like online sources that I feel are dependable.

& lastly, soapbox? Speak for yourself, my friend. Merely recommending something one considers worthwhile, isn't my definition of a soapbox. Perhaps we have preferences for different dictionaries? At any rate, your opinion is as worthy of my own..have a good day.

My point is you can't single out western media throw around terms like bogus and bias when your go to "news" source has it's own agenda. Just seemed a little hypocritical to me. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I made a thread on here a few years ago asking posters where to find non biased news. It was a dud too. 

Turned into what this thread has. 

I think in this day that’s probably all that will happen. Bias runs strong on all sides. One can only hope that people read stories/news from both sides of the fence and formulate their own opinion after considering all of the facts (and that’s actual facts and not opinion on said facts) but I realize that is a very slim hope.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I think in this day that’s probably all that will happen. Bias runs strong on all sides. One can only hope that people read stories/news from both sides of the fence and formulate their own opinion after considering all of the facts (and that’s actual facts and not opinion on said facts) but I realize that is a very slim hope.

I might be too much of an optimist at times but I believe this does happen.

We all know.... the fight is fixed, the poor get poor, the rich get rich..

It's why I like to come here and listen to all the sides, view points. Most people I know don't just take the 'news' as truth, they cross reference with peers and develop their own opinion after respectful discussion. 

That said, I do stay away from social media platforms where it seems that any random person ( or bot?) can sour a point with inaccuracies and drama. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Compounding the issue is the Agenda of the MSM, predominantly left-leaning, to say the least, and the globalist messaging, regardless. 

Its all but a distraction for fidgeting, mental materbators who willingly subjugate themselves like sheep into their chosen identity-corrals. 

The forum is PhD-maker of a case study of this point. 

I’m embarrassed for our ancestors by how easily fooled the average “intellectual” is represented on here. 

“News” 

lol 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Compounding the issue is the Agenda of the MSM, predominantly left-leaning, to say the least, and the globalist messaging, regardless. 

Its all but a distraction for fidgeting, mental materbators who willingly subjugate themselves like sheep into their chosen identity-corrals. 

The forum is PhD-maker of a case study of this point. 

I’m embarrassed for our ancestors by how easily fooled the average “intellectual” is represented on here. 

“News” 

lol 

What a fancy sentence.

Where do you go for your news? Is it mostly you tube?

I watched your animal slaughter vid in the world events. eye opening.

The suffering on the kill floors of our own slaughter houses both for the animals and workers is something that we turn a blind eye to also. But i guess it's ok since we love bacon, despite the idea that a pig is as smart as a dog.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I might be too much of an optimist at times but I believe this does happen.

We all know.... the fight is fixed, the poor get poor, the rich get rich..

It's why I like to come here and listen to all the sides, view points. Most people I know don't just take the 'news' as truth, they cross reference with peers and develop their own opinion after respectful discussion. 

That said, I do stay away from social media platforms where it seems that any random person ( or bot?) can sour a point with inaccuracies and drama. 

I think you have it exactly wrong. All the MSM is the same, right down to use the same adjectives to describe events. It's like 1984. Social media is the only place to get any non partisan input. Even that is getting harder and harder to find.

Just now, langlands said:

I think you have it exactly wrong. All the MSM is the same, right down to use the same adjectives to describe events. It's like 1984. Social media is the only place to get any non partisan input. Even that is getting harder and harder to find.

The beauty of this world is we can communicate with each other, like we just have, with no real filtering.

And,I'm not really talking about just MSM, I'm talking about any source. Like this thread, people have taught the OP that his source may also be compromised by those that own the outlet.

That was my point, I can come on cdc and read the viewpoints of posters that I have come to respect. We can all go to different sources to validate our opinions and continue to discuss. 

My thought about social media is that at lot of those sources are random, unknown sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What a fancy sentence.

Where do you go for your news? Is it mostly you tube?

I watched your animal slaughter vid in the world events. eye opening.

The suffering on the kill floors of our own slaughter houses both for the animals and workers is something that we turn a blind eye to also. But i guess it's ok since we love bacon, despite the idea that a pig is as smart as a dog.

My sources vary.

I’ve yet to find a reliable source without an agenda. 

For instance, I am right leaning in that I believe in accountability and personal choices, but I am also what is considered as a nationalist and alt right, because of how I perceive things like white guys being booed as the norm in white countries.

As an anti-theist, I seem to find great sites or sources only to learn that they are religion-based and fall back into teaching from authority

Sometimes I’m watching from places fighting against Israel, RT and especially the alternative places like Bitchute and what’s left of YouTube. I don’t use google for anything that’s not a technical question. 

Since WW2, there has been insanely successful mastery of the people by the media. It’s getting harder and harder to source that kind of info online, I find. 

I’m always searching for truth. 

Take the Wage Gap frenzy. 

WTF was that? Part time moms make less than full time men???

Its not a “wage” gap at all, but an earnings gap, easily debunked most any mom, employer or honest person not engaged in double speak tactics. 

Show me a Canadian employer who pays women less than a man and I’ll show you the law and a court case. We already have protections against that. It’s a distracting hoax, nothing more. 

Its crap like that and now the Climate Crisis and the need to tax me to reduce CO2 or we’re all going to die that will be the next distraction until the junk science comes out, ... from alternate media sources, no doubt. People believe what they’re told. 

9/10 Dentists agree that this toothpaste is the best! 

97% of “scientists” agree CO2 is bla bla bla. 

Believe. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, langlands said:

I agree with the second sentence.

Social Media is patrolled by sniffers and places like YouTube and google are exacting proof of that. 

Comments, posts, it doesn’t matter what platform we are on, it’s entirely monitored and managed. This stuff used to all be available on line. Buildings full of  of paid-posters, bloggers, “debunkers”, it’s all out there, but now so hard to find. 

Trump, in the beginning at least, was interesting because he thumbed his nose at the MSM. He mocked the known fallacy of it all. It was fun while it lasted, until people began discovering how racist, sexist and *ist, *ist *ist we all were. 

I stopped reading news papers and watching TV a long time ago. 

That came with a price, but wow, can I sure spot the messaging fast now when I see something.

I wish everyone would put down their phones for a month and just try it. I guarantee change in how you perceive things around you and an increase in “happiness”.

There will be no takers because that’s harder to do than to continue the mental masterbation. Addictions... mental health? Ditch your reliance on media of any kind for a month. I dare any of you to. Matrix stuff lol  

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

One of the biggest social threats today is that people can isolate their 'news' to silos that reaffirm their existing views. It is called self-confirmation in the investment world. Combine this with the MSM who have predominantly progressive points of view. Sadly this has not changed and that my idols like Walter Cronkite was flawed. Critical thought seems to have fallen by the wayside. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

One of the biggest social threats today is that people can isolate their 'news' to silos that reaffirm their existing views. It is called self-confirmation in the investment world. Combine this with the MSM who have predominantly progressive points of view. Sadly this has not changed and that my idols like Walter Cronkite was flawed. Critical thought seems to have fallen by the wayside. 

Yup exactly. Being in the investment industry myself I like the comparison as I deal with self-confirmation / affirmation quite a bit Not to mention most of the latest get rich quick schemes that my clients have been introduced to through various mediums. 

Ppl need to realize that the MSM is out to make money first and foremost, particularly with opinion pieces these days. They cater to their audience that eats up what they’re selling so anything they say should be taken with a grain of salt for sure. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I made a thread on here a few years ago asking posters where to find non biased news. It was a dud too. 

Turned into what this thread has. 

I would've said Vice is pretty good. At least the Shane Smith HBO collaboration. All of the Vice stuff on Facebook is articles about how you're bigoted for not dating a transgender person and stupid $&!# like that nowadays. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yup exactly. Being in the investment industry myself I like the comparison as I deal with self-confirmation / affirmation quite a bit Not to mention most of the latest get rich quick schemes that my clients have been introduced to through various mediums. 

Ppl need to realize that the MSM is out to make money first and foremost, particularly with opinion pieces these days. They cater to their audience that eats up what they’re selling so anything they say should be taken with a grain of salt for sure. 

Exactly. People assume a lot when they take info in. What they feel to realize is that the people trying to get their attention often have very sophisticated tools to segment their appeal to demographic and income. They say what appeals to their target audience. Key words are a big deal. Social media simply escalates the process. You don't need much of a piece of a big market to make money. 

I always had this theory that the propaganda arms of Allied armies came out of WW II with the knowledge of how to influence people in a major way. Those people either stayed in the army and continued their work or came out and went into media and advertising. Over the decades they have become very good. 

Most people don't even realize they are being played. 

• Upvote 2