The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. Russia | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2020 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

We lose 1 first rounder... probably next year?

But we still have this year's though?  Canada always has a couple of fast forwards and 2 or 3 first class D, wish we could find a way to get one. Hofer was good too, but not necessarily in the market for a goalie right now.  We got Woo a while back... that's something I guess.

We are in the playoffs as of now, which would mean we lose this year's pick if we stay in the playoffs. Ideally I'd rather the team just be a playoff team now. We have Pod, Hoglander, Lind, and Woo. We aren't in desperate need for high end young players. Steal some more Euros in the 2nd and 3rd round. We'll live without this year's 1st. :ph34r:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gameburn said:

We lose 1 first rounder... probably next year?

But we still have this year's though?  Canada always has a couple of fast forwards and 2 or 3 first class D, wish we could find a way to get one. Hofer was good too, but not necessarily in the market for a goalie right now.  We got Woo a while back... that's something I guess.

At this point, it's looking like it'll be this year's first.

• Like 1

The tourney needs to do something about the refs 

I feel for the kids in the tourney that have had to deal with this 

those can’t be the 2 highest rated refs for the tourney can they? 

the TSN Camera call was that just plain wrong and the linesman called it properly right away 

Just now, stawns said:

Nice to have an explanation, but, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, I agree with O'Neill it probably should have been overruled.

Agreed. Even if the zebras used the rule B Mac spoke of, it's still interpretation. I think common sense dictates that the puck was out.

Miller even made the point that TSN placed the camera behind the glass, so it wouldn't be part of a contentious play.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

The tourney needs to do something about the refs 

I feel for the kids in the tourney that have had to deal with this 

those can’t be the 2 highest rated refs for the tourney can they? 

the TSN Camera call was that just plain wrong and the linesman called it properly right away 

The call was right, the rule is stupid. IIHF needs to update their rules to not be dumb. Canada won, the call was correct. Feel bad for Russia but reffing happens. Gotta rise above it. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. Even if the zebras used the rule B Mac spoke of, it's still interpretation. I think common sense dictates that the puck was out.

Miller even made the point that TSN placed the camera behind the glass, so it wouldn't be part of a contentious play.

I mean if the puck is over the glass, eventually it has to hit some structure of the rink... common sense dictates that in such situations, the written rule does not apply. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nice to have an explanation, but, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, I agree with O'Neill it probably should have been overruled.

True. But that doesn't guarantee a Russian goal, or erase that fact they blew a 3-1 lead in third with less than 12 mins left. Rus finished with 1 for 6 PP. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed, however, it is a rule and it does negate any argument that the win was somehow "tainted"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've played for over 50 years....up to the level of Jr and I've never once had a coach tell me to go out and embellish, or dive...

Nor did I And I to went right to junior ( junior b is here is stopped competing) as well 

have not played 60 years but I do strongly disagree with your Comnents re “that’s hockey” when it come to diving and embellishment 

yes that has been in hockey forever but it’s always, since day 1 been considered the lowest move a guy on the ice can pull 

Just now, Down by the River said:

I mean if the puck is over the glass, eventually it has to hit some structure of the rink... common sense dictates that in such situations, the written rule does not apply. 

Well, if puck goes into the bench, it is not a penalty either.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Nor did I And I to went right to junior ( junior b is here is stopped competing) as well 

have not played 60 years but I do strongly disagree with your Comnents re “that’s hockey” when it come to diving and embellishment 

yes that has been in hockey forever but it’s always, since day 1 been considered the lowest move a guy on the ice can pull 

rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

You make her look the life of the party

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We are in the playoffs as of now, which would mean we lose this year's pick if we stay in the playoffs. Ideally I'd rather the team just be a playoff team now. We have Pod, Hoglander, Lind, and Woo. We aren't in desperate need for high end young players. Steal some more Euros in the 2nd and 3rd round. We'll live without this year's 1st. :ph34r:

No, you're right.  We're neither in need of new young talent immediately, nor are we likely to be in a great place to pay for them when their entry level contracts would end...

It will be a challenge to pay for EP, Hughes, Markstrom and Virtanen next year.  (Time to bribe somebody... lol. I'm think LE and the NHL for Luongo's mess.) 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Never been a fan of embellishment....but my point is it didn't "taint" the victory. The Russians were up two and couldn't close the deal.

If you're determined to put an asterisk beside the win, there's nothing I can do to stop you, but if we went by your criterion, there would be about a thousand asterisks out there.

• Cheers 1