The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. Russia | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2020 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

23 hours ago, xereau said:

Podz is worth watching this game alone.

I can't wait until he signs with this team.

Yep...  And actually, even if we lose but Pods does well and even scored the game winner against us I'd still come away stoked, another JB steal, and another reason the JT trade was a moot point as we already scored large on him and hogs, that boy has drive and you can't teach that, can take years to motivate via development but if it's already there then it just needs to be honed to a point and then look out... 

Looking forward to the depth we'll have soon and the fierce competition to get onto the roster.

Not quite there yet but this is all been a learning curve from mgmt to coaching to players so it'll happen.. just when and I think it's a general consensus it will get better gradually for the next few years but fun to watch getting there..

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

Just finished up watching the recorded game after work. What a f-ing crazy game eh? The emotional roller coaster of a Canada vs Russia medal game is always intense and today’s game was no different.

As for the controversy I think most people would agree after watching the replay the puck hitting the camera on its way out of the rink should have been a penalty. That said, it wasn’t called. Sometimes missed or bad calls happen, you just have to roll with what you’re given in any sport. If Russia didn’t give up a 2 goal lead they wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place. Bad refereeing is bad refereeing, but there’s nothing the players can do about that.

Many players of Team Canada will have this game, this tournament and this moment as the highlight of their hockey career. They played their hearts out all game and throughout the tournament. They deserve to celebrate earning a gold medal with Canadians cheering them on. Some people trying to take away from their efforts, saying the win was tainted because of a non call is shameful. There is no asterisk next to any gold medal.

Team Canada won gold, end of story.

:gocan:

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Just finished up watching the recorded game after work. What a f-ing crazy game eh? The emotional roller coaster of a Canada vs Russia medal game is always intense and today’s game was no different.

As for the controversy I think most people would agree after watching the replay the puck hitting the camera on its way out of the rink should have been a penalty. That said, it wasn’t called. Sometimes missed or bad calls happen, you just have to roll with what you’re given in any sport. If Russia didn’t give up a 2 goal lead they wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place. Bad refereeing is bad refereeing, but there’s nothing the players can do about that.

Many players of Team Canada will have this game, this tournament and this moment as the highlight of their hockey career. They played their hearts out all game and throughout the tournament. They deserve to celebrate earning a gold medal with Canadians cheering them on. Some people trying to take away from their efforts, saying the win was tainted because of a non call is shameful. There is no asterisk next to any gold medal.

Team Canada won gold, end of story.

:gocan:

Did you watch the post game?  There's a rule, which was followed, though I think most think it could have been overlooked and a penalty called.  Still, there is a rule.

4 hours ago, gameburn said:

Well put.

And those offside video replays... hard to put up with that.

Should be a rule: either the NHL deals with offside in 6 seconds or an appealing team has to.  Something.

A lot of the craziness in officiating is due to crazy rules, half of which are there because they want a visually pleasing game that increases scoring.  

Wait until China produces a 7 foot 4 inch goalie that literally fills every space in the net.  End of scoring.  They have to deal with net size and goalie equipment in my opinion.  A bigger ice surface should help with scoring if the nets are enlarged -- even 18 inches wider would help.

They should also look at much bigger arenas that have the potential to get 50 thousand fans in.  Would allow lower ticket prices and higher revenues.  Some of the European football clubs sell out at 75,000 fans every game.  Lets them sell tickets for 15 bucks lol.  And pay players 40 million a year.  

On Video reviews, It should not be slowed down frame by frame to see if it was offside or not and still take 10 minutes to determine

Let there be a video review from all angles, But at REAL time, if after looking at real time, it still isn't determined, then the call on the ice stands

Or Have a time for a 1 min review, If they cant determine after slo mo in that time, let's not split hairs and move on

I am sure with todays technology, they could put a microchip inside the puck, and even show the image of the puck in the glove while inside the net (something now that they wont rule on a lot of times if the complete glove is inside the line)

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Did you watch the post game?  There's a rule, which was followed, though I think most think it could have been overlooked and a penalty called.  Still, there is a rule.

Yes, I did. I saw Bob McKenzie talk about the rule on tv. To the average viewer though that should have been a penalty regardless of the rule. I thought it was going to get called. I fully admit it, we got lucky there imo, but that doesn’t take away from Canada coming back from being down 3-1 in the 3rd period. Sometimes games break your way, other times not. Bounces can go in and bounces can miss. Penalties can be called and can be missed. That’s hockey and that’s why we’re all fans of the game.

I mean if it was predictable which team would win at the start of every game who here would actually watch? The twists and turns build the emotions into a celebration or defeat. We don’t know which until after the game ends. May as well go along for the ride.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/5/2020 at 12:45 PM, debluvscanucks said:

So when the Canadians were experiencing the "botch", it was cool.

Fact is....it doesn't matter in the end.  Both teams had awful calls/decisions at times but one prevailed and didn't fall apart.  We had to kill 5 pp's in the first.  And...did.

It was a botched game .. plain and simple, the over the glass “delay of game” that hit the camera, the puck was already out of play and past the line of glass.. that’s why the referees called that penalty , which was subsequently, and wrongly overturned.

that would have had the Russian team playing against 3 Canadian forwards.

That was the biggest wrong.

the other head snap embellishments by primary Canadian players That DREW PENALTIES are ones that we should not be proud of.

those draw the Referees into making false calls.  The more this game gets skilled, the more embellishing and cheating it’s getting..

i for one am not proud of that win, or that game as a Canadian.  I like many of us here should be speaking up about all falsifying, embellishing, play. It will ruin the game.

the penalty for embellishment should be 4 mins. ... and I think referees should be able to review ALL of their calls in between periods, to be sure that a player isn’t goading a penalty, and trying to make a fool out of the referee. After an inbetween period review,   A four min penalty should be applied to the player who embellishes.

its NOT about evening out a previous penalty called.. it’s about Applying a  seriously deterrent to cheating and making a fool of a referee.  This game is going to degenerate if it continues..  I lost my flavour for World class Soccer/Football because of the same diving / cheating actors .

if the tables were turned you’d be screaming here Deb..  And the papers would be burning.. don’t go hypocritical on this point.

Edited by SilentSam

57 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It was a botched game .. plain and simple, the over the glass “delay of game” that hit the camera, the puck was already out of play and past the line of glass.. that’s why the referees called that penalty , which was subsequently, and wrongly overturned.

that would have had the Russian team playing against 3 Canadian forwards.

That was the biggest wrong.

the other head snap embellishments by primary Canadian players That DREW PENALTIES are ones that we should not be proud of.

those draw the Referees into making false calls.  The more this game gets skilled, the more embellishing and cheating it’s getting..

i for one am not proud of that win, or that game as a Canadian.  I like many of us here should be speaking up about all falsifying, embellishing, play. It will ruin the game.

the penalty for embellishment should be 4 mins. ... and I think referees should be able to review ALL of their calls in between periods, to be sure that a player isn’t goading a penalty, and trying to make a fool out of the referee. After an inbetween period review,   A four min penalty should be applied to the player who embellishes.

its NOT about evening out a previous penalty called.. it’s about Applying a  seriously deterrent to cheating and making a fool of a referee.  This game is going to degenerate if it continues..  I lost my flavour for World class Soccer/Football because of the same diving / cheating actors .

if the tables were turned you’d be screaming here Deb..  And the papers would be burning.. don’t go hypocritical on this point.

But the tables WERE turned at the beginning of the game and it all just evened out.

Hey, I don't disagree completely here...I hate the embellishing and prefer our guys to lead by example and integrity.   So that part, yes.  But the game was won, fair and square in relation to both sides having to deal with some stuff and it wasn't just the Canadians selling their case...they started using the tactic (too) when they saw it working during the 5 penalties they were assessed in the first.

I am proud of the team...after a blowout loss they had a lot on the line and were playing for pride....even IF one or two made use of the dramatics to even things out a bit.  They didn't buckle and kept at it...Hofer, in particular, really deserved that win.  

If it was one sided, sure...but it wasn't (by any means).

• Cheers 1

If that was evening out then I will leave you with your rose coloured glasses.

dig your patriotism Deb..  but like you said, if We are a team and country that should lead by example, ..  that’s embarrassing.. and the worst part is , if this becomes the new norm, a new template set where players make asses out off officials and the real way the game should be played.  If that’s a taste of the future of this game by players of this generation,  I soon will be losing interest. 

..Tit for Tat is playroom/ sandbox excuse to make wrongs right.. I’ll leave you there.

The IIHF, the NHL, and KHL need to realize that there is a pattern of unsportsmanlike behaviour that can not be tolerated in this sport.

It’s not necessarily the player instigating any more.. it’s becoming the player drawing attention by over reacting to create an advantage.

Edited by SilentSam

53 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If that was evening out then I will leave you with your rose coloured glasses.

dig your patriotism Deb..  but like you said, if We are a team and country that should lead by example, ..  that’s embarrassing.. and the worst part is , if this becomes the new norm, a new template set where players make asses out off officials and the real way the game should be played.  If that’s a taste of the future of this game by players of this generation,  I soon will be losing interest. 

..Tit for Tat is playroom/ sandbox excuse to make wrongs right.. I’ll leave you there.

The IIHF, the NHL, and KHL need to realize that there is a pattern of unsportsmanlike behaviour that can not be tolerated in this sport.

It’s not necessarily the player instigating any more.. it’s becoming the player drawing attention by over reacting to create an advantage.

This makes me think you missed the beginning of the game.  Or the call on Hayton.

Did you watch the entire game?  I'm sensing maybe you didn't.  Although I do slightly recall you being very "Rah rah Russia" all along?  I offer no apologies for loving my country and being proud of that win.  None.  If Russia had won, would you still be criticizing the game as botched?  I somehow don't feel you would have.  

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I mean, it’s no worse than this year’s. Arguably easier with Canada out of it. 

That's true eh

The groups have only gotten more competitive and I think that trend will continue. Its been exciting to see German and Swiss hockey grow into national teams that we need to take seriously

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This makes me think you missed the beginning of the game.  Or the call on Hayton.

Did you watch the entire game?  I'm sensing maybe you didn't.  Although I do slightly recall you being very "Rah rah Russia" all along?  I offer no apologies for loving my country and being proud of that win.  None.  If Russia had won, would you still be criticizing the game as botched?  I somehow don't feel you would have.  

Yes, watched the entire game.. for the love of the game, and to watch the new, upcoming, TALENT on both sides exude themselves in a fantastic sport.

Not really RAH Russian Deb, that’s your interpretation. . Although I really liked watching the Russian D man Romanov.. the Habs 2nd rnd pick last year.. and their goalkeeper.. and tried to keep a close eye on VPod.

I never really pick sides or even countries in this event, I just like to see the weaker countries get better every year.. all of them.

Domination can be boring.. and like the Swiss Coach said last year after they won a game against Canada (I beleive).. Canadians have the privilege of choosing from about 300, 000 ELIGIBLE players for the WJC,. And the Swiss might have 3000.. or something to that effect.

Canada dominated the game, even when the Russians were ahead,. But the Canadians couldn’t have finished without those botched disastrous turn of events that gave them advantage where it shouldn’t have been.

I would have said the same if the tables were turned.. a spade is a spade.

Thats were I keep an even keel..  that’s my love of the game Deb.. and it has only so much to do with my country. 

Im sure you love the game so much that your couch covers are Canadian Flags.. and that’s ok. :gocan:

11 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I mean, it’s no worse than this year’s. Arguably easier with Canada out of it. 

The groups for the next year are based on the final rankings.  It's always the same breakdown:  

1.......4, 5........8, 9....

...2, 3.......6, 7........10 (promoted team)