The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Carey Price to Vancouver

3 minutes ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

Poor Price feel bad for his situation...

Price has struggled through Montreal’s 2 losing streaks.  They’ve had a number of key injuries but he needs to be better. They’ve lost a lot of 1 goal games.  Montreal will be better next year. No need to pity Price 

16 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Price has struggled through Montreal’s 2 losing streaks.  They’ve had a number of key injuries but he needs to be better. They’ve lost a lot of 1 goal games.  Montreal will be better next year. No need to pity Price 

His past play doesn’t mean much to me at all;) there’s always room for improvements he not that old and in his prime. He definitely has the potential to step up his game. And play like a Vezina goal tender he is! Come on it’s Carey Price we’re talking bout here;) zero Pity here lolol if he’s around family and actually enjoying where he is playing. he will tear it the frick up! stand on his fricking head! play like he usually does:) Seattle will definitely be looking at acquiring Carey at expansion draft I’m sure... Montreal would expose price to open up cap space;) habs have Cayden Primeau he’s deadly tender;) they can use money for much more needed offence as well there defence situation... idk lol

Edited by KnuckleHead16

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Retain 50% of his cap hit, take Eriksson, and give us a couple of non lottery protected 1st round picks and I am all over that deal :)

I bet you are.  Montreal wouldnt touch it though 

Edited by qwijibo

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Why do we want to downgrade our goaltending?

How is it a downgrade? Demko will be there! No better goalie coach/player then Carey Price! Who still in his prime he still have 6 years of solid goaltending before he starts to slow down imho dont know what your thinking/smoking lol 

3 minutes ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

How is it a downgrade? Demko will be there! No better goalie coach/player then Carey Price! Who still in his prime he still have 6 years of solid goaltending before he starts to slow down imho dont know what your thinking/smoking lol 

At this point I like Markstrom at his salary more than Price at his salary. So to me, it's a downgrade.

Neither Price or Weber have any value without Montreal retaining a big chunk of their cap hit.  Honestly though, Price needs a full 50% retained to have any value at all.  Too long a term and too many dollars.  Doesn’t fit for us already having some young goalies in the system.

I would take Weber at 25-50% retained and give them a half decent return though.  He looks to be a useful player for a while and if you aren’t paying a big ticket it isn’t too hard to eat for the final couple of years if he doesn’t retire when his salary drops to nothing.  We can do a  Florida and hire him as a consultant which would badly screw Nashville.

He could look really good on a pairing with Hughes as well as a currently missing big shot from the point on a PP unit

Hughes-Weber

Edler-Myers

Juolevi/Benn-Tryamkin/Stecher

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Neither Price or Weber have any value without Montreal retaining a big chunk of their cap hit.  Honestly though, Price needs a full 50% retained to have any value at all.  Too long a term and too many dollars.  Doesn’t fit for us already having some young goalies in the system.

I would take Weber at 25-50% retained and give them a half decent return though.  He looks to be a useful player for a while and if you aren’t paying a big ticket it isn’t too hard to eat for the final couple of years if he doesn’t retire when his salary drops to nothing.  We can do a  Florida and hire him as a consultant which would badly screw Nashville.

He could look really good on a pairing with Hughes as well as a currently missing big shot from the point on a PP unit

Hughes-Weber

Edler-Myers

Juolevi/Benn-Tryamkin/Stecher

I don’t think Price is trade-able. But I disagree on Weber.  He’s still a top D in the league. Plays in all situations. Can QB a power play, is tough as nails and brings leadership.  At $8m he’s really not overpaid when you compare him to other top players.  Yes he’s 34 and his contract runs another 6 years past this season.  BUT the salary drops to $1m in 23/24. He’s likely to retire at that point.  The only team that really gets hurt  by his contract is Nashville.  

I’d argue he’s worth a haul to the right team even with no retention. 

There is literally no way Montreal retains 50% on his contract. Weber at $4m to the team getting him. Montreal wasting $4m in cap space for 6 years?  Montreal would need a huge return to do that. 

Edited by qwijibo

On 1/10/2020 at 2:57 PM, KnuckleHead16 said:

I know we’re having Cap issues and I don’t know exactly what we have in Habs favour as well. But I bet he love to come home play in BC he’d look so good in a Canucks uni! I’m thinking Boeser Markstrom for starters... they’ll prolly want more! What’s your guys options on the matter? Carey wants out obviously! I think he’ll be a complete brick wall here in Vancouver! Just my opinion on the matter:)

Gross.  If there was a downvote you would get it.

18 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Gross.  If there was a downvote you would get it.

If anything was gross. it is your downvote on something that could benefit the team;) we could give up Pearson 2nd Marky for Price and 25-40% retained salary;) 

Edited by KnuckleHead16
  • Wat 1

21 minutes ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

If anything was gross. it is your downvote on something that could benefit the team;) we could give up Pearson 2nd Marky for Price and 25-40% retained salary;) 

Not a chance that Montreal retains any substantial amount.  That would be 7 years of dead cap space.  Then they still need to pay a starting goalie. 

so let’s say they retained 40%. That’s $4.2 a year for 7 years.  Then say they pay a decent starter $5.5m.  That means they’re still paying $9.7m a year on a starting goalie.  I assume they’d rather just keep Price 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

Price simply is not worth 10 million per year and Montreal would not retain.  Ridiculous idea.

27 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Price simply is not worth 10 million per year and Montreal would not retain.  Ridiculous idea.

No goalie is worth that. Too risky. 

I don’t see teams signing goalies to monster deals like that after BOBROVSKY and Price. 

Montreal are not trading Price or Weber.  

From LeBrun in the Athletic (paywall):   As I reported on TSN’s “Insider Trading,” Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said firmly to me on Tuesday that he has zero intention of even entertaining the idea of trading either player, saying he would not even listen if teams called. The duo are important parts of the team moving forward as the youth movement continues to integrate itself and having veteran leadership from Weber and Price around those young players is extremely important.

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Montreal are not trading Price or Weber.  

From LeBrun in the Athletic (paywall):   As I reported on TSN’s “Insider Trading,” Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said firmly to me on Tuesday that he has zero intention of even entertaining the idea of trading either player, saying he would not even listen if teams called. The duo are important parts of the team moving forward as the youth movement continues to integrate itself and having veteran leadership from Weber and Price around those young players is extremely important.

:lol: gotta hand it to Bergevin, he's a master of BS. Helps that no one is actually calling. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:lol: gotta hand it to Bergevin, he's a master of BS. Helps that no one is actually calling. 

Different wording than on Subban.  As far as I remember he was never that categorical.  He simply said they are not shopping him.