The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

imo its not Boeser, that line is just a poor fit of players. Brock's GF% is great away from that line, nearly 60% but drops like a stone to 33% with it (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2019-10-02&td=2020-04-04&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478874&p2=8478444&p3=8474849&p4=0&p5=0)

When Jake is s with Rous and AG that lines GF% shoots up to 54,5%. Jakes speed and ability to carry the puck out of trouble really helped that line. But with Boeser its unable to do that and they get hemmed in a lot.

The success Jake is having with Miller is great, but its coming at a price of having a pretty ineffective 3rd line. Brock hasnt got a point yet with that line according to Dobber. That pairing of Rous and AG wasn't much of a 5 on 5 producer anyway and this move has just made it worse.

If Green must have Boeser on the 3rd line I hope he switches Sutter and Rousel, maybe Sutters more of a fit given his style? he can certainly help that line defensively and maybe get it more chances out of our zone. 

good info Jimmy.

I wonder if a third line that includes Ferland and Boeser would be an improvement.  

Pairing up Brock and Bo on the second line would probably work too since they have had success together before.  Problem is that it drops Loui to the bottom 6 and probably diminishes any goal scoring the bottom two lines would have even further.

• Cheers 2

What a game. Its hard not to get excited about how this team is coming together. Some quick thoughts here.

1 Demko was brilliant. No goalie controversy but the young man is making a good case for the crease also. JB will have to make a decision on what to do with him considering the ED. Hate to lose him for nothing.

2 Quinn Hughes had a tough start to that game, whether he was tired from the ASG or just struggled with the big fast Blues , he wasn't the dominating player. He got better as the game went on.

3 Brock looks lost on the third line. Green should play him with Bo if he isnt going to play with Petey and Miller. Gaudette is a shooter also. he doesn't distribute the puck the same way as Bo or Petey. Trading Brock makes no sense to me we just need to use him on the right line.

4  Loui? Loui is that you? WTF? This guy has floated for three seasons here and finally starts to work? nice to see the team get something out of him, finally.

5 As much as they get maligned, and i have kicked Edler myself over the past four years, when the bigger teams come to town its Edler and Myers that make the difference. Everyone got bumped around even them but it was nice to see them be able to withstand the Blues big body presence. Hughes took a couple hits and went flying once there for sure.

6 Beagle was worth whatever they paid him. Faceoffs are important, and he blocks shots like a warrior. Teaching the team to compete with whatever you have to give.

The only negative that worries me a bit is that we still don't retrieve pucks well in our own zone. Rebounds, pucks that miss the net, pucks that deflect off of sticks we still allow the other team to beat us to loose pucks in our end. It just keeps pressure on when we need to change lines etc.

Great game by our boys and if anyone told you they would be three points clear in first place in the division one game after the all star break after beating the Stanley cup champs for the second time this season, hmmmm...   i think you might take it. GCG.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Anyone arguing against having players like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Motte and Virtanen on the Canucks don't appreciate the different between regular season and playoff hockey.   JT Miller included for that matter.   When Sutter, Beagle are out of the lineup, for two examples, the Canucks play with a lead like it is live hand grenade.   EP40 and the other elite talented youngsters the Canucks have are key to winning and down the road will improve even more defensively but for now, their job is to get the team the lead and then watch how a lead is protected versus being out there playing hand grenades.

Very true, all anyone has to do is look at what happened last season when both Sutter and Beagle were out with injury, we went on a 13 game losing streak that didn't end until Beagle got back.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nice win but need to vent. Tough to watch NHL officiating when teams like the Blues, Bruins, past Kings teams, or whoever the sweetheart of the day is constantly getting away with interference and pick plays. I'm fine with it if all teams get away with it but they don't. Call the rules and penalties as they are and then maybe I can enjoy the games as they unfold. The Wings got away with it for years as well. Call the games the way their meant to be. Even.

Knowing past success, they're probably just playing in playoff mode, knowing those things don't typically get called.

3 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Knowing past success, they're probably just playing in playoff mode, knowing those things don't typically get called.

Maybe. But what bugs me is if the Canucks play that way it will get called. We seldom get away with that kind of game.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The crowd WAS Luuuuing.  It was glorious.

Also, haven't read the thread (yet), but some are complaining about Boeser?  Here's some perspective...another true "team" guy who doesn't let ego get in the way as some here likely would:

It's not JUST about scoring...and the fact that TG has these guys focusing on being "complete" players who, when moved, understand the why's behind that and don't view it as a demotion or pout and whine shows he's an awesome coach with players of character in his room.  They adapt and that's huge.

Also (not my pic, from the gallery)...just love this.

image.png

Brock is getting some Jake treatment from Green.  In absolute fairness, he is our most one dimensional offensive player.   He wasn't groomed in the minors, he went straight to the NHL 1st line from College.  

I do think he should skate with Bo and Pearson.  Or even drop Pearson down with Gaudette for a spell.  Until we lose Eriksson, getting more of a setup guy would be hard.  I do think if he was with Bo and Loui, they would be looking to use his shoot while easily being able to cover off any huge defensive lapses.  

Plus, at this point, Loui may never score again, but he can dish the puck and maybe that's all he should be doing.  

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What??  

The Canucks played a good game......weird take imo.

I am usually positive with the Canucks, but tonight just wasn’t it.  They came out very sloppy and the puck barely left their zone in the third period.  Really deserved to lose that one.  Hopefully that is just a one off and we get good again

53 minutes ago, Darius said:

good info Jimmy.

I wonder if a third line that includes Ferland and Boeser would be an improvement.  

Pairing up Brock and Bo on the second line would probably work too since they have had success together before.  Problem is that it drops Loui to the bottom 6 and probably diminishes any goal scoring the bottom two lines would have even further.

Ferland certainly might be able to help. Jake gave that 3rd line a good motor - maybe even trying Motte on the 3rd line would help? Rotating Roussel for Sutter or Motte wouldn't hurt to try, particularly on the road. 

The upshot of the stats I posted are they show how much Jake has matured as a player. He's been great on the 3rd line, not just eye test either, and he's not out of place at all on the top line. Just have to sort out the 3rd line now and not take away a great weapon in Boeser while you do it. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I am usually positive with the Canucks, but tonight just wasn’t it.  They came out very sloppy and the puck barely left their zone in the third period.  Really deserved to lose that one.  Hopefully that is just a one off and we get good again

You realize they were not playing Detroit do you?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

If the Canucks can get healthy and into the playoffs, I really like their chances. 

A healthy Canucks team is well suited for playoff hockey, IMO. 

Missed the game with work, but happy to see a continuation of the success story that Jake has been writing this season, plus several others. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ferland certainly might be able to help. Jake gave that 3rd line a good motor - maybe even trying Motte on the 3rd line would help? Rotating Roussel for Sutter or Motte wouldn't hurt to try, particularly on the road. 

The upshot of the stats I posted are they show how much Jake has matured as a player. He's been great on the 3rd line, not just eye test either, and he's not out of place at all on the top line. Just have to sort out the 3rd line now and not take away a great weapon in Boeser while you do it. 

There were several plays last night where Jake looked like a completely different player in the offensive zone than he did last year.  His defensive game has been improving incrementally since year one, but the way he has stepped up his game in the O zone is remarkable.  Holding on to the puck, making the right short pass,  protecting the puck on the boards and then making the smart play...I cant remember too many Canuck players that have taken such a leap in the past.  This looks like the real deal.

Regarding BB :  if this team is to have any success in the playoffs they need both BB and Jake going.  They also need a third line that isnt pummeled in its own zone.  Part of me thinks that BB has been purposely sent to school on the third line.  Its like a semester of defensive training to improve his overall game.  Gaud has some weaknesses as a C and this puts BB in a position of learning how to play on the ropes with less talented players.  Rounding out his game is a good long term strategy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Don't forget Leivo should be back within a few weeks (1.5 month recovery projection). Would love to see a Leivo-Gaudette-Boeser line. I'm loving our depth.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1