The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

On 2/17/2020 at 5:21 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

He's a rental. I'd give up a good prospect but Madden wouldn't have been at the top of my list. 

Sounds like Madden was the consolation prize. Friedman was saying the initial ask was Hoglander or Podkolzin, which would have been a terrible move. 

As far as "rental" or not we just don't know, but at least Toffoli gets to experience the team for a while. It might be a blessing, if he's not a fit maybe we avoid a free agency bungle too. Or he's a great fit and loves it here. Just have to let it play out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Anyone thinking/wanting Benning fired is out to lunch. How can you not see the GM skills he has. His drafting alone is enough to keep him. Add to the fact hes willing to make these kind of moves for playoffs should excite you. 

Toffoli is in his prime and has been a thorn in our side for years. Then you have the homerun Miller trade. This guy has good eye for talent and opportunity.. YOU DONT FIRE A GUY LIKE THIS. Who cares if we missed the playoffs. Atleast he did his best and I can live with the result good or bad

This! Spot on! I swear so many fans / media have bi polar tendencies, are ignorant and have constant underlying negativity! Sad!! Just can't see anything positive / enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Me_ said:

So there are roughly 713 players in the NHL.

How many wives control their man’s balls like this?

Pronger’s wife? That doesn’t even count. It’s Deadmonton. 

Who else? A couple more that we know of?

Miller’s wife? He still spent three seasons with the Canucks...

I know of only two I can name and two or three I many have known but forgot. So let’s say 10 controlling wives. Let’s say there are 10 wives that hold their man by the balls.

That’s 1.4% of players. That’s 1.4% chance Toffoli doesn’t sign with the Canucks because of his wife.

Solid math.

im looking for a tutor.

we’ll talk.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Do you really believe that JB and company would give up a 2nd round pick, a conditional pick AND a blue chip prospect like Madden if they were just looking for a rental or thought Toffoli wouldn't resign here??? We're not privy to all the back channel discussions that must have occurred for this deal to go down.

You can take it to the bank....Toffoli is NOT a rental! JB will get his name on a contract sooner than later. Now that Toffoli is here, he ain't goin' anywhere!

While I like the idea that he is going to sign because I think we need a top two right winger, I am not sure where the cap comes from.

Even assuming that Ferland's career is over and we let Leivo walk.

We may be able to sign two of Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli but unlikely all three.  If Tryamkin comes in it may not even make two possible.

I don't subscribe to the magical thinking on this board that Loui will get his bonus and just walk away and doubt we can find a taker on Baerschi (though Arizona could actually use him).

• Upvote 1

Just throwing this out there to people with cap concerns and signing current players.

we have edler and Tanev with d in the pipe.

at some point to we cut the chord with Tanev if necessary to make it work?

do we need Tanev and edler at their age?  I think this team survives just fine with one.

Just now, riffraff said:

Just throwing this out there to people with cap concerns and signing current players.

we have edler and Tanev with d in the pipe.

at some point to we cut the chord with Tanev if necessary to make it work?

do we need Tanev and edler at their age?  I think this team survives just fine with one.

I’m thinking Tanev is the odd man out. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It might be a blessing, if he's not a fit maybe we avoid a free agency bungle too. Or he's a great fit and loves it here. Just have to let it play out. 

This! We can see how he performs on our team then make a decision. Where if we got him in Free Agency probably over pay and not sure exactly how he’d fit. A lot less risk when he’s been on the team already 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Keep Stecher then?  

Please no. Stetcher has no place on this team if we actually want to be a contender anytime soon. At best he should be a 7th man. 

Nothing personal, he's got great work ethic but isn't really elite at anything, undersized and doesnt provide any grit or intimidation necessary for playoff hockey. Any team that looks at our d right now is laughing, zero fear. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Keep Stecher then?  

Stecher is a 6/7 on every team in the league, undersized, and is about as easy to replace as anybody. The Canucks have 3 defenceman in Utica alone that can fill his void alone. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kushman said:

Please no. Stetcher has no place on this team if we actually want to be a contender anytime soon. At best he should be a 7th man. 

Nothing personal, he's got great work ethic but isn't really elite at anything, undersized and doesnt provide any grit or intimidation necessary for playoff hockey. Any team that looks at our d right now is laughing, zero fear. 

I 100% agree, but if we’re letting Tanev walk, who plays those minutes?  Is Rafferty ready?  

• Cheers 1