The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Matt Dumba after we deal Boeser for him ;)

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about the possibility of dealing brock to the wild. I'd hate to see him go but we would get a kings ransom for him I bet, especially from them.

I would be looking at Kaprizoff + instead of Dumba though. I think Dumba is untouchable for them.

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Soooooooo

tim schaller

1st rounder

2nd rounder 2020

3rd rounder 2019

tyler madden

marek marazek

for

jt miller

tyler toffoli

What you boys think?  

Jb did say he wanted wingers and he did that.  Unfortunately toffili is ufa and a pure rental.

Love how you assume there's no chance for him to re-sign

I don't think JB does this trade without at least thinking TT has a chance to re-sign here

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Soooooooo

tim schaller

1st rounder

2nd rounder 2020

3rd rounder 2019

tyler madden

marek marazek

for

jt miller

tyler toffoli

What you boys think?  

Jb did say he wanted wingers and he did that.  Unfortunately toffili is ufa and a pure rental.

Add Pearson which cost:

McCann and a second and a fourth.

1 minute ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I was talking to a buddy yesterday about the possibility of dealing brock to the wild. I'd hate to see him go but we would get a kings ransom for him I bet, especially from them.

I would be looking at Kaprizoff + instead of Dumba though. I think Dumba is untouchable for them.

I don’t think so. The Wild are aging and need young forwards who can score. Boeser is a hometown kid who they can sell. Dumba is having a bad year and his value won’t be any lower than it will be this offseason IMO. 

Having taken a couple days to fully think over the trade, Im fully on board with it.

The price was high, but that's the market right now and toffoli is a proven player still in his prime. With boeser out for the rest of the season, this was a necessary move to keep the playoff dreams alive. Madden might turn out to be a great player, and that's fine. You have to give up quality to get quality. Seems like alot of posters here would like us to get these deals without giving up anything of value... As if benning could just package up a bunch of busts and hope the other team accepts simply because there are multiple pieces in the deal. If it were hoglander or podkolzin i would have been pissed, but Madden I'm okay with seeing how our centres seem to be set for the future and even as a winger he's severely undersized and this is a team that has had enough issues of being pushed around. Even if Madden excels in the nhl during the regular season ala Johnny Gaudreau, it's the playoffs that matter (thats where little Johnny consistently disappears). 

Toffoli has always been a huge canuck killer, playing against him always reminded me of playing the old avs team where you knew either tanguay or hejduk was gonna light us up.. Glad to have him as part of the good guys for a change. Would not be surprised if he lights it up and wants to stick around for whats building here. Benning said they'll look to make decisions and move guys around by the draft, so I trust he has a plan to fit him in for the future. Only way this trade is bad is if tofolli walks in the summer and we don't even make playoffs, but I don't mind the risk if it means our young guys get a taste of what real nhl hockey is about.

11 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I hope that your crystal ball is not working.

Instead of trading for Simmonds the Canucks should give Mac more ice time.

If anything the Canucks should see if they can improve the blue line.

A wise man once said, if you can get to the dance, and get great goaltending (Marky), then your chances of winning the Cup are as good as anybody else’s. 

GCG :gocan:

Simmons is not the solution....JB, if he trades for him, will be reverting back to his Brandon Prust days.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I 100% agree, but if we’re letting Tanev walk, who plays those minutes?  Is Rafferty ready?  

I dont necessarily think tanev walks (and thats no pun intended considering his injury history :bigblush:) him playing with Hughes may have got him a few more years here as this has been healthiest we've seen him. I think they bring in tryamkin either by the end of this season or start of next to replace stetcher.. Then someone from.the farm (juolevi or Rafferty) make a push for a spot as well(benns or fantenbergs)

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Keep Stecher then?  

One of the two isn't coming back.

Reasons:

• both are impending UFAs who will need new contracts, both most likely looking for raises
  • too many prospects knocking on the door (Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi)
  • both are extremely smart defensemen, but neither are physically imposing (which is still a problem for the team), and
  • with Pettersson and Hughes contracts coming up, and the need to re-sign Markstrom, cap space will be needed.

The Canucks defense is still an issue, even with the signings of Myers and Benn. Tyler Myers has been far more effective than Benn though. His presence has allowed for minutes to be spread far more evenly than they've been in previous years, he possesses great speed and skill for a man of his stature. He also has taken it upon himself to step in and defend Pettersson. Myers is a strong addition. Benn has shown glimpses of strength and truculence, but has also shown poor play in his own end that's resulted in him sitting over Oscar Fantenberg.

The Canucks have solved the issue of offense and point production from the blueline with the ascension of Quinn Hughes, who is nothing short of a revelation. He is awesome.

Edler is signed for this and next season and should continue to provide a steadying veteran presence.

Regarding the two impending UFAs on the blueline, both have pros and cons to their game.

Tanev:

Pros:

• one of the most cerebral defensive defenseman in the league who uses his intelligence to gain position on the opposition, and whose calm demeanor allows him to move the puck up ice effectively
  • is clearly providing effective support for Hughes as his primary linemate
  • his pro career up to this point has only been with the Canucks

Cons:

• doesn't possess great size or physical strength to clear the crease of larger forwards
  • has a sizeable injury history
  • could be looking for a potentially significant increase in salary

Stecher:

Pros:

• plays a solid, responsible game
  • local guy who plays with heart

Cons:

• very small defenseman who regularly gets overpowered by larger forwards
  • doesn't possess a consistent offensive output to compensate for his lack of size
  • could be looking for an increase in salary

Out of the two, Tanev is far more valuable to the team purely based on his notable defensive acumen and clearly effective partnership (mentoring) of Hughes. I would think that of the players to be re-signed outside of Markstrom, Tanev is a priority. Stecher, while a local kid done well, offers nothing that can't be replaced. For that reason, I think he'll be traded before he makes it to free agency.

There is also possibility that both are traded (for picks most likely), with a defenseman coming back in one of the trades, and both Benn and Fantenberg taking spots on the roster. I would think though that Benn would be traded before that happens.

Blah, blah, frickin blah.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Soooooooo

tim schaller

1st rounder

2nd rounder 2020

3rd rounder 2019

tyler madden

marek marazek

for

jt miller

tyler toffoli

What you boys think?  

And what are those assets we traded doing right now compared to Miller and Toffoli? Also we traded no such player named Marek Marazek. 

21 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Kaprisov is more untouchable than Dumba.  They want a C1 for Dumba though.  They have plenty of wingers but no one to set them up.  Boeser would have trouble succeeding in Minnesota - no elite playmaker like Pettersson and too little speed in their lineup.  He’s too slow of a skater to carry Staal, Parise etc. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Kaprisov is more untouchable than Dumba.  They want a C1 for Dumba though.  They have plenty of wingers but no one to set them up.  Boeser would have trouble succeeding in Minnesota - no elite playmaker like Pettersson and too little speed in their lineup.  He’s too slow of a skater to carry Staal, Parise etc. 

Boeser drives play on whatever line he’s on.  

Wild are screwed with three anchor contracts, and will suffer for a decade.

Dumba’s value is able to get a guy like Drouin.  

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One of the two isn't coming back.

Reasons:

• both are impending UFAs who will need new contracts, both most likely looking for raises
  • too many prospects knocking on the door (Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi)
  • both are extremely smart defensemen, but neither are physically imposing (which is still a problem for the team), and
  • with Pettersson and Hughes contracts coming up, and the need to re-sign Markstrom, cap space will be needed.

The Canucks defense is still an issue, even with the signings of Myers and Benn. Tyler Myers has been far more effective than Benn though. His presence has allowed for minutes to be spread far more evenly than they've been in previous years, he possesses great speed and skill for a man of his stature. He also has taken it upon himself to step in and defend Pettersson. Myers is a strong addition. Benn has shown glimpses of strength and truculence, but has also shown poor play in his own end that's resulted in him sitting over Oscar Fantenberg.

The Canucks have solved the issue of offense and point production from the blueline with the ascension of Quinn Hughes, who is nothing short of a revelation. He is awesome.

Edler is signed for this and next season and should continue to provide a steadying veteran presence.

Regarding the two impending UFAs on the blueline, both have pros and cons to their game.

Tanev:

Pros:

• one of the most cerebral defensive defenseman in the league who uses his intelligence to gain position on the opposition, and whose calm demeanor allows him to move the puck up ice effectively
  • is clearly providing effective support for Hughes as his primary linemate
  • his pro career up to this point has only been with the Canucks

Cons:

• doesn't possess great size or physical strength to clear the crease of larger forwards
  • has a sizeable injury history
  • could be looking for a potentially significant increase in salary

Stecher:

Pros:

• plays a solid, responsible game
  • local guy who plays with heart

Cons:

• very small defenseman who regularly gets overpowered by larger forwards
  • doesn't possess a consistent offensive output to compensate for his lack of size
  • could be looking for an increase in salary

Out of the two, Tanev is far more valuable to the team purely based on his notable defensive acumen and clearly effective partnership (mentoring) of Hughes. I would think that of the players to be re-signed outside of Markstrom, Tanev is a priority. Stecher, while a local kid done well, offers nothing that can't be replaced. For that reason, I think he'll be traded before he makes it to free agency.

There is also possibility that both are traded (for picks most likely), with a defenseman coming back in one of the trades, and both Benn and Fantenberg taking spots on the roster. I would think though that Benn would be traded before that happens.

Blah, blah, frickin blah.

We should resign Tanev, let Fantenberg walk, trade Benn, and Stecher is an RFA, so we could trade his rights after the season is over for a pick before the draft. Sign Tryamkin (assuming all the talk isn't just a mirage), promote a couple d from Utica for 6/7th spots, imo.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Matt Dumba after we deal Boeser for him ;)

Dumba needs a Tanev to succeed.  In Minnesota he played either with Suter and now Brodin.  Dumba can be an adventure in his own end.  He needs a strong D partner to cover for him. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser drives play on whatever line he’s on.  

Wild are screwed with three anchor contracts, and will suffer for a decade.

Dumba’s value is able to get a guy like Drouin.  

He looked mostly inefficient playing with Gaudette.  

• Cheers 1