The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

The price is steep especially if this is just a rental, but Toffoli is a really good goal scorer coming off a couple under performing years. I remember an interview before the season two years ago, where he said his aim was to score 40 goals that season. 

And we could definitely afford to give up Madden.  We are prospect rich.

iMO Madden was not signing with us anyway.  He’s not stupid and can clearly see we have three young and really good centres ahead of him on the team.  Plus, he’s got to get a lot heavier before he makes the NHL.  Staying in school while he physically develops allows him to get to that ?UFA status, where he can pick a team that has more chance for him to get a top 9 centre role.  With the Kings (and fir sure the talked to him before this trade) he’s got a good chance to get a spot next season, or the one after.  Here, he had zero chance, and would have stayed in school until a UFA.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why would we resign him though?  He’s 28, so really doesn’t fit with our young core, does he?  IMO we shouldn’t resign him.  We have Bess and Jake here, and Lind and Podz coming. 

It's called scoring depth and hopefully the final winger for Bo.  Previously thought to be Miller but he gelled so well with Petey.  Ferland hasn't play significant games with Canucks so he's out.  Brock and Virtanen can fill the roles, but we haven't seen them play an extended time with Bo.  LE has worked but not a long term solution.  I think Toffoli will fit the bill as he's supposedly a 2 way player that plays PP and PK. 

Lind and Podz are progressing well but you can't pencil them in until they get here.

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

but how does the team even afford Toffoli, what if he doesn't sign here? How can McCann be ignored, he is a key center on the cup contender. Maybe equivalent to the same position Miller played on Tampa and he is 23 with 31 points, Miller had similar numbers with Tampa.

Jake has 32 points. 

Just now, BPA said:

It's called scoring depth and hopefully the final winger for Bo.  Previously thought to be Miller but he gelled so well with Petey.  Ferland hasn't play significant games with Canucks so he's out.  Brock and Virtanen can fill the roles, but we haven't seen them play an extended time with Bo.  LE has worked but not a long term solution.  I think Toffoli will fit the bill as he's supposedly a 2 way player that plays PP and PK. 

Lind and Podz are progressing well but you can't pencil them in until they get here.

Podz is already a top six winger on our team.  In two years he will be our best winger.  Lind will be here next season or fire sure the one after.  Tofoli will be 30, and being paid 5 plus to play in our bottom six and PK.  I like Tofoli as a rental, but don’t think it’s smart fir our cap to resign him.  

13 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’d prefer NO TDL deals.....it’s bad dumb desperate GMing.

Bad dumb desperate lol that’s fun to say.

well Ferlands career may be done. We wanted a winger for Bo and with Boeser out we def need a player.

hes a bonafide top 6 guy. Leading goal scorer on LA, a crap team. He’s won a cup, has chemistry with pearson, Can play all special teams and is a great age for our current group.

i will be very surprised if we don’t resign him.

dont get yourself to worked up as the chance of this working out for us is a lot better than it not.

be happy we have a complete top 6 where all are capable of 25+ goals.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Seriously get Jimbo off the phone as a Negotiator......hire a Agent to Negotiate....have Jimbo do final sign off.

Interesting idea.  Wasn’t Gillis an agent before he was our GM?  I think his rentals were crap.  

How about getting Bracket more involved in the trades?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Podz is already a top six winger on our team.  In two years he will be our best winger.  Lind will be here next season or fire sure the one after.  Tofoli will be 30, and being paid 5 plus to play in our bottom six and PK.  I like Tofoli as a rental, but don’t think it’s smart fir our cap to resign him.  

So he’d be a cheaper more productive and more useful Loui because if someone got hurt you could slide him up the lineup and know it would help you.

I can dig forward depth like that, especially if the top tier players like EP decide to take a couple mil less on the number they get to write on the piece of paper that facilitates the team getting depth like that, rather than go full oilers defence. Or full leafs defence. 

I like the deal. Basically a 2nd and a 3rd for Toffoli and a cap dump of Schaller, with a 4th in 2 years if Toffoli re-signs... Thats what assets are for, meant to be used.

• Cheers 1

Just now, brownky said:

So he’d be a cheaper more productive and more useful Loui because if someone got hurt you could slide him up the lineup and know it would help you.

I can dig forward depth like that, especially if the top tier players like EP decide to take a couple mil less on the number they get to write on the piece of paper that facilitates the team getting depth like that, rather than go full oilers defence. Or full leafs defence. 

I like the deal. Basically a 2nd and a 3rd for Toffoli and a cap dump of Schaller, with a 4th in 2 years if Toffoli re-signs... Thats what assets are for, meant to be used.

I like the deal too, providing he’s only a rental.  With our top guys getting paid big cap dollars, we need ELC players filling the support roles. 

4 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

And just like with the Miller trade you along with most of CDC will be surprised again when Toffoli ends up “over-achieving” what his points/play level was like prior and does really well here. People will be more shocked after Toffoli re-signs with us. I’ve seen enough Jim Benning trades to know even if I feel iffy on it at the time he knows what he’s doing more then me and things will likely either a) workout great for us or b) not cost us anything after a wrong move. Wait and see what he does here, you’ll be happy.

In Benning we trust.  Miller, Pearson, Myers, Fattenburg, Benn, Sutter, Eriksson, Rousell, Beagle and now Tiffoli. That's alot of veteran help for the young guns to be supported by.  

Boeser is out for 3 weeks.  So he will be back in time for the final stretch of games.  This team is in a precarious position.  With Brock out, they needed a shot in the arm.  Tiffoli was just named player of the week, so hopefully he can provide a boost a d some chemistry with either Bo or Petey.  

Interesting idea.  Wasn’t Gillis an agent before he was our GM?  I think his rentals were crap.  

How about getting Bracket more involved in the trades?  

Brackett: There's a player in the late 2nd that may possibly be available that I want to draft. Don't you dare trade that 2nd round pick Benning!

I don't believe Podz will slide right into a top 6 RW spot. They may want to get him in the lineup first, time spent in the bottom 6 until he proves he can play in this league. He'll eventually move up, but I think they'll be patient with him to start. Could be 2-3 years before we see Lind and Podz in the Top 6. Until then, Toffoli will fill in nicely.

2021/22?

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Virtanen - Gaudette - Podkolzin

Ferland? - MacEwen - Lind

Focht

ouch..JB on the radio saying Brock may be out for the year.

This was a trade to replace BB.....

EDIT: JB saying that he wanted to send a clear message to the team that they want to compete to make the playoffs even with BB getting injured.

EDIT2: JB saying that he felt that the prospect pool was deep enough at forward to be able to afford giving up madden.

Edited by Darius
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So you rather not have a top 6 winger until Podz shows up in 2 years?

Pretty sure JB wants Vancouver to make the playoffs

• Cheers 2