The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 10, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

The thought that Jeff Patterson could somehow jinx us by posting stats or with any of his so called journalism is absolutely ridiculous. That being said, I am completely on board and I hate him. 

My response was half joking half just want to give it to JP for constantly trying to undermine the team by picking out specific stats to cause panic and stir the pot among the fan base.

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

First of all, we’ve been giving up 40+ shots for most of the season, and it hasn’t really bit us in the behind as much as some would claim. We’ve actually won a fair number of games while being heavily outshot. Maybe the quality of shot is actually pretty low, I’m sure the advanced stats are there to be analyzed.

As for the game last night, the ONLY reason that NY had so many shots (Especially in the 3rd) and we had so little is that the islanders literally got away with everything. They interfered and slowed down our forecheck and dump and chase (which was terrific all game), by setting clear picks, enabling them to retrieve the puck with ease, and move it up the ice quickly. 

I hate blaming the refs, but that was the worst reffed game I’ve ever witnessed in my life. I’ve been watching hockey religiously since 2003-2004. Tonight was the most embarrassing zebra performance. They wanted the islanders to bump their slump. It was so obvious. 

Yes we won a bunch of games giving up 40+ but at the same time most goalies are avg a little better than 1 goal every 11 12 shots.. I dont think it's the way to go with demko considering hes been good and bad of late. What works for 1 goalie doesnt always work for another. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

We trade for TT and visions of Parayko appear on some fans horizon.   Yeah we should give up on a guy that scored at a 40 goal pace as a rookie as was the Calder runner up.  Maybe St Louis should give up on theirs too.  Boeser will be fine - not much different then Tarasenko once he finds his grove and stays healthy - a game changer and streaky.  He's part of our young core and a weapon at that.  A few more off seasons and some man strength will change everything for him.  Wouldn't at all surprise me if he gets 50 in his prime.  Even a reduced BB was fourth in scoring league wide when he went down for R wingers.   Perhaps Neal would be better? Ha ha.  Unless the return was a treasure trove (like the Butcher deal for Mommesso - Ronning - Courtnal) forget about it and it should'nt be done.  Cool with adding TT, but not if it means BB is going somewhere else, and not if he's paid more then Miller.  He hasn't earned that.  

Baertschi will be bought out

Sutter will be moved for a late pick

LE will be moved with a significant add

We will be able to get Toffoli locked up without losing a key piece.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Yes we won a bunch of games giving up 40+ but at the same time most goalies are avg a little better than 1 goal every 11 12 shots.. I dont think it's the way to go with demko considering hes been good and bad of late. What works for 1 goalie doesnt always work for another. 

I’m just saying people focus way too much on that stat... i couldn’t care less how many low percentage shots we face in one game. All i know is we usually win in the high scoring chance department. 

21 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

They will find a way to keep Toffoli especially with the cap going up.  He completes the top six and the only thing that will change that is when Podz and Hogz challenge for top 6 which is likely a couple years away.

Coronavirus is going to take care of the salary cap rise.  Unfortunately this pandemic is going to ruin the Canucks chances of signing Toffoli.