The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "All Canuck All Star Team!"

Rate this topic

NexusRift

Just for fun..............

Some buddies and I got to discussing about an All Star Canuck team built for success in playoffs and possibly SC champ worthy. But only original Canucks. 

Needless to say, it seemed easy at first, and then got tougher. Especially when it came to goalies. 

So here's the stinky cheese............

-  Any players from expansion on up, 

-  Drafted by the Canucks,

-  Un-drafted free agents

-  College players 

-  Euro league players

-  Prospects via Trades, but only if they never played for other NHL teams.

I guess the College and Euro players would be Un-drafted free agents, but I put 'em in anyways.

so...........................We'll start with: 

-   Goalie tandem

-   3 D-men pairings

-   4 Forward lines.

I'll start.

-  Goalies: Cory Schneider/Glen Hanlon

-  D-men: Hughes/Ohlund

: Edler/Bob Daily

: Didick/Juice

- Forwards: Twins/Burr

: Linden/Bure/Kess

: Petey/Larionov/Tanti

: Smyl/Peca/Hansen

Your turn.......................

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Butcher

Ohlund-Bieksa

Sedin-Sedin-Linden

Neely-Pettersson-Bure

Krutov-Larionov-Vaive

Burrows-Peca-Kesler

Schnieder

Hanlon

Spares: Horvat, Lidster

I'm counting what players did elsewhere.  I also tried to take chemistry into account, with a shutdown unit for the 4th line.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NexusRift said:

Some buddies and I got to discussing about an All Star Canuck team built for success in playoffs and possibly SC champ worthy. But only original Canucks. 

Needless to say, it seemed easy at first, and then got tougher. Especially when it came to goalies. 

-  College players 

-  Euro league players

I guess the College and Euro players would be Un-drafted free agents, but I put 'em in anyways.

-   Goalie tandem

-   3 D-men pairings

-   4 Forward lines.

I'll start.

Smyl Linden Bure

Sedin Sedin Neely

Gradin Kesler Rick Vaive

Larionov Petterson Peca

Hughes Snepsts

Ohlund Lidster

Bieksa Butcher

Hanlon / Schneider

If what they did elsewhere doesn't count, I'll replace Vaive and Neely with Burrows and Lever.  Ververgaert not far behind.

If we can count guys we drafted that never played for us...  I'll add Mike Rogers and maybe Dirk Graham to the forward lineup.

Dale Tallon is close to making it on D.  As well as other quality guys like Edler, Dailey, etc.

I also have to really consider Krutov if we get CCCP version instead of huffing and puffing version.

Under your own criteria, Tanti's not eligible for playing 2 games for Chicago.  If he is eligible, I want Richard Brodeur in net (played 2 games for the Islanders first).

Diduck isn't really eligible either, is he?  He was well established before joining us.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Under your own criteria, Tanti's not eligible for playing 2 games for Chicago.  If he is eligible, I want Richard Brodeur in net (played 2 games for the Islanders first).

Diduck isn't really eligible either, is he?  He was well established before joining us.

I forgot about Tanti in Chicago. And I truly thought Diduck was ours. But upon a search, you're correct on both counts. 

In that case.....

D-men  : Hughes/Ohlund

: Edler/Lidster

: Bob Daily/Juice

Forwards  : Twins/Burr

: Petey/Larionov/Ververgaert

That works, eh.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Butcher

Ohlund-Bieksa

Sedin-Sedin-Linden

Neely-Pettersson-Bure

Krutov-Larionov-Vaive

Burrows-Peca-Kesler

Schnieder

Hanlon

Spares: Horvat, Lidster

I'm counting what players did elsewhere.  I also tried to take chemistry into account, with a shutdown unit for the 4th line.

Putting Linden with the twins is a gangster move!  Love it!  The big right hand shot with speed that they always wanted.  Can step in and win faceoffs and is awesome defensively so they basically always have the puck.  Didn't they play together on the PP for a bit when Linden was older?  I seem to remember them being good together even with an older version of Linden.

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Putting Linden with the twins is a gangster move!  Love it!  The big right hand shot with speed that they always wanted.  Can step in and win faceoffs and is awesome defensively so they basically always have the puck.  Didn't they play together on the PP for a bit when Linden was older?  I seem to remember them being good together even with an older version of Linden.

He definitely played with them a bit under Crow.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NexusRift said:

-  College players 

-  Euro league players

-   Goalie tandem

-   3 D-men pairings

-   4 Forward lines.

I'll start.

Diduck was a first round pick by NYI - and played with them and the Canadians for a couple years each before becoming a Canuck... I remembered this because he earned a reputation as a tough customer before we got him ... nice pick though... switch him with Tallon and your team should remain fine .. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Smyl Linden Bure

Sedin Sedin Neely

Gradin Kesler Rick Vaive

Larionov Petterson Peca

Hughes Snepsts

Ohlund Lidster

Bieksa Butcher

Hanlon / Schneider

If what they did elsewhere doesn't count, I'll replace Vaive and Neely with Burrows and Lever.  Ververgaert not far behind.

If we can count guys we drafted that never played for us...  I'll add Mike Rogers and maybe Dirk Graham to the forward lineup.

Dale Tallon is close to making it on D.  As well as other quality guys like Edler, Dailey, etc.

I also have to really consider Krutov if we get CCCP version instead of huffing and puffing version.

I figured Tanti is fair game given 2 games would still be considered a prospect and heck we gave up Fraser for him...a worthy fourth line consideration himself ..but yes on Diduck..great looking team - edit: I cant think of a better one really.  Snepsts, Bieksa, Butcher and Neely keeps that team safe and it’s loaded with leadership and star-power and toughness. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

D. Sedin H. Sedin Neely

Lever Pettersson Bure

Kesler Linden Smyl

Boudrias Horvat Burrows

Ohlund Hughes

Tallon Edler

Bieksa Snepsts

Hanlon

Schneider

Edited by Wilbur
  • Cheers 2

No love for Troy Gamble or Mike Fountain? :lol:

Kinda sad than Schneider and Hanlon are the clear cut best tandem we have available from half a century of drafting.

No disrespect intended to either. They were both good netminders in their primes.

But hopefully Demko and DiPietro can make the decision a bit more interesting in a few years.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Kinda sad than Schneider and Hanlon are the clear cut best tandem we have available from half a century of drafting.

No disrespect intended to either. They were both good netminders in their primes.

But hopefully Demko and DiPietro can make the decision a bit more interesting in a few years.

I remember when Corey Hirsch was supposed to give McLean a battle for the #1 job.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NexusRift said:

I forgot about Tanti in Chicago. And I truly thought Diduck was ours. But upon a search, you're correct on both counts.

Diduck was another one of Pat Quinn's magic moves in the trade market from that era, and one that gets forgotten because he made so many fantastic deals in that four year span or so.

Gerald Diduck for a 4th rounder.  What were the Canadiens thinking.  They had good D depth but this was Salvation Army prices.  This was after they themselves gave up Craig Ludwig to get him.

And then after fleecing Montreal, good old Pat didn't appreciate the value of a guy on his own team (again - Ronning, Courtnall, Craven) and tossed Diduck away himself for peanuts.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Troy Gamble was actually a legit goalie until his concussion issues.  He took the starting job from McLean one season the way Schneider did to Luongo...before McLean rediscovered his form with a vengeance.

As for Schneider, he is the "Mogilny" of our goalies.  Two seasons with a GAA below 2.00.  Extremely elite numbers.  And Hanlon had Vezina and All-Star votes in several years of his career.  But yeah, we've traded for our great goalies, not picked them out as eggs.

Here they are, the canucks that have played in an All Star game

I am sorry but Messier made the game 2/3 seasons he was stealing our money

Williams Gradin Schmautz

Rota Adams Ververgaert

Naslund Messier Bertuzzi

D. Sedin H.Sedin Linden

Mogilny Kesler Bure

Tanti Horvat Boeser

.... Pettersson  Vrbata

Pratt Tallon

Snepsts Guevremont

Lindgren McCarthy

EdlerJovanovski

Hughes Reinhart

Smith

Garrett

McLean

Luongo

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, lmm said:

Williams Gradin Schmautz

Rota Adams Ververgaert

Naslund Messier Bertuzzi

D. Sedin H.Sedin Linden

Mogilny Kesler Bure

Tanti Horvat Boeser

.... Pettersson  Vrbata

Pratt Tallon

Snepsts Guevremont

Lindgren McCarthy

EdlerJovanovski

Hughes Reinhart

Smith

Garrett

McLean

Luongo

Well, we gotta give King Richard credit for getting selected for the All Star Game before getting injured.

As for Messier...hey I'm glad he got to play in a couple of games where he might have actually cared a little bit about winning.  I bet if you dig up the footage, he's skating harder in the All Star Game than he did on an average night for the Canucks.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lmm said:

Williams Gradin Schmautz

Rota Adams Ververgaert

Naslund Messier Bertuzzi

D. Sedin H.Sedin Linden

Mogilny Kesler Bure

Tanti Horvat Boeser

.... Pettersson  Vrbata

Pratt Tallon

Snepsts Guevremont

Lindgren McCarthy

EdlerJovanovski

Hughes Reinhart

Smith

Garrett

McLean

Luongo

Vrbata ... ha ha.   The new rules where each team has to be represented is a joke IMO.   It’s all part of Bettmans communistic view of the vanilla he wants the league to have to keep money rolling in.   It’s also an insult to those prior that actually had to be a star to get in - hence the word All STAR.   All star selections matter when evaluating a players career ... the only thing I’ve really enjoyed was the fans voting in Scott - kind of gave the league the middle finger (and they weren’t happy about it - some didn’t want to let him play)...but his teammates loved it - because they loved having enforcers covering their backs and carried that giant on their shoulders and he was the MVP (another middle finger).    It sucked in the 80’s when the Oilers were sending three lines and two goalies to the games ... but it is what it is - and it meant a lot more when Gradin, Rota, Snepsts etc got the call.    Horvat .... well let’s just say Gelinas would also have played one year ... and several others had the rules been the same back then.   Used to look forward to the all-star game - not anymore even though we have to send someone deserving or not.   Too many excellent players don’t get in when they should.

On that rant - the same thing could be said about SO points .... every year since it’s happened one or two teams with better winning percentages lose out because a skills competition is weighted so high in the standings.  Not only does is make a mockery of the record books with goalies getting a win instead of a tie - and 90 points which used to be a solid season now a joke - and 100 points which used to be an amazing accomplishment commonplace.   Check TO’s history out...how many 100 point seasons all-time as an original six team did they manage pre-shoot out.   What Vancouver did in the early 90’s when they set a team record for goals and points was every bit as impressive as the best WCE teams and almost as impressive as when we won Presidents Trohpies...

Edit:  For TO they managed it 3 times. Twice 100 and once 103...other then that their high-water mark was 92. 

Edited by IBatch