The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The ice is poor in June and will be even worse in August.

No fans is a factor for sure but so is playing multiple games a day on the same ice surface.

Im not confident the conditions will be good.

I agree completely.  I think we're going to see some significant injuries caused by poor ice conditions if they're playing in Vegas

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree completely.  I think we're going to see some significant injuries caused by poor ice conditions if they're playing in Vegas

The arena is indoors. I’m sure the ice is the least of their worries and easily dealt with by doubling up their efforts in maintenance of it.
The big concern is not the “ice”, it’s the appropriateness or choosing a city that is not the most ideal for dealing with the virus.

As I said in another thread, it makes more sense to do this in Canadian provinces where there is little to no active cases and a better health care system to deal with it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, skategal said:

Not surprising.  I'm not at all confident that the NHL will resume the season.  I hope it does, but I'd say right now odds aren't better than 50/50.  

That’s why they have three Canadian cities still on their list.

Plus there’s still states that haven’t seen their numbers surge.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s why they have three Canadian cities still on their list.

Plus there’s still states that haven’t seen their numbers surge.

One of them is Toronto, might as well call them our version of New York :rolleyes:

Their choices for potential sites are ridiculous. 

Vancouver makes the most sense in comparison to all the rest.

Hell, they could do it in a place like PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba or Newfoundland even. All these other provinces have 5 or LESS active cases! This is Canada, you can’t tell me these other provinces don’t have the ice rinks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

One of them is Toronto, might as well call them our version of New York :rolleyes:

Their choices for potential sites are ridiculous. 

Vancouver makes the most sense in comparison to all the rest.

Hell, they could do it in a place like PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba or Newfoundland even. All these other provinces have 5 or LESS active cases! This is Canada, you can’t tell me these other provinces don’t have the ice rinks.

They have specifically said they only want NHL buildings for both safety standards and broadcasting.

Vancouver and Edmonton are both still very real possibilities as long as the 14 quarantine measures are relaxed.

But there are still options like LA, Columbus, Chicago, and Pittsburgh. Those cities are fairly safe and aren’t seeing too much unrest as far as I know.

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They have specifically said they only want NHL buildings for both safety standards and broadcasting.

Vancouver and Edmonton are both still very real possibilities as long as the 14 quarantine measures are relaxed.

But there are still options like LA, Columbus, Chicago, and Pittsburgh. Those cities are fairly safe and aren’t seeing too much unrest as far as I know.

Edmonton isn't - ever since they decided to use only 2 hubs vs 4.  They don't have enough luxury hotels that can be sealed off to host that many people.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Edmonton isn't - ever since they decided to use only 2 hubs vs 4.  They don't have enough luxury hotels that can be sealed off to host that many people.  

According to LeBrun as of today Edmonton is still in the mix.

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Edmonton just saw a huge spike in Covid cases.

Let's be real here, this is the NHL.  If it was about safety Vancouver would've been the first city selected.  It's not about safety, it's about resuming the season by any means necessary which is why Bettman will take the path of least resistance and pick another US city with nothing but idiots posing as city officials.  Just a hunch.

You’re not wrong.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

According to LeBrun as of today Edmonton is still in the mix.

As backup option.   Russo has been speaking with the league on the regular and has detailed several times the criteria they are looking for.  He says the league is particularly worried about the psyche of the players as they will be cut off from the outside world for that long.  They want to make their stay as comfortable as possible.  They are looking for spacious luxury hotels with all the comfort.

Edmonton only has the JW Marriott that meets the luxury requirements set by the league but they only have 300 rooms. Insufficient for 12 teams.  In his podcast he gives the hotel names in consideration and the other 2 were of lesser standard - I think one was the Westin and can't remember the other one.  

The cities had to bid and it's typically very detailed with all the proposed arrangements - hotels, restaurants, training rinks, entertainment options etc including pricing and security details to preserve the bubble.  The league wants to create an airtight bubble and areas need to be sealed off to the public - they don't want any external person trying to enter the bubble.  

The quality of the hotels is the reason Vancouver went from backup option to serious consideration.  For Edmonton it went the other way despite having probably the best arrangements for training and playing games with their new arena and new practice facilities.

I still think unless the games are played in Canada, it's very possible, even somewhat likely, that the season will not continue.  The US infection and hospitalization rate is getting worse by the day and there's not travel restrictions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I still think unless the games are played in Canada, it's very possible, even somewhat likely, that the season will not continue.  The US infection and hospitalization rate is getting worse by the day and there's not travel restrictions.

Vancouver is a very likely destination.  Think either EDM or CAL are too.  Don’t be a sour puss.   So far everything is going very well.

Edit:  BC has done extremely well.  FYI where I live within 130kms more cases of Covid 19 have been established then the entire province of BC.  And nobody in our county (that’s what they call them in ONT) has been affected.   With 100ish new cases a week it’s very easy to track it.    That’s in the entire province.   Maybe it will happen, maybe it won’t.   But I’m pretty sure it will given what’s been going on in the States and how percentage to population it’s not overwhelming at this point.  It almost a certainty that the two hub cities will be in Canada.    And it won’t matter a lick. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Vancouver is a very likely destination.  Think either EDM or CAL are too.  Don’t be a sour puss.   So far everything is going very well.

Edit:  BC has done extremely well.  FYI where I live within 130kms more cases of Covid 19 have been established then the entire province of BC.  And nobody in our county (that’s what they call them in ONT) has been affected.   With 100ish new cases a week it’s very easy to track it.    That’s in the entire province.   Maybe it will happen, maybe it won’t.   But I’m pretty sure it will given what’s been going on in the States and how percentage to population it’s not overwhelming at this point.  It almost a certainty that the two hub cities will be in Canada.    And it won’t matter a lick. 

Treliving said Calgary did not volunteer to be a hub city.  Interested cities most likely had to make a detailed bid with all the arrangements, pricing and security.  The NHL wants to create an air tight bubble and areas need to be sealed off.  Hotels, restaurants, entertainment options, practice rinks etc.  For example they need to know the hotels that will be exclusively reserved for them.  If hotels have already committed to other guests they need to be able to displace them.  Same for practice rinks, restaurants etc - every facility have to agree to close to anyone else. 

Edmonton is a backup option per Russo.  The JW Marriott only has 350 rooms and the other 2 proposed hotels are not up to the NHL's preferred standard.  The league is particularly concerned about the players psyche/moral as they will be quarantined for so long.  They want to ensure maximum comfort.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I thought they already picked Vegas and there is a rumour that Toronto is going to be the other one, which I think it a huge mistake

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

I thought they already picked Vegas and there is a rumour that Toronto is going to be the other one, which I think it a huge mistake

The Vegas choice has yet to be finalized.  
Yes, Toronto is a disaster and should not be in this mix.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, bree2 said:

Vancouver and EDM have passed municipal, provincial and federal hurdles as of today - Trudeau approved it on the federal level and the other two were a while back.   Not sure about Ontario but TO is the other Canadian city.  7 US cities have made a bid, don’t know how their individual states will deal with it but as of things right now it’s a green light in both Vancouver and EDM.

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I agree.   The danger zones are pretty obvious and and tracing is working for the moment...I think either EDM or Vancouver is all but a lock for the West, would think they would try and pick a city in the east too which would mean PIT or Columbus makes some sense...maybe TO if that’s the safer option.    Cases are way down in Ontario but TO is still a hot spot. 

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Exactly.

Without a vote by the players it means nothing.

The players may decide they want both hubs to be in Canada based on what’s happening in the states.

You’d think you’d need to have two time zones to accommodate the Prime TV times.For the fans. 

toronto is the self proclaimed Center if the universe so that’s no surprise  and Vegas is buttmans latest pet project so. 

the travel excuse will be non existent this summer but that’s if they actually resume play and I for one an doubtful. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1