The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Demko to Ottawa

Cap dump deal:

Eriksson and Demko to the Senators for 2020 3rd (assuming his signing bonus is paid before the draft, not sure how that works with everything being delayed.  If the bonus is not paid before the draft, then the pick is 2021)

-Seattle would likely take Demko in the expansion draft, so we are only losing him for 1 season.  We would likely have to give the Kraken (tried it, hate the name so much) a big sweetener to not take Demko

-There are a number of quality backups on the market this summer that we can sign for a year until DiPietro is ready to back up Markstrom

-The money we save would allow us to re sign Toffoli. We need a top line player more than a back up at this point

-We get Otawa's 3rd, which is close to replacing the 2nd we gave up for Toffoli.

-Ottawa is going to be ready to compete in short order, they need a goalie.  They are guaranteed 2 of Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Perfetti  along with the Isles 1st and 4 2nd rounders this draft.  They are going to be loaded with young talent very soon.  Getting a young goalie with #1 potential by adding a low cash/high cap player would set them up well.

Edited by BCNate
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Interesting idea. I'd hold out for a 2nd tho, Ottawa has 4 of them.

I'd much rather see Demko go east so we only have to see him 2x per year if he becomes a great starter.

They do have Hogberg so I guess it would depend on if they see Demko as a big enough upgrade. 

• Cheers 2

Hogberg and Demko have very similar stats (with Hogberg playing on a much worse team). I doubt they’d have much interest in taking on Ericksson for 2 years for a goalie or roughly the same caliber of what they already have 

Edited by qwijibo

Eriksson is signed for 2 more years.  Melnyk was telling media a few weeks ago that they hope their team can be really competitive next year and make the playoffs.  Doubtful that they'd want a slowing down vet holding them back for 2 years.  Demko hasn't proved anything and his numbers are poor.  

Just now, mll said:

Eriksson is signed for 2 more years.  Melnyk was telling media a few weeks ago that they hope their team can be really competitive next year and make the playoffs.  Doubtful that they'd want a slowing down vet holding them back for 2 years.  Demko hasn't proved anything and his numbers are poor.  

Melnyk is high.

Loui is still a good player for them, who can help a lot defensively for them, and they are going to have a heck of a time reaching the cap floor. Loui for two years to get a goalie upgrade does make sense, given how hard its going to be to get free agents there. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Hogberg and Demko have very similar stats (with Hogberg playing on a much worse team). I doubt they’d have much interest in taking on Ericksson for 2 years for a goalie or roughly the same caliber of what they already have 

Demko is the better goalie between the two. Just how much thats worth? hard to say but it would be sensible for Ottawa to have two potential starters in the mix competing for a job next season. 

• Cheers 1

As much as I really like Demko this approach actually has some merit for both sides.  We have to pay to keep Demko from Seattle most likely (Which I am in favour of doing) but we basically move Loui to confirm Toffoli stays.  It works for us and it would work for them as having two goalie options confirms that one of them will succeed.  They are not competing next year and their core is on ELCs so they are fine either way.  Interesting idea.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Melnyk is high.

Loui is still a good player for them, who can help a lot defensively for them, and they are going to have a heck of a time reaching the cap floor. Loui for two years to get a goalie upgrade does make sense, given how hard its going to be to get free agents there. 

Doesn't matter if he is high.  It's about their mindset when they are constructing their roster.  They won't want Eriksson given that they think they can be competitive next season already.  

49 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Cap dump deal:

Eriksson and Demko to the Senators for 2020 3rd (assuming his signing bonus is paid before the draft, not sure how that works with everything being delayed.  If the bonus is not paid before the draft, then the pick is 2021)

-Seattle would likely take Demko in the expansion draft, so we are only losing him for 1 season.  We would likely have to give the Kraken (tried it, hate the name so much) a big sweetener to not take Demko

-There are a number of quality backups on the market this summer that we can sign for a year until DiPietro is ready to back up Markstrom

-The money we save would allow us to re sign Toffoli. We need a top line player more than a back up at this point

-We get Otawa's 3rd, which is close to replacing the 2nd we gave up for Toffoli.

-Ottawa is going to be ready to compete in short order, they need a goalie.  They are guaranteed 2 of Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Perfetti  along with the Isles 1st and 4 2nd rounders this draft.  They are going to be loaded with young talent very soon.  Getting a young goalie with #1 potential by adding a low cash/high cap player would set them up well.

Zero reason to do anything until we know the financial structure of the league for next season, and its doubtful that any team would take a salary dump before they know the answer to whether or not the cap is going to drop, or if players are going to agree to 40 - 50% Escrow to keep revenue balanced at 50 / 50 split.

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Interesting idea. I'd hold out for a 2nd tho, Ottawa has 4 of them.

I'd much rather see Demko go east so we only have to see him 2x per year if he becomes a great starter.

They do have Hogberg so I guess it would depend on if they see Demko as a big enough upgrade. 

They have Gustavsson in the minors and Mads Sogard who are also projected to be very good. Don’t see Ottawa having a need for Demko. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

They have Gustavsson in the minors and Mads Sogard who are also projected to be very good. Don’t see Ottawa having a need for Demko. 

Gustavsson hasn't even come close to proving he can play at the AHL level, he has been lit up for two straight seasons in Bellville.  Sogard is at least 4 years away.  Whether or not Demko is the answer, the Senators absolutely have to upgrade their goaltending in the next year or two.  They basically get Demko for cap space, which they have plenty of for the foreseeable future.  LE would help them in a a defensive and PK role as well.

34 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Zero reason to do anything until we know the financial structure of the league for next season, and its doubtful that any team would take a salary dump before they know the answer to whether or not the cap is going to drop, or if players are going to agree to 40 - 50% Escrow to keep revenue balanced at 50 / 50 split.

I'm assuming a flat cap in this scenario.

57 minutes ago, mll said:

Doesn't matter if he is high.  It's about their mindset when they are constructing their roster.  They won't want Eriksson given that they think they can be competitive next season already.  

I just don't believe it, and don't think he does either, thats hype for ticket sales. 

31 minutes ago, Pears said:

Demko  could be a starter in a year - are they that close? 

21 minutes ago, BCNate said:

LE would help them in a a defensive and PK role as well.

That is a fairly easy player to obtain at a fraction of the cost via free agency.  Granlund comes to mind.  Sens have cap space because their owner is cheap.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That is a fairly easy player to obtain at a fraction of the cost via free agency.  Granlund comes to mind.  Sens have cap space because their owner is cheap.

Yes, but not many other options come with Demko attached.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Demko  could be a starter in a year - are they that close? 

I really don’t think so. They’re probably 2 years away from being competitive and 3 from having a shot at playoffs. Think of where we were in 2016.

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

I really don’t think so. They’re probably 2 years away from being competitive and 3 from having a shot at playoffs. Think of where we were in 2016.

I think a lot depends on how the lottery shakes out.  Lafreniere and Byfield would probably move your timeline up by a year I'd think.  Islander pick could hold a lot more value as well depending on how they do in the playin.