The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chris Tanev, Canucks want new contract

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Why would the Sabres want to unload Risto?  A player like that won’t come cheap.  You’re not going to acquire him for used parts and or garbage.

It's rumoured they've been open to offers for some time. With Dahlin, Risto has become expendable - especially with his issues defensively.

6 hours ago, joe-max said:

Remember the last time the Canucks let a low-scoring, defensive defenseman, who was a heart-and-soul player and leader on and off the ice, go because there were health concerns and they felt for the price tag he didn't score enough?

That was totally different, as he hadn't played a game since being out months with a concussion. And as was said, he was offered a 1 year deal rumoured around $2M as well to see if he could bounce back. Nothing at all to do with his offence.

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

It's rumoured they've been open to offers for some time. With Dahlin, Risto has become expendable - especially with his issues defensively.

Not sure why we'd need such a player (that we'd have to give up good asset(s)) for then.  We need to replace Tanev's defensive abilities.  Myers gets $6 million per year because of his offensive skills.  Hughes......no need to mention his out of world skills offensively.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

15 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I was all good with Tanev not being re-signed and now I'm like damn, I'd like to see this guy stay a Canuck lmao

Yeah, kinda hard to say “let Tanev walk” when the guy is willing to take a discount, accept as short term as a one year deal, and he’s working on new recipes to feed our young players.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, kinda hard to say “let Tanev walk” when the guy is willing to take a discount, accept as short term as a one year deal, and he’s working on new recipes to feed our young players.

Agreed, is JB the main guy in charge of contract negotiations? We should replace him if that is the case, not fond of his spending that is now reaping its ugly head just as we start to show promise we got major cap issues. We should have cap space to easily keep Marky, Toffoli and Tanev to reasnoable deals if we would have spent more wisely instead of giving out longer term deals to attract players with higher term and NTC.

Hope like hell the NHL allows a compliance buyout so we can rid ourselves of 6m of erikSsucks

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Wonder who his agent is? Have to think agent looks at JB and thinks well, you gave Myers 6m per...why wouldn't Tanev be worth that to you. But with the impact of the virus good players will have to take less to stay with or sign on a good team. If you want to cash in then go sign with a bottom feeder like Ottawa etc

Well Myers played 2 more minutes a night than Tanev and lead the team for even strength minutes per night. Myers was 2nd on the team in hits. He had better career offensive numbers prior to joining and Tanev just had career offensive numbers playing alongside one of the best offensive dmen this team has seen in some time and is still a point shy on Myers so far this season.

I'd also suggest that the addition of Myers has helped lower Tanev's per game ice time which (along with partnering with Hughes) has helped with Tanev's health this season.

So while Tanev has been a very good defensive dman, I don't see him being a 6 million dollar a year dman even prior to this pandemic (in which I thought 5.5 would be what he would be getting at most, but now things have changed).

Let's keep in mind that we had a dman that was our de facto #1 that wanted to also remain and retire as a Canuck and signed for 6 million a season for only two years (likely one year deals until he retires after). JB didn't play with the agent games at that point and Edler had to jump in a force a deal to get done. Tanev is certainly below Edler.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

That isn't saying much given Gudbranson was a tire fire in Vancouver. :P

I know what you mean but I think our marketplace has heavily under valued Boeser this past season. He stopped scoring at a 40 goal pace now everyone wants to trade him lol

I certainly would prefer to not trade Boeser, but Risto is much better than he gets credit for. I can't see us getting Risto (top pairing dman) without moving someone like Boeser (top 6 forward) or equivalent though.

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I certainly would prefer to not trade Boeser, but Risto is much better than he gets credit for. I can't see us getting Risto (top pairing dman) without moving someone like Boeser (top 6 forward) or equivalent though.

I'd love to try something around Virtanen, Stecher and a prospect. Just spit balling.

Rolling in to next year with something like:

Edler/Hughes, Risto

Edler/Hughes, Tanev

Tryamkin, Myers

Brisebois, Rafferty (Benn traded)

...would be an awful nice upgrade.

And with Virtanen gone, we could still have the following at F.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Leivo/Ferland?, Gaudette, Sutter (Roussel traded)

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan

Eriksson as 13th and Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin, Jasek as near term youth replacements to fill in for injuries, Sutter leaving next summer etc. Buy Baer out as well.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

It seems more that Risto wants out rather than the team is trying to unload him. They have called him a core player and it seems unusual that they would want to move their current #1 RD unless they plan on rebuilding again at this point. Dahlin is a LD, so I don't think he makes him expendable other than they're hoping that he takes the big minutes and balance out the RD.

Whatever the case, I think his issues defensively are more to do with the fact that he's been their go-to top defender (playing the tough matchups, getting big PK minutes while also expected to be an offensive driver) on some pretty piss poor teams (and thus the poor plus/minus). You look at someone like Ekman-Larsson and he's in a similar situation where his plus/minus has looked poor on a bad team, but how many think he's actually poor defensively? Edler had a pretty bad season in plus/minus and he's been a regular top defender for us.

The only reason he becomes "expendable" for Buffalo is if he forces his way out (although it seems like it's getting closer to that point as he continues to suggest that he could be on another team at some point).

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd love to try something around Virtanen, Stecher and a prospect. Just spit balling.

Rolling in to next year with something like:

Edler/Hughes, Risto

Edler/Hughes, Tanev

Tryamkin, Myers

Brisebois, Rafferty (Benn traded)

...would be an awful nice upgrade.

And with Virtanen gone, we could still have the following at F.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Leivo/Ferland?, Gaudette, Sutter (Roussel traded)

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan

Eriksson as 13th and Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin, Jasek as near term youth replacements to fill in for injuries, Sutter leaving next summer etc. Buy Baer out as well.

While that would be nice, I just can't see us fitting both Tanev and Risto in the same lineup cap-wise and due to ice time. Myers at "3rd pairing" minutes is a massive waste of 6 million a season. With Risto, Myers and Tryamkin on RD, I think Tanev's PK minutes would be handled well.

Don't think Stecher really holds any value. I don't mind the idea of potentially moving out Jake (if we are getting a player of this calibre in return). We have players like MacEwen that can step into the 3rd line RW role and soon guys like Lind and Pod could step into a similar role that he's in. Would miss Jake's potential physicality and speed in the playoffs (plus the local factor), but I'm starting to get wary of his off ice mishaps.

I think if Jake is the centerpiece, we would likely have to add a prospect and a pick as well. Player, prospect and pick would seem to be the going rate. I would think we would have to add Woo or Rathbone (which would put him out East if he wants to stay close to family) as the prospect and I'd be surprised if we didn't have to add a 1st as well in this package. Hopefully they would take someone like Sutter/Roussel to balance out the cap if this was the case though.

21 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It seems more that Risto wants out rather than the team is trying to unload him. They have called him a core player and it seems unusual that they would want to move their current #1 RD unless they plan on rebuilding again at this point. Dahlin is a LD, so I don't think he makes him expendable other than they're hoping that he takes the big minutes and balance out the RD.

Whatever the case, I think his issues defensively are more to do with the fact that he's been their go-to top defender (playing the tough matchups, getting big PK minutes while also expected to be an offensive driver) on some pretty piss poor teams (and thus the poor plus/minus). You look at someone like Ekman-Larsson and he's in a similar situation where his plus/minus has looked poor on a bad team, but how many think he's actually poor defensively? Edler had a pretty bad season in plus/minus and he's been a regular top defender for us.

The only reason he becomes "expendable" for Buffalo is if he forces his way out (although it seems like it's getting closer to that point as he continues to suggest that he could be on another team at some point).

Except Ristolainen has changed his mind and wants to stay - he's now worried that he could be traded.  Ristolainen likes playing for Krueger. 

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Myers at "3rd pairing" minutes is a massive waste of 6 million a season. 

Myers, as you noted earlier, played 2 more minutes than Tanev, a lot from the 'third pairing', this very season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Myers, as you noted earlier, played 2 more minutes than Tanev, a lot from the 'third pairing', this very season.

Yes but as you have listed in your lineup, you Myers paired with Tryamkin in seemingly the "3rd pair". Myers played 2 more minutes a game this year because he was partnered with Edler for the majority of the time. If Tanev gets his minutes reduced further, even at a 4.5 cap, it would be pricey for those minutes (we are likely letting Stecher potentially walk for free as we can't afford to pay him 2.5-3 million on the 3rd pair). And as mentioned, it's not like between Risto/Myers/Tryamkin that they couldn't take on the PK minutes that Tanev would give up. Would love to make it work somehow, I just don't see it happening.

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Except Ristolainen has changed his mind and wants to stay - he's now worried that he could be traded.  Ristolainen likes playing for Krueger. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacke-eichel-buffalo-sabres-rasmus-ristolainen-trade-quick-shifts/

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on.

“We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.”

“Buffalo has a bright future,” Ristolainen said, “but we’ve been saying the ‘bright future’ for seven years now when I’ve been here. And I’m not sure when is it?”

I pulled out some quotes from Risto himself. I think he wants it to work out in Buffalo, but he wants to win. They showed some promise this year, but have been eliminated once again already (not even a chance for a play-in). Of course, the coach and GM want him to stay and have likely told him the right things to keep him at bay for now, but the results are going to be telling and it doesn't sound that Risto has completely bought in just yet. Buffalo is likely going to ride it out until the last year of his contract and will have to see where they stand to decide if they will trade him because he's not going to re-sign if they remain the way they have been for his entire career with that organization. So they have a year and a half or so unless Risto demands a move again before this time is up.

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed, is JB the main guy in charge of contract negotiations? We should replace him if that is the case, not fond of his spending that is now reaping its ugly 

AGM Chris Gear handles contract negotiations you noob

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

AGM Chris Gear handles contract negotiations you noob

The new guy who's NOT responsible for long term deals to players not worth their current deals causing cap issues. Hopefully he can sign guys for better deals than the past. Never liked the pay raise we gave Myers and the term that went with it but we needed a rhd and Tanev was routinely hurt every year until his contract season

32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacke-eichel-buffalo-sabres-rasmus-ristolainen-trade-quick-shifts/

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on.

“We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.”

“Buffalo has a bright future,” Ristolainen said, “but we’ve been saying the ‘bright future’ for seven years now when I’ve been here. And I’m not sure when is it?”

I pulled out some quotes from Risto himself. I think he wants it to work out in Buffalo, but he wants to win. They showed some promise this year, but have been eliminated once again already (not even a chance for a play-in). Of course, the coach and GM want him to stay and have likely told him the right things to keep him at bay for now, but the results are going to be telling and it doesn't sound that Risto has completely bought in just yet. Buffalo is likely going to ride it out until the last year of his contract and will have to see where they stand to decide if they will trade him because he's not going to re-sign if they remain the way they have been for his entire career with that organization. So they have a year and a half or so unless Risto demands a move again before this time is up.

In the past he has asked for a trade.  Sounds like he would like it to work in Buffalo but is not going to wait forever.  Not sure Buffalo is at the point to trade him yet.

For their team to progress it's elsewhere that they should try and cut first, rather than move a player the coach thinks could be core, especially with Ristolainen wanting it to work. Eichel has criticised guys for not always having the right work ethic - would think those are the guys on the way out before Ristolainen.  

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

The new guy who's NOT responsible for long term deals to players not worth their current deals causing cap issues. Hopefully he can sign guys for better deals than the past. Never liked the pay raise we gave Myers and the term that went with it but we needed a rhd and Tanev was routinely hurt every year until his contract season

All good I was just ribbing you

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man if Tanev is willing to do something like a 1 year extension at his current salary of 4.45 that would be ideal, and then wait to see what a new CBA and post-covid life brings. Certainly sounds like he's open to a number of things and gets the reality of the league right now. 

This is the key.

I've been against re-signing Tanev, but mostly because I expected it would almost certainly require a multi-year deal. His underlying numbers suggest that his play is starting to regress (particularly when he's not paired with Hughes). So spending a chunk of money on him past the point where Pettersson and Hughes get extended just seems like a really bad idea.

But given the situation, a 1-year deal makes all kinds of sense for both parties. Definitely in favour of that.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1