The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Nah nf is right, many of them don't have the balls to go that far, their life ambition also isn't to stack the Supreme Court, no matter what they campaign on. The only danger is Trump bullying them all into submission, which is definitely possible.

Also RIP to Ginsburg, she did her part in making life less $&!#ty for women and minorities. Its a shame that is being overshadowed a little bit by the political implications. 

They don't have the balls to stand up to big daddy. Whatever daddy wants, daddy gets. Seen it a million times already rinse and repeat. Maybe not prior to the election because the window is so small but the wheels will already be in motion at that point.

Trump, McConnell to move fast to replace Ginsburg

President Trump will move within days to nominate his third Supreme Court justice in just three-plus short years — and shape the court for literally decades to come, top Republican sources tell Axios.

Driving the news: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Republicans are ready to move to confirm Trump's nominee before Election Day, just 46 days away, setting up one of the most consequential periods of our lifetimes, the sources say.

What they're saying: "In the last midterm election before Justice Scalia’s death in 2016, Americans elected a Republican Senate majority because we pledged to check and balance the last days of a lame-duck president’s second term. We kept our promise. Since the 1880s, no Senate has confirmed an opposite-party president’s Supreme Court nominee in a presidential election year," McConnell said in a statement.

• "By contrast, Americans reelected our majority in 2016 and expanded it in 2018 because we pledged to work with President Trump and support his agenda, particularly his outstanding appointments to the federal judiciary. Once again, we will keep our promise."
  • "President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."
  •  

Why it matters: We know Trump's list of potential nominees, we know the process, and we fully know the politics set to explode. Republicans, assuming they stay united as they have through thick and thin, hold all the cards.

• A Democrat involved in the machinations tells us: "ltimately if their caucus hangs together, you can't block them."
Within moments of the news breaking, a top Democrat texted: "Catastrophe."

The other side: Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer plans to fight the nomination. In a statement dictated to her granddaughter days before her death, Ginsburg said: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

Between the lines: The Senate Republicans' precedent of stonewalling Merrick Garland, after he was nominated by President Obama in 2016 — and the reported desire of Justice Ginsburg to be replaced only after a new president is installed — will do nothing to slow or sway Trump or McConnell, the sources tell us.

• A Republican close to the White House told Axios that if Trump and McConnell didn't move before the election, "the Republican base will revolt, sit home."
The confirmation vote would be tight. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) told the N.Y. Times' Jonathan Martin earlier this month that she wouldn't seat a Supreme Court justice in October: "I think that’s too close, I really do."
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Vintage 1

Mitch is going to use this to play both sides. He’s not up for re-election so by announcing this early he’ll let the vulnerable Republicans not go along with it to protect themselves while Trump can use it as a rallying cry for votes and then either Trump wins and they get their seat anyway or Biden wins and they slam it through before the change of power. 

1 minute ago, drdeath said:

Mitch is going to use this to play both sides. He’s not up for re-election so by announcing this early he’ll let the vulnerable Republicans not go along with it to protect themselves while Trump can use it as a rallying cry for votes and then either Trump wins and they get their seat anyway or Biden wins and they slam it through before the change of power. 

Mitch is up for re-election in November. He's up against Amy McGrath. He's got an 11 point lead so he's safe. It is Kentucky afterall.

2 hours ago, drdeath said:

Can a lame duck senate push a nomination through? Because that’s the scariest outcome that seems like it might happen. 

We’re talking about Mitch McConnell here. Of course he’ll try even though he denied Obama a candidate in 2016 because “ let the American people decide” in an election year. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drdeath said:

Oh I’m well aware about Merrick Garland but Mitch has already said he’d do it anyway. I don’t think he’s stupid enough to try it before the election as too many Republican senators are in too many close races but after the election there’s really nothing to stop them from doing it. 

He has absolutely no scruples whatsoever 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Right you are. Apparently McConnell just put out a statement saying Trump's nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the Senate.

He's going to ram one through.

You got it.  Shes not even cold and he's crapping on her literal last wish before dying.

Mitch Mcconnell is everything evil in America but his base think he's a patriot

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yeah, the administration in the USA is doing a great job of promoting life right now, especially the lives of people at risk of contracting COVID-19..

I wasn’t talking about the administration I mean in terms of justice voting for death or life for abortions etc besides COVID is a political game as well.  You can’t trust the COVID deaths being reported or any of the fear mongering media on COVID reporting. 
for example now that Trump is working hard for a vaccine now the media is turning it into a negative 

• Wat 1

22 minutes ago, hateleafs said:

I wasn’t talking about the administration I mean in terms of justice voting for death or life for abortions etc besides COVID is a political game as well.  You can’t trust the COVID deaths being reported or any of the fear mongering media on COVID reporting. 
for example now that Trump is working hard for a vaccine now the media is turning it into a negative 

Trump is working hard for what?

No he's not...he tried to pay german scientists for their data.  He pulled all funding from the who

Come on...

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, hateleafs said:

How many US presidents have bin impeached in an election year?  They did it for political reasons. Therefore I say pay back and ram

a new justice in fast. 

Andrew Johnson 1868. A result of his impeachment and subsequent acquittal in the Senate he failed to win his party's nomination for a 2nd term in 1869.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1