The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Operation “team chemistry”: Catering to one of the Canucks’ biggest strength

[proposal] Operation “team chemistry”:  Catering to one of the Canucks’ biggest strength

If there is one thing that Canucks have shown these past few seasons, it’s that they are a very tight-knit cohesive group.    While the following strategy that I’m about to mention probably isn’t the best (nor is it particularly advisable), I do think it’s worth mentioning.....so here goes:

Step 1:  2021 1st rounder + 7th rounder + Eriksson for a 6th rounder (aka “The Marleau to Carolina deal”).  Zero retention for Eriksson.

Step 2:  Beagle + Roussel + Podkolzin as a sweetener to *insert team here* for *insert draft pick here*.  Zero retention for Beagle and Roussel.

Step 3:  Sign Stecher, Gaudette, Motte, and Virtanen, to comfortable extensions.   Show the boys and the team that management believes in the current core.  

Step 4:  No more talks about trading Boeser.  Ever.  This includes yours truly. 

Step 5:  Sign Toffoli, Tanev, and Leivo, but Markstrom has to walk.   A 1A backup such as Talbot or Greiss is signed to aid Demko’s transition to number one (ie Demko starts 60-65% of the games).

Goals achieved:

1) Canucks keep the bulk of their young core together as far as Stecher,Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, and ultimately Boeser goes.  This ties into one of their biggest strengths:  Team chemistry.  Management shows massive faith to the boys.  This also shows commitment to building for the long term as management shows a commitment to prioritizing keeping young players.

2) A MASSIVE amount of cap is removed from the books which will ultimately aid our biggest goal:  Having enough money to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

3) Sutter stays on for another year which will help Gaudette develop a little more before taking sole ownership of the 3rd line center spot.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Virtanen-Sutter-Leivo

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Lind

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Stecher

Benn

Demko

1ABackUp

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I do agree we have good team chemistry- thats why I do find it imperative to keep Tanev, Stecher.

Ideally Ericksson is moved w/ a 2nd rounder and Lind like prospect for future considerations.

Virtanen doesnt fit our bill and tbh I don't think he has good team chemistry with anyone here.

Sutter I would like to keep and move at the deadline on a retained salary if need be to compensate a pick.

Roussel, Baertschi, Beagle,, Ferland are our guys out.

Would rather keep Leivo, Motte like characters. Resign Pearson for a 3LW role and try getting Domi for Horvat

• Wat 1

wow your trade proposals get worst every week   benning has said hes not paying picks or good prospects  for contracts dumps the owner is sooner gonna send them to utica before they do that    so for one you dont trade grade a prospects like  podzolkin or hoglander on elc for cap dumps 

basically juolevi lind dipietro rathbone hoglander or podz are going nowhere 

Hopefully  some teams are interested in  sutter or baertchi and roussel and benn  perhaps  they can be traded for prospects like brisebois  or gadzovich or late picks.

If owner eats money he could send sutter eriksson   to join baertchi on comets   frees up 3 mill in cap with these three down there  or best case scenario eriksson mutually cancells contract so he can play a yr or 2 more in nhl with another team fingers crossed 

markstrom and tanev stecher  are probably gone 

demko toffoli and macewen motte and virtanen can be resigned  and  maybe a few dmen like cernak or dillion and next yr we will have money to  sign petey hughes

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Ideally Ericksson is moved w/ a 2nd rounder and Lind like prospect for future considerations.

We have a good chance at being a playoff team next season (especially if we free up $6 million on cap space by unloading Eriksson's contract).  That means that 2nd round pick will likely be a mid-to low ranked 2nd round selection (limiting it's value).  Adding Lind (imho) ain't nearly enough a sweetener to dump that contract.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I do agree we have good team chemistry- thats why I do find it imperative to keep Tanev, Stecher.

Virtanen doesnt fit our bill and tbh I don't think he has good team chemistry with anyone here.

Sutter I would like to keep and move at the deadline on a retained salary if need be to compensate a pick.

Roussel, Baertschi, Beagle,, Ferland are our guys out.

Would rather keep Leivo, Motte like characters. Resign Pearson for a 3LW role and try getting Domi for Horvat

I like your Eriksson thought but I’m not sure if that would be enough for a team to take on Eriksson without retention.

As far as Virtanen goes, I might be in the minority here but I still think there’s something there.  For all his warts, the guy still produced at a 20 goal pace this past season with limited minutes.  Once Gaudette develops his game a little, I could definitely see a 3rd line consisting of Hoglander-Gaudette-Virtanen doing some damage.  

Ferland going on LTIR + Baertschi trade at 50% retention are very realistic and doable in my opinion. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

wow your trade proposals get worst every week   benning has said hes not paying picks or good prospects  for contracts dumps the owner is sooner gonna send them to utica before they do that    so for one you dont trade grade a prospects like  podzolkin or hoglander on elc for cap dumps 

basically juolevi lind dipietro rathbone hoglander or podz are going nowhere 

Hopefully  some teams are interested in  sutter or baertchi and roussel and benn  perhaps  they can be traded for prospects like brisebois  or gadzovich or late picks.

If owner eats money he could send sutter eriksson   to join baertchi on comets   frees up 3 mill in cap with these three down there  or best case scenario eriksson mutually cancells contract so he can play a yr or 2 more in nhl with another team fingers crossed 

markstrom and tanev stecher  are probably gone 

demko toffoli and macewen motte and virtanen can be resigned  and  maybe a few dmen like cernak or dillion and next yr we will have money to  sign petey hughes

Benning can say whatever he wants but he may not have a choice, especially with a flat cap that seems to be on the horizon.

I agree that moving a 1st rounder and an elite prospect is NOT ideal, but you yourself said it best:  We’ve got guys like Hoglander, Juolevi (whom I penciled into my lineup in my OP), Rathbone, Dipietro, Lind, etc., and so it’s not like we’re devoid of incoming prospects.

Whether we like it or not, clearing enough money to be able to sign Peterrsson, Hughes, and Demko (should we decide to keep him over Markstrom) is going to be an ENORMOUS challenge.   Knock on my proposal all you want, but the fact of the matter is that Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel being off the books clears 12 million right there.  Boom, gone.  Like I said - moving Podkolzin and a 2021 1st would NOT be ideal, but if that gave you enough money to.......

1) Solidify and establish your young core of players long term:  Stecher, Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes.

2) STILL have a good pipeline coming in despite the loss of Podkolzin and 2021 1st:  Juolevi, Tryamkin (who I still believe can come back), Dipietro, Rathbone, Hoglander, and Lind.

3) Preserve one the team’s biggest strengths in team chemistry and continue to build upon that.

Then I honestly don’t see how this is a bad thing (although again, to your point, I realize that using Podkolzin and a 2021 1st as a sweetener is not ideal).

However, with Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel completely off the books (12 million), combined with 50% retention for Baertschi and LTIR for Ferland, that’s about 17 million in freed up cap that help us do everything that I described above......comfortably.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

In summary: 

IN: A back up, 6th round pick

OUT: Markstrom, Podkolzon, Beagle, Roussel, 2021 1st round pick, 7th round pick

Alright guys let's talk about team chemistry while we gut the team and make ourselves worse. Then hand out "comfortable" contracts to guys who floated and not address the glaring issue of our weak defense. But hey look at all that cap room baby.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pink Sock said:

In summary: 

IN: A back up, 6th round pick

OUT: Markstrom, Podkolzon, Beagle, Roussel, 2021 1st round pick, 7th round pick

Alright guys let's talk about team chemistry while we gut the team and make ourselves worse. Then hand out "comfortable" contracts to guys who floated and not address the glaring issue of our weak defense. But hey look at all that cap room baby.

Why didn’t you mention Eriksson in the above?

I have no issue in you criticizing my post, but why neglect one of the biggest parts?

In terms of preserving team chemistry, how would re-upping Motte, Virtanen, Stecher, and Gaudette go against that?   (especially admist the rumors of the Canucks moving on from young popular lockerroom players such as Stecher and Virtanen.  In my outlined plan, we would keep those guys).         

You do make a good point about the defense, but with a lot of our bad cap off the table, the Canucks would have options.   For example - we could take advantage of cap strapped Tampa and pry away Erik Cernak.  Maybe we give them Lind and Rafferty or something (I honestly don’t know if that’s fair value, I’m just spitballing).  With a guy like Cernak here, we could let the aging Chris Tanev walk.  

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Virtanen-Sutter-Leivo

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Hoglander

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Cernak

Juolevi-Stecher 

Benn

Demko

[Greiss/Talbot]

Not only do the Canucks preserve their core for the most part and still stay youngish, but they put themselves in a great position to easily re-up Pettersson and Hughes while having a great young nucleus that would likely remain intact for years to come. 

5 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Why didn’t you mention Eriksson in the above?

I have no issue in you criticizing my post, but why neglect one of the biggest parts?

In terms of preserving team chemistry, how would re-upping Motte, Virtanen, Stecher, and Gaudette go against that?   (especially admist the rumors of the Canucks moving on from young popular lockerroom players such as Stecher and Virtanen.  In my outlined plan, we would keep those guys).         

You do make a good point about the defense, but with a lot of our bad cap off the table, the Canucks would have options.   For example - we could take advantage of cap strapped Tampa and pry away Erik Cernak.  Maybe we give them Lind and Rafferty or something (I honestly don’t know if that’s fair value, I’m just spitballing).  With a guy like Cernak here, we could let the aging Chris Tanev walk.  

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Virtanen-Sutter-Leivo

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Hoglander

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Cernak

Juolevi-Stecher 

Benn

Demko

[Greiss/Talbot]

Not only do the Canucks preserve their core for the most part and still stay youngish, but they put themselves in a great position to easily re-up Pettersson and Hughes while having a great young nucleus that would likely remain intact for years to come. 

I accidentally left out Loui, he's just that forgettable.

Stetcher needs to go. He got exposed in the playoffs. He's too small.

1 hour ago, Thirston said:

Ya let’s give JV a big contract so he can sit it the press box after showing up higher than a kite game after game. Smart 

Has there been any documented proof of Virtanen having shown shown up to games “higher than a kite” during these past five years?  Be careful with potential libelous and slanderous comments.   

Like I said earlier, for all of Jake’s warts, the guy still produced at a 20 goal clip with limited even strength and PP minutes.   Furthermore, the Advanced Stats community came up with findings recently that showed that the Miller-Pettersson line had better Corsi numbers with Jake on it in comparison to Toffoli and Boeser.  

All I’m saying is that perhaps there is more there with Jake. 

11 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

[proposal] Operation “team chemistry”:  Catering to one of the Canucks’ biggest strength

If there is one thing that Canucks have shown these past few seasons, it’s that they are a very tight-knit cohesive group.    While the following strategy that I’m about to mention probably isn’t the best (nor is it particularly advisable), I do think it’s worth mentioning.....so here goes:

Step 1:  2021 1st rounder + 7th rounder + Eriksson for a 6th rounder (aka “The Marleau to Carolina deal”).  Zero retention for Eriksson.

Step 2:  Beagle + Roussel + Podkolzin as a sweetener to *insert team here* for *insert draft pick here*.  Zero retention for Beagle and Roussel.

Step 3:  Sign Stecher, Gaudette, Motte, and Virtanen, to comfortable extensions.   Show the boys and the team that management believes in the current core.  

Step 5:  Sign Toffoli, Tanev, and Leivo, but Markstrom has to walk.   A 1A backup such as Talbot or Greiss is signed to aid Demko’s transition to number one (ie Demko starts 60-65% of the games).

Goals achieved:

1) Canucks keep the bulk of their young core together as far as Stecher,Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, and ultimately Boeser goes.  This ties into one of their biggest strengths:  Team chemistry.  Management shows massive faith to the boys.  This also shows commitment to building for the long term as management shows a commitment to prioritizing keeping young players.

2) A MASSIVE amount of cap is removed from the books which will ultimately aid our biggest goal:  Having enough money to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

3) Sutter stays on for another year which will help Gaudette develop a little more before taking sole ownership of the 3rd line center spot.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Virtanen-Sutter-Leivo

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Lind

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Stecher

Benn

Demko

1ABackUp

Please Benning will not give up another 1st rounder it will not happen..

11 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Goals achieved:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Virtanen-Sutter-Leivo

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Lind

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Stecher

Benn

Demko

1ABackUp

Giving up 2021 1st rounder in one trade..Next trade you give up Podkolzin your smoking wild weed..

Worst trade idea's I have heard on this site... Least we all know they will never happen maybe on EA hockey 2020 ???

We have had Ericson for 4 yrs now so now we give up 2021 1st rounder---Never Never will happen

Next trade give up Podkolzin -- So no Beagle and Roussel... Your crazy..

Your kidding right...lol....

12 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Benning can say whatever he wants but he may not have a choice, especially with a flat cap that seems to be on the horizon.

I agree that moving a 1st rounder and an elite prospect is NOT ideal, but you yourself said it best:  We’ve got guys like Hoglander, Juolevi (whom I penciled into my lineup in my OP), Rathbone, Dipietro, Lind, etc., and so it’s not like we’re devoid of incoming prospects.

Whether we like it or not, clearing enough money to be able to sign Peterrsson, Hughes, and Demko (should we decide to keep him over Markstrom) is going to be an ENORMOUS challenge.   Knock on my proposal all you want, but the fact of the matter is that Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel being off the books clears 12 million right there.  Boom, gone.  Like I said - moving Podkolzin and a 2021 1st would NOT be ideal, but if that gave you enough money to.......

1) Solidify and establish your young core of players long term:  Stecher, Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes.

2) STILL have a good pipeline coming in despite the loss of Podkolzin and 2021 1st:  Juolevi, Tryamkin (who I still believe can come back), Dipietro, Rathbone, Hoglander, and Lind.

3) Preserve one the team’s biggest strengths in team chemistry and continue to build upon that.

Then I honestly don’t see how this is a bad thing (although again, to your point, I realize that using Podkolzin and a 2021 1st as a sweetener is not ideal).

However, with Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel completely off the books (12 million), combined with 50% retention for Baertschi and LTIR for Ferland, that’s about 17 million in freed up cap that help us do everything that I described above......comfortably.

Podz has way more upside for a variety of reasons then TT has at this point.  So no thanks to that idea.

Also if the idea is to maintain the chemistry, why do you have so many guys traded out - plus we don’t even sign Markstrom with the cap saved?  

Seems very counterintuitive.    Out Roussel, LE, Beagle Markstrom a first and Podz?!   Just to sign TT and Tanev? And have some left over - that part I get but it’s coming anyways.   All the minor signings are easy and cheap.   Except JV and Stetcher - that’s where cap could be saved for two of these UFAs without losing anything.   Pearson too. 

Funny thing.   We really don’t have any cap issues this year if we don’t sign TT.   Yes we’d lose a little depth, and maybe JV.   But that’s about it.   Podz is the best RW prospect in the world right now.   The only prospect that we’ve had ranked higher recently  is EP, after his killer SHL season.   A few had QHs in around the same, some lower after draft plus one.   BB got as high as 22, close to where Hogs is now.   

We have virtually nothing that interesting in our pool after Podz as a sure fire impact NHLer.   Yes someone might come out of the woodwork but that’s like saying Gaunce is a top six just wait!   Could happen but probably not.  

The only way this team is going to contend is if we fix our defense and manage to keep our strengths, and keep drafting well.   Which is depth on C and excellent goaltending.   Chemistry is great - a lot of teams grew tighter while in the bubble and ours is tighter now then I’ve seen in a long time.    Roussel, Beagle and LE are for sure replaceable by our own pool.   That is unless we throw it all out the window now.   Who’s going to replace these guys if we don’t have the picks/prospects to do it?  12 million out replaced by ELCs will go much, much further then 12 out and 9 back in right?    We just have to be patient.   In two years it all goes away for free. 

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

Please Benning will not give up another 1st rounder it will not happen..

Giving up 2021 1st rounder in one trade..Next trade you give up Podkolzin your smoking wild weed..

Worst trade idea's I have heard on this site... Least we all know they will never happen maybe on EA hockey 2020 ???

We have had Ericson for 4 yrs now so now we give up 2021 1st rounder---Never Never will happen

Next trade give up Podkolzin -- So no Beagle and Roussel... Your crazy..

Your kidding right...lol....

It’s a controversial take for sure, but like I said - 12 million would go off the books at the snap of a finger.   With guys like Juolevi, Tryamkin (whom I haven’t ruled to make a comeback), Rathbone, Rafferty, Lind, and Hoglander are still guys that we have in the pipeline and so it’s not like we’d be devoid of incoming prospects.   One of the biggest strengths of the Canucks is how tight-knit they are as a group, so why mess with that?    The Canucks could really create a long term identity with guys like Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Demko, Boeser, Stecher, Virtanen, Gaudette, and Motte all here long term.  

1) Keep their young guys that have already bonded with one another.

2) Clear cap and establish a core group of guys for many years to come.

3) Take advantage of cap strapped teams like Tampa and bring in guys that fit within their age demographic (Cernak)

9 hours ago, rawkdrummer said:

trade Podkolzin? really???

Keep Toffoli, Boeser, Virtanen, and MacEwen for the long term so the right side continues to be a strong suit + clear 12 million in cap space with Beagle and Roussel (via Podkolzin sweetener) + Eriksson (via 2021 1st sweetener).

12 million off the books + LTIR Ferland + 50% retention on Baertschi + letting Markstrom and Tanev walk = having enough money to reup all of our RFA’s both this off season and next off season.   We could also walk from Benn and Sutter at the end of next season for extra cap.

Not only that, but you can take advantage of a cap strapped team like Tampa and bring in a guy like Cernak (maybe Lind and Rathbone gets it done?)

2020-2021:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Virtanen-Sutter-MacEwen

Motte-Gaudette-Bailey

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Cernak

Juolevi-Stecher

Benn

Demko

[Greiss or Talbot]

-RFA’s of the 2020 off season all comfortably re-upped to establish core for many years.

-Lots of cap space available to reup Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes.

-Possibly still enough cap space to bring in a high ticket UFA in the following season or take advantage of other cap strapped teams to bring in a good RFA who fits our age demographic.

20 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Goals achieved:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Virtanen-Sutter-Leivo

Motte-Gaudette-MacEwen

Lind

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Stecher

Benn

Demko

1ABackUp

Please do not make trade proposals. All you ever want to do is make the team worse. Can you do me a solid and cheer for EDM? They like gutting their team and playing for draft picks too