The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

14 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Re-watching Whittaker Romero 2 and god damn do I like Whittaker. Adesanya is like the polar opposite of Romero when it comes to movement, so it will be interesting to see how Saturday shakes out. 

I love Bobby Knuckles but I am calling Stylebender in this one.

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I love Bobby Knuckles but I am calling Stylebender in this one.

I think a lot of Adesanya's success against Gastelum came from counter punches where Gastelum put himself off balance due to the reach disadvantage. Won't be the same degree of disadvantage for Whittaker.

Off Topic: My first BJJ class is tomorrow. Anyone with advice?

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I think a lot of Adesanya's success against Gastelum came from counter punches where Gastelum put himself off balance due to the reach disadvantage. Won't be the same degree of disadvantage for Whittaker.

Gastelum has 71.5 reach, Whittaker has 73.5, Adesanya has 80.

Reach is important but a fighters height and stance are big factors too.

I'm picking Adesanya due to his technical striking and how active he has been...6 fights since Feb 2018 and he is undefeated in his career. The only question I had was his durability and I think he answered that in the Kelvin fight. Don't get me wrong Whittaker is a beast, it could very easily go the other way.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

This is awesome man!

Good for you. I'll save any technical advice as you should empty your cup and listen to the trainers.

They should warm you up and go through proper stretching before you start. I suggest you get a good night sleep and drink lots of water. You are going to be sore the next day as with any new exercises but I imagine you will come home buzzing.

I haven't rolled in about 10 years. I used to cross-train with some MMA guys, they called what we did 'grappling for MMA'.

Like you I am planning to try out proper BJJ when I move later this year. I'll let you know if I follow through with my plans.

Good luck, please post how it goes.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Gastelum has 71.5 reach, Whittaker has 73.5, Adesanya has 80.

Reach is important but a fighters height and stance are big factors too.

I'm picking Adesanya due to his technical striking and how active he has been...6 fights since Feb 2018 and he is undefeated in his career. The only question I had was his durability and I think he answered that in the Kelvin fight. Don't get me wrong Whittaker is a beast, it could very easily go the other way.

This is awesome man!

Good for you. I'll save any technical advice as you should empty your cup and listen to the trainers.

They should warm you up and go through proper stretching before you start. I suggest you get a good night sleep and drink lots of water. You are going to be sore the next day as with any new exercises but I imagine you will come home buzzing.

I haven't rolled in about 10 years. I used to cross-train with some MMA guys, they called what we did 'grappling for MMA'.

Like you I am planning to try out proper BJJ when I move later this year. I'll let you know if I follow through with my plans.

Good luck, please post how it goes.

I'm just thinking back to my first Muay Thai class where I could barely even hold the pads up for my partner let alone throw combinations of my own. The first class is always an eye-opener.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Good grief Israel. 

Looking past Bobby Knuckles towards a larger mountain could be a bad mind set. You have a massive task on your hands as it is. 

Morning Report: Israel Adesanya ‘definitely’ interested in Stipe Miocic superfight in the future

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10/2/20894768/morning-report-israel-adesanya-definitely-interested-in-stipe-miocic-superfight-in-the-future

Edited by bishopshodan

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Good grief Israel. 

Looking past Bobby Knuckles towards a larger mountain could be a bad mind set. You have a massive task on your hands as it is. 

Morning Report: Israel Adesanya ‘definitely’ interested in Stipe Miocic superfight in the future

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10/2/20894768/morning-report-israel-adesanya-definitely-interested-in-stipe-miocic-superfight-in-the-future

“If they’re talking about you doing a superfight, then skip light heavyweight and go straight to heavyweight,” Bareman said. “No one’s done that. I think Stipe. Stipe would be the one I’d like to fight.”

“Yeah, definitely,” Adesanya agreed. “I like the way he’s thinking. [Everyone laughs]. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”

It's moreso his coach doing the big talking. 

On 10/1/2019 at 8:14 AM, Down by the River said:

Get used to being sore all the time and don't roll with douchebags who like to show off against beginners.  Get additional health coverage.  Everyone I know who has done was hurt pretty good at some point. 

I loved it but the wear and tear is too much for me. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

It's moreso his coach doing the big talking. 

Its both of them. They are being interviewed together. The vid is embedded in the article. 

But it's just posturing and yappin....little Conor was saying the same thing for a while, was gonna get all the belts. Other fighters have made the same silly claims in the past. 

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Get used to being sore all the time and don't roll with douchebags who like to show off against beginners.  Get additional health coverage.  Everyone I know who has done was hurt pretty good at some point. 

I loved it but the wear and tear is too much for me. 

I went to a Gracie Barra location in the Lower Mainland. Seemed really good. I'm definitely just here because the gym bores me and not because I've got something to prove. 

I was in a small class today and the guy that I was partnered with was really helpful. He understood that teaching made him understand things better, so he wasn't just frustrated with some new person that he had to hand-hold for a class. 

I'm definitely freakin sore though. Especially neck area. Part of what sucks... but its something I experience regardless of what I'm doing, is that I'm 5'8-5'9 and 140lbs on a good day, so there is hardly ever someone my size to partner with. Probably won't be as bad doing jiu--jitsu though (compared to Muay Thai).

Tagging @bishopshodan for the info.

EDIT: If anyone cares, I'd say that a first Muay Thai class is much more physically exhausting. My first jiu-jitsu class was a lot more cerebral and then ended with basically just getting dominated (in a friendly way) by someone I was trying to hip-escape from. This was definitely what made me feel more sore. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:14 AM, Down by the River said:

Hey there I’m 6 or 7 classes in to BJJ with zero martial arts training and only dabbling in boxing when I was younger.

I feel I am fortunate to have found and academy with good people and an extremely learned instructor who has a very calm and approachable attitude.  I wanted no part of a meathead environment with people looking to prove something.

i absolutely love it so far.  It is very stimulating for both mind and body.  I was looking for not only a new form of exercise to diversify my week but even more so, something to learn.  I find I am missing out on mental challenges and learning as I’m getting older and I feel it is important to do so.

i don’t really have advice other than maybe check a few academies out to find one that feels right.  The instructor you choose will help you from the start, obviously, so I am not much of a help with advice.

just relax.  You’ll know what I mean very quickly.  It’s really fun and I believe I will definitely stick with it.

comparatively I am also taking Muay Thai kb and though I love the workout.  It’s the most intense exercise I have ever done.  That being said, at 43, with a working life in construction I’m finding it hard on my shoulder joints.  I’m hoping this is just part of that 3-4 week pain window with any new form of exercise.  But if it doesn’t cease I will have to consider only continuing with bjj.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I went to a Gracie Barra location in the Lower Mainland. Seemed really good. I'm definitely just here because the gym bores me and not because I've got something to prove. 

I was in a small class today and the guy that I was partnered with was really helpful. He understood that teaching made him understand things better, so he wasn't just frustrated with some new person that he had to hand-hold for a class. 

I'm definitely freakin sore though. Especially neck area. Part of what sucks... but its something I experience regardless of what I'm doing, is that I'm 5'8-5'9 and 140lbs on a good day, so there is hardly ever someone my size to partner with. Probably won't be as bad doing jiu--jitsu though (compared to Muay Thai).

Tagging @bishopshodan for the info.

EDIT: If anyone cares, I'd say that a first Muay Thai class is much more physically exhausting. My first jiu-jitsu class was a lot more cerebral and then ended with basically just getting dominated (in a friendly way) by someone I was trying to hip-escape from. This was definitely what made me feel more sore. 

Having done both I agree that muay thai beats you up. With BJJ was the joints along with muscles.  A good teacher and group makes all the difference. 

I did mostly no gi BJJ after the first year. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2019 at 10:38 AM, Chicken. said:

Fiiight weeekkk !  War Whittaker 

Man has Bispings eye always been like this ? Jesus..

Oh, I knew it was buggered, but I had no idea it was like that!

I still think Whittaker is going to lose...but crap like this should be mega motivation....Stylebender, and now Dana going on about larger champs before even fighting Whittaker. 

..and we're most likely to see GSP agian...

Dana White does a complete 180, green lights Khabib vs St-Pierre, Jones vs Adesanya

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/10/3/20896804/ufc-dana-white-does-complete-180-green-lights-jones-vs-adesanya-khabib-vs-st-pierre-mma

Edited by bishopshodan

Rob will humble Israel. Israel has gotten way too ahead of himself and the new found fame and attention has gotten to his head. He BARELY beat a bloated welter weight who almost finished him in the 3rd round but didn't have the killer instinct. Rob is another level of toughness and resilience. Israel has never fought someone like him. Surviving 10 full rounds with Romero is insane. 

Edited by RRypien37

19 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Unless I'm ignorant of something, this card doesn't have much to get excited about aside from the main event (which I'm extremely excited for) and the co-main (I've got Hooker winning). Anyone want to correct me on this? Not all that interested in Tuivasa. 

Yeah. Main event has amazing potential. Co main is probably a main event on a none PPV card, good opponents but nothing crazy. The heavies will be a banger but nothing to right home about. The Aussie fans got shafted with a weak card again. 

Edited by RRypien37

30 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Yeah. Main event has amazing potential. Co main is probably a main event on a none PPV card, good opponents but nothing crazy. The heavies will be a banger but nothing to right home about. The Aussie fans got shafted with a weak card again. 

Welp… I was certainly wrong about Riddell/Mullarkey.